Tech 2 scanner: what is the trailblazers productline code?

chipjumper

Original poster
May 4, 2014
I hooked up a tech 2 that I recently purchased, and it is asking me for the product code which apparently is some sort of letter. Does anyone know where I can find a list of product line codes? I know that the GM trucks are the C and K series

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just kept trying until I found it. Could correspond to a letter in the VIN

chipjumper

Original poster
May 4, 2014
Good call, I kept playing with it until I found the correct code. The correct product line code is "S".

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429569768.031105.jpg

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
Is s the 8th digit in your vin?

chipjumper

Original poster
May 4, 2014
Coincidently it is. I thought the eighth digit of the VIN was the engine code though. I should try to see if my old Colorado's eight digit was an "S" even though it had a different motor.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just out of pure curiosity, how much and where did you pick up your Tech2?

chipjumper

Original poster
May 4, 2014
$280 shipped. I believe it is authentic; prove me wrong :wink: Includes CANdi module.

chipjumper

Original poster
May 4, 2014
Here is a link to the specific seller:

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6592444430.html

I'm assuming this is real and authentic; that's my story and I'm sticking to it. It functions at 100%. There seem to be a zillion retailers so buyer beware.

Reactions: Mounce

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck but came from China, it's a cloned duck. Probably smells like egg rolls too. But they copy them so damn good that you can't tell them apart. Some have reported failing within months and can't be repaired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogxTadwPxjw

But at that price, I might still be tempted :undecided:

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
At $280, if it saves you three trips to a dealer before it breaks you still come out ahead :lipsrsealed:

May 22, 2012
Can I disable the DRLs with this tech 2 tool? Any one near Oaks, PA have one that can do this for me?

What else could I do with this to justify $300?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Avoid 3 trips to the dealer.

chipjumper

Original poster
May 4, 2014
Team Dougherty said:
Can I disable the DRLs with this tech 2 tool? What else could I do with this to justify $300?
As far as I know, this will not disable the DRL safety feature. I don't want to sound sarcastic but did you disable the Airbag and Seatbelt systems too? The Daytime Running Lights feature is a substantial innovation in road safety. GM's voluntary changeover has saved countless lives. All of this at the effective cost of a couple bucks a year to the owner. With all of the over-regulation in this country, I'm surprised that Sylvania Osram haven't lobbied congress to mandate DRL's like Canada did. My vision has been getting worse as I grow older. DRL's make a vehicle stand out when the sun is low yet it is still daylight. They also make cars easier to see in your rear view mirrors. I live in a very rural area and they also make it easier for ranging/decision making (regarding oncoming traffic) when attempting to pass a vehicle. To each his own...

I believe there are threads here that show you how to pull the DRL fuse or do some sort of jumper. It isn't that difficult.

Reactions: Texan

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
DRL killer is well documented all over this forum. You definitely got a Chinese knockoff at that price. Genuine ones are well over $1K. I think you still have to have a subscription to a database to get the most out of it don't you?
Tempting though seeing that is at least functions. Many do not. Interesting to see what it'll actually do. If anything. Good luck! Hope it's worth the $$ not likely to be returnable/warrantied.

chipjumper

Original poster
May 4, 2014
Tiggs it has been working great. Actually, you only need to connect to GM's online network if you need to download calibration ID files. Cal ID's are downloaded from Techline. You make a good point though - MANY pro GM techs insist on having both the Tech 2 and a MDI unit. Yeah - the MDI can work as an interface to use the "virtual" PC emulator of the Tech 2 but it is a pain in the butt to hook all that crap up. The Tech 2 will be around for at least another decade.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
From what I understand, basically everything new from 2012ish and newer will require the new setup, that MDI. But yeah tech2 is still way useful for everything else without a doubt. I thought you had to be able to access GM to do a relearn or any real changes with that. Like if you were gonna do an engine swap, BCM LGM PCM power window switch, swap that type of thing.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
I am pro DRL, but my BIL has been a duck hunter all of his life and
drives 4WD Suburban's. His solution to turning the DRL off while
going to a blind was to slightly depress the emergency brake.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Texan said:
I am pro DRL, but my BIL has been a duck hunter all of his life and
drives 4WD Suburban's. His solution to turning the DRL off while
going to a blind was to slightly depress the emergency brake.
My old suburban had a fuse you could pull for the DRL. In the end of the dash on drivers side. Mine was a '99.

My only beef with DRL is its only the headlights. No tail lights. All these ppl drive around with just their DRL in the rain. The auto headlights that most cars have now won't kick on the full lights. You can't see these fools on the hwy. No tail lights. They ride around oblivious. I drive for a living and hate that sh**

They have all these cars now with rain sensing wipers, they need to tie the full lights into that.

End of speech lol

May 22, 2012
I installed the DRL killer mentioned on here and the other site. It works well. The issue is I loose perimeter lighting with that device. I was just wondering since DRL delete in an option from GM if the tech tools could do it. RPO T62 is the DRL delete option.

Camdo

May 16, 2015
chipjumper said:
I hooked up a tech 2 that I recently purchased, and it is asking me for the product code which apparently is some sort of letter. Does anyone know where I can find a list of product line codes? I know that the GM trucks are the C and K series

felicie said:
Is s the 8th digit in your vin?

TECH2's request for 'product line' is the 5th position of the vehicle identification number (VIN).
For 2005 Envoy:
use "S" for two wheel drive trucks
use "T" for 4x4

Here is the VIN breakdown
http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/13670-vin-2005/

Reactions: Mooseman

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
I think it more wants to know which engine you have, which will tell which computer is there. Which is the 8 digit in GM's vins

Camdo

May 16, 2015
felicie said:
I think it more wants to know which engine you have, which will tell which computer is there. Which is the 8 digit in GM's vins
The engine type is entered further down in the powertrain section.

For my 2005 GMC Envoy 4x4 with 4.2L I6
The Tech2 startup amble goes like this:

1. Power on
2. one beep - means Tech2 system is okay
3. Main Menu > F0 Diagnostics
4. Model Year > (5) 2005
5. Vehicle Type > LD TRK, MPV, INCOMPLETE
6. Product Make > (T) GMC TRUCK
7. Product Line > T
8. Product Series > Envoy
9. F0: Powertrain ->(S) 4.2L L6 LL8

swede

Jun 22, 2014
Team Dougherty said:
I installed the DRL killer mentioned on here and the other site. It works well. The issue is I loose perimeter lighting with that device. I was just wondering since DRL delete in an option from GM if the tech tools could do it. RPO T62 is the DRL delete option.
The DRL delete is in the BCM program, you need to reprogram the BCM to get DRL delete. But if you reprogram the BCM you need to find a software that have all your other options too. Search my threads about reprogram the BCM lots of info there.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online