Tell Us About Your Profession

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Ok, I'll bite. I am an executive in the Reinsurance industry. Because I've met only a handful of nonindustry people who have ever heard of it, I will post a link to the wikipedia article. Reinsurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Think Lloyds of London. I have been doing this since I got out of college in the 1990's. I do the job and get to do things that I could have only dreamed of doing as a kid. Travel on private jets, parties and gatherings in the most exotic locations where nearly every single person I encounter and work with is in the 1%. I've been everywhere and done a lot. This is not insurance but completely different. I rarely talk about what I do with people outside of the industry because they wouldn't believe me or just come off as arrogant which certainly you have all seen here with some of my posts. I was raised a dirt poor kid from the sticks and the fact I do what I do and live how I live is a testament to what is possible in America. I have an interesting take on life being brought up to dislike and blame the well-to-do for our poor lot in life (in the Reagan years) but have been one of them for a lot of years now. I tend to see things from both sides of the coin but generally favor the more practical lifestyle.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That's simple....you insure insurance policies/companies. There could be someone to insure that as well. Simply spread the risk.

Prolly a interesting job when you get into it.

lynch55

Dec 14, 2011
:yes:Hell Yes! I envy you guy and don't ever let anyone say they can't make it because of their upbringing or poorness!:biggrin:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
You can go as far as you want to limit yourself, I have always felt. You limit what you do.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Interesting thread!

I may have about the most unusual job in the world. I was being interviewed by my hometown newspaper the other day about my career and I told them that "sometimes you pick your career in life, and other times your career picks you." I fall into the latter category.

As a professional firearms trainer, I teach people how to shoot guns. Most of my time these days is spent in the Hollywood film industry, working with actors and keeping them safe when handling guns and showing them how to look like they know what they are doing with a gun in their hand.

I have been doing this work for close to 20 years now, and I have reached a point in my career where I am often asked to travel the country teaching others in the film industry about how I do my job.

I was even on an episode of the Discovery Channel a few weeks ago, discussing what went wrong the night Brandon Lee died on the set of "The Crow" and the procedures they should have followed to prevent that. Coincidentally, the episode aired on the 19th anniversary of his death.

There were a lot of lessons learned that night. It was tragic that a promising and talented actor lost his life to a series of small mistakes, but it would have been doubly tragic if a life had been lost and lessons were NOT learned. I have dedicated a good part of my career to make sure that DOESN'T happen.

In the meantime, I have been very fortunate in life to have met and worked with an awful lot of very talented people both in front of and behind the camera.

I also look forward to growing this community of enthusiasts and eventually meeting some of the other people in my hometown from this forum. I am always fascinated by the great variety of workplaces out there and the passion that people put into their occupations.

jayzx6r

Apr 21, 2012
What: Railroad Electrician.
Where: I work for Norfolk Southern at the Juniata Locomotive Shop. It's one of the largest shops of it's type at one time it was the largest in the world. We are the only shop in the US that can strip a locomotive to it's frame and rebuild it from the ground up.
What I do: Repairing/Breaking , building/rebuilding, upgrading/modifying, general maintenance, heavy and running repairs of locomotives.
How long: Been there 6 1/2 years.
Why: The paycheck and well the entertainment.

Tarnished

Dec 3, 2011
I'm a retired military veteran.. USAF to be exact. Joined when I was 17, and retired at 40.. after being in almost every conflict and war since Panama.
I retired in 09.. and now I work for 4 different private overseas civilian contract companies as a private military consultant contractor; or I do if one of those companies should win a bid.
I do pretty much the same thing I did during active duty, except with less priority, and 100 times more pay.

Apart from that, I work as a lab technician at one job, and a combat skills instructor at another stateside job. And then I sometimes build scoots on the side.
I can't stand not doing anything.. so I keep myself busy doing those things while awaiting a new overseas contract.

I joined the oil spill cleanup effort after the Deepwater Horizon spill, and was able to obtain a pretty good lab tech job, which I might just turn into my primary career when I get sick of everything else.

Yeah.. I am still learning how to be retired.. and how to be a civilian.. albeit very slowly..

MMIN

Feb 26, 2012
Car Audio is almost dead but I own a small Mobile Electronics shop and we are busy as can be. We work with a lot of local car dealers and do retail as well. Don't schedule much for Saturday but today I put remote starters in a 2013 Mustang, a 2012 RAV4, and a JL amp in a F-350 among other things. Working on brand new cars is great but you have to be spot on there is no room for error. My original profession was web design and while I could've made a lot more money I couldn't sit at a computer for 8 hours a day.. Everyday is fun, different, and frustrating in its own way but I wouldn't give it up for anything.

As a guy who has hit 30 let me spread some advice to the younger crowd:

Life IS short.. Do whatever you want to do.. Money does not matter and you can die any way, any day. Be responsible, don't be dumb but take risks, take chances, and see what happens. If you fail, it doesn't matter. Come up with a different plan and try again!

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
jayzx6r said:
What: Railroad Electrician.
Where: I work for Norfolk Southern at the Juniata Locomotive Shop. It's one of the largest shops of it's type at one time it was the largest in the world...

That's cool!
Juniata and Altoona are pretty famous loco shops indeed.
I'd give up my 6 digit annual salary to go work there.
It's probably every foamers dream to work there.

'Honey!!! Could you get me a paper towel? I'm drooling with envy again!'

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
After 24 years in retail assembly business which started with Huffy, I'm retired-not. I say that I'm retired but am now busier than ever. I have my own businesses going for the past 18 months where I provide after market lighting for autos, designing/marketing custom door sills/bumper plates, chrome mesh grills, powdercoating, and alot of "tweaking" to the TBSS. I'm also a senior director with Wowwe phone based HD video email/conferencing and show people how to break from this dismal economy and make as much money as they want from home.
The Huffy job I thought was just a stepping stone but actually made me into a top tech and trainer. Not only did I assemble over 80,000 bikes in my career but my one day out put of 80 assembled in 8 hours is a standard few ever reached. Having 2 college degrees in Draft/Design & also education led to me helping to revamp the assembly procedure by standardizing/streamlining it to be safer, more ergonomic & productive and producing a video nationwide for the company.
But now with the communciation technology sector exploding I have jumped fully into promoting the next leading company in communications. And its fun as well as lucrative. Oh and I have a 160 acre farm in Iowa that I help manage. Guess I'm a jack of all trades.
:smile:

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
In a past career I was a network support engineer for Best Buy and Target Stores. My job was sent overseas in '08, and I've transistioned to a field technician for Ericsson services supporting Clearwire and Sprint mobile networks. It's all been fun, and I wouldn't trade it for the world!

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
MMIN said:
As a guy who has hit 30 let me spread some advice to the younger crowd:

Life IS short.. Do whatever you want to do.. Money does not matter and you can die any way, any day. Be responsible, don't be dumb but take risks, take chances, and see what happens. If you fail, it doesn't matter. Come up with a different plan and try again!

:iagree: I am over 30 and I have followed this adivce. Actually its the reason why I ended up moving to the US and marrying the most wonderful woman in the world :wootwoot:

Anyway as for what I do, I work for one of the top 3 pharmacy drug stores as a field technician providing IT support. My office is the basically the road :cool:

RedLabrador

Apr 22, 2012
Where: Caledonia Michigan, Southeast of Grand Rapids
What: I work for a division of Farmers Insurance known as Foremost Auto/Bristol West Insurance. I service auto policies (add/delete/change drivers/vehicles/coverage etc, I also examine policy documents). Love what I do, and the people I work with. It's a call center job, I take about 50-60 calls/day in an 8 hour shift. Some calls are simple (how much do I owe, can I make a payment?) others require a lot of work and follow up (pay plan changes, term changes). I see a lot of interesting stuff, laundry lists of driving violations (all the while wondering, how can you still drive?)

I went to school for a History degree in Secondary Education. At Farmers, I get paid more and don't have to deal with high school kids right now.

jayzx6r

Apr 21, 2012
06Envoy said:
That's cool!
Juniata and Altoona are pretty famous loco shops indeed.
I'd give up my 6 digit annual salary to go work there.
It's probably every foamers dream to work there.

'Honey!!! Could you get me a paper towel? I'm drooling with envy again!'

Ha ha, we have few working there now. Some are out and some are still in the closet. :rotfl:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Been in training for almost 10 weeks now but as of last Friday I passed my final must pass test to become an AT&T Premise Technician, Deal mostly with Uverse Installation and Repair. Plan on sticking there until they drag me out.:smile: From my training and getting a feel for the job on ride along/shadow weeks I love it. Also got paired up with an awesome co worker for shadow weeks that had me managing a full install before I stepped foot in wire week training its been a long stressful process we have had two guys let go, basically If you don't pass at AT&T you are terminated and must report to your garage manage to turn in your phone So I was kinda on edge but now I have passed with all 100s and only have 2 weeks left of wrap up training and then I will be out in the field! Its been a wild ride since climbing 35ft poles on week one till now, wouldn't have it any other way!

plaen

Dec 4, 2011
Where: Catholic Health Initiatives
What:infrastructure server support/the only MS system center configuration manager admin at the company, I manage, maintain, and deploy everything SCCM. Along with fixing servers that crap out, decomm old ones, build new ones, I also am helping in the setup of system center ops manager for the company for monitoring and proactive alerting before an application goes down. Since I work days and nights, after hours when someone needs something fixed, I usually get the call. With the infrastructure being 3500 servers, it keeps me very busy, but my management keeps adding more stuff for me to do, lol.
Why:Been taking apart computers and other electronics since I was 3, and knew growing up that's what I wanted to do for a living.
How long:Been at CHI for 9 months now, before that, 7 years at Lockheed Martin, before they contracted out their t3 and lower IT staff.

Only bad thing about my position, when a medical app goes down, someone's life could be on the line, but the pay makes up for it.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
well I joined the Army when I was 17 and stayed in for a really long time(20+), but after retiring, i'm still looking for work

my background is in Materials/Warehouse Management and I got my CPIM a few years back

seems like some places just don't like my recent experience overseas :banghead:

once I get picked up somewhere, i'll update this thread

lynch55

Dec 14, 2011
redleg6 said:
well I joined the Army when I was 17 and stayed in for a really long time(20+), but after retiring, i'm still looking for work

my background is in Materials/Warehouse Management and I got my CPIM a few years back

man! Go figure! People who served our country should be given top priorety when it comes to jobs, but they're not! Damned shame though! Keep your head up and don't give up!

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
Been in training for almost 10 weeks now but as of last Friday I passed my final must pass test to become an AT&T Premise Technician, Deal mostly with Uverse Installation and Repair. Plan on sticking there until they drag me out.:smile: From my training and getting a feel for the job on ride along/shadow weeks I love it. Also got paired up with an awesome co worker for shadow weeks that had me managing a full install before I stepped foot in wire week training its been a long stressful process we have had two guys let go, basically If you don't pass at AT&T you are terminated and must report to your garage manage to turn in your phone So I was kinda on edge but now I have passed with all 100s and only have 2 weeks left of wrap up training and then I will be out in the field! Its been a wild ride since climbing 35ft poles on week one till now, wouldn't have it any other way!

Good luck in the winter. I use to work for Time Warner Cable in OH before moving to FL and the winters were brutal carrying that ladder though the snow drifts and blizzards and not being able to feel your fingers sucks. But all in all I did have fun

Decembersend

Dec 3, 2011
Where: Air Experts in Bradenton, Florida

I'm the IT guy/Future permanent AC installer, still in training should be good to go in the next three weeks depending on whether or not we get our new truck. The money is great and the boss/owner turned out to be a good friend can't ask for anything more. :biggrin:

BaDAppLe

Jun 28, 2012
I work as a Stationary Engineer at a meat plant which involves steam boilers and refrigeration. I also supervise our waste treatment program which involves mechanical and chemical processes used to remove grease,and solids from the water prior to going into the city sewer.
I am in my 16th year with the company.The reason why I do it is to buy more toys such as trucks,snowmobiles,boat,land,and guns! Oh and to help put my daughter through college!

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
BaDAppLe said:
I work as a Stationary Engineer at a meat plant which involves steam boilers and refrigeration. I also supervise our waste treatment program which involves mechanical and chemical processes used to remove grease,and solids from the water prior to going into the city sewer.
I am in my 16th year with the company.The reason why I do it is to buy more toys such as trucks,snowmobiles,boat,land,and guns! Oh and to help put my daughter through college!

Stationary engineer. Same things as a power engineer in Canada. I run boilers and pressure vessels. I work at a sour gas plant. Is your steam ticket government regulated? We are and there is a HUGE demand for my ticket right now.

BaDAppLe

Jun 28, 2012
am-radio said:
Stationary engineer. Same things as a power engineer in Canada. I run boilers and pressure vessels. I work at a sour gas plant. Is your steam ticket government regulated? We are and there is a HUGE demand for my ticket right now.

We are regulated by the government yes as far as boiler specs and such. As far as having a licensed stationary engineer at every plant with steam vessels it varys by the area. I'm approx 20min from the Peace Bridge at my work. I live about a hour away from the border.

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
BaDAppLe said:
We are regulated by the government yes as far as boiler specs and such. As far as having a licensed stationary engineer at every plant with steam vessels it varys by the area. I'm approx 20min from the Peace Bridge at my work. I live about a hour away from the border.

Weird how the same trade varies from Canada to the USA. Everyone steam or pressure vessel is required to be operated by a ticketed operator in Canada. If you want to work in Fort McMurray, Alberta, you'd start at over $100,000 a year with no experience.

Joey71

Jun 5, 2012
Just thought that we all here make a living and love our vehicles. So why dont we post what we do for a living and maybe who ever is local might need your help or discount in what ever field your in..
Ill start..
Im a Director of fleet and of Global Operations of a Limo Company in New York call Partners Executive Transportation

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio

Laynlow02

Apr 28, 2012
I manage a gentlemans club. :wootwoot: I work for the same company that ownes the Penthouse Clubs in New Orleans and Baton Rouge. It was only supposed to be a temporary job to pay the bills while i found another job, but I've been here for almost 4 years. I started out bouncing and DJing, but I was promoted within a matter of months. I don't think an explanation is needed as for why I do it or if I enjoy it... Ha! Basically, I babysit a bunch of girls 5-7 nights a week. The pay and benefits are great. I work for/with a great group of people. The only downside is the little bit of family time I have. I'm normally getting home when the wife and kids are leaving for work and school. Other than that, I can't complain too much...

20rainier04

Aug 1, 2012
Where: NYC

What: Firefighter

Why: Always wanted to be one

How long: 11+ years

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
So I'm Production Manager with a marine simulation company. Responsible for procurement, manufacturing, integration, QA, installations, and what ever else gets thrown my way. To put it as simple as possible we build big computers games that are used for marine vessel training, survival and search and rescue are the major players. I don't like to mix my private and business life so if anyone has interest in what my company does private message me and we can chat. I'd rather not just throw it out in the public domain.
Cheers,
NewfieEnvoy

bravad'oh

Sep 15, 2012
I am a field service heavy equipment mechanic for a golf course construction company. We build new courses and do renovations, sometimes to clubs that have been around for over 100 years. I maintain the equipment, farm tractors, dozers, excavators( high hoes ), pickups and the like. Plus I am the company electrician, plumber, carpenter, and IT guy. Whatever needs done. Its a good job that lets me see alot of our province and even our country that I would not otherwise be able to.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Haven't updated this. Went from a customer service rep and promoted to On the Job Trainer back in October. My job is to help train our new CSRs and show them the ropes. I'll hopefully be updating this again in a few weeks. Working on another good opportunity.

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
A profession people frown upon. You be the judge.

BO TIE SS

Nov 18, 2011
Ghost said:
A profession people frown upon. You be the judge.
Politician? :biggrin:

Duffntx68

Jan 8, 2012
I served 20 years in the US Army 8 years as a helicopter crewchief and 12 years as a combat medic. I felt the pain of finding a job when I moved home as well! :crazy: The only place that would hire me was a jail as a corrections officer making 10 bucks an hour! Fortunately I was recently hired on at US Xpress in Chattanooga, TN as a dispatcher 6 months ago making well more than a corrections officer.

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
redleg6 said:

forgot to update:
now employed with the USDA in Kansas City, MO as a Inventory Management Specialist in the Network Operations Branch since mid-November :wootwoot:

jake 03

Jan 3, 2013
Currently; heavy line tech at a gm dealship,have been here little over a year and love it so far.

Before that; tech in an independent shop working on everything from cars to class 8s.
I love anything automotive and build cars in my garage for fun.

97blazer

Nov 23, 2012
I didn't read this entire thread but I did see a couple of mechanical types. Jake prompted my post. I'm supposed to be retired but my cousin needed some help to get some trucks ready for a big truck show in May. Presently we're assembling an older Cummins diesel. Next will be a later model that will be swapped into an older Peterbilt.

Early and later as used above are relative terms. Everything is pre mid-1960's

Here's the truck:
View attachment 25814

Attachments

• P1020002.jpg
    P1020002.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 13

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67