Tech 2 module reprogramming 2007 nbs Sierra

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
It may or may not work. As per my first post on Tis2000:

Since it's an NBS (a late 2007/2008), it may not have been included in the last update of Tis2000.

This will become more and more the situation as older trucks die off and newer ones replace them. We won't be able to use our Tech 2 with Tis2000 to update modules. We may need to do some research on other software or methods.

Mooseman... You're a guy that seems to know things... here is where I'm at:
- Got the Tech 2 and all the downloads etc, I think the computer and Tech 2 are squared away.
- 2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel SLT
-Problem - The passenger side mirror controls, door lock, heated seat controls, and backlighting in the switch modules don't work/respond. (I also noticed - oddly, that when you open the door at get in - I can hear the radio acting like it's searching/playing a dvd or cd... everything is off, but it appears to be "running"
- I was able to hook up tech 2 and go into diagnostics and go to passenger door switch (PDS) menu and force all these door functions to work (which was one of the greater thrills of my life)
- I have replaced the PDS with a new one and it behaves EXACTLY the same as the old one - making me think it's not that.
- I got a new body control module (BCM) and swapped that out - to my surprise the truck started right up - all the functions in the truck worked just like before with the old one, including the messed up passenger side stuff, but the radio showed theft system activated message (Theft lock, I think)
-When I tried to use the tech2 to get to the BCM, (both the old and the new) I can usually get to it, navigate to a special function menu and select a component in the list to manipulate (like rear door windows) but immediately after you select it and it starts to show the screen where you can manipulate it the tech 2 goes to a screen that says there is no connection.
-When you try and use TIS to reporgram the BCM (you have to select ECU in the software menus prior to when TIS tells you to connect everything together) it searches for a bit - clicks inside the CANdi - and tells you it cannot connect.
-Same connection issue when you attempt to connect to the "powertrain" from the tech 2 menu
-In some cases it tells you it has no connectivity to the VCIM/Onstar module

I'm running out of ideas but This is what I figured I'd try:
-Pull the radio unit (its possible the previous owner put in an aftermarket and then before selling took it back out in put the factory back in?) and see if it was the causing the stroke like symptoms on the passenger side
-Try the "old body style" menu options in TIS to again attempt to reflash the "old" BCM with the "old" PDS installed

= Is there a function for a test of the various modules (ECU, VCIM, etc) so that I can test them directly to see that they are "good" units?

= Any thoughts on my situation/plan?
Cheers,
Jon

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Regardless of what Tis2000 is able to program, the Tech 2 should be able to communicate with all the modules. I'm thinking one of them is messing up the bus.

And by replacing the BCM and not able to program it to the VIN, this will cause issues with the radio and not having proper options working. Maybe it's causing the issues, especially if it was used. Try putting the original BCM back and see what happens. Possibly your PDM was faulty or lost its programming and then replacing it didn't help.

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
I was able to get the software installed and activated. The unit works fine. When attempting to reprogram the passenger door switch (PDS) in my 2007 gmc 2500hd new body style it will allow you to do everything up to the point where you've already selected the PDS and then its asking for you to pick the type of mirror you have - doesn't seem to matter which one you pick you get a pop up the error message that the NAODRUI Control - programming information is not accessible or available (or something like that)
== It looks like it doesn't contain the program profile that accounts for the mirror controls. (is that the kiss of death - meaning it can't work with my 07?)
Same thing happens when you try and do the DDS (driver's door switch).

The body control module reprogramming fails because after you go to the calibration screen and click the profile you want to program (from the list of numbers is uses for software profiles (do you have to pick a specific tab?) - and click next - it goes to the data transfer screen and acts as if you've already hit the REPROG button - everything is grayed out and it looks as if its already started trying to transfer data. but it won't do it, it just stays in that screen with zero progress permanently.
I have TIS 27.010 and GM 33.004 ... I don't know...
Any ideas?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't have a clue. I have not had the opportunity to program a BCM. I have updated the PDM in my 06 Saab and reprogrammed an 05 PCM with 06 software.

Are you selecting to program a NEW module? That's how it's done because it will wipe whatever is on the module and load the proper software. It doesn't matter if it's a used module. That's how I did the PCM.

Dec 5, 2016
St.Louis
Since I dont use the tis cd and the tech2 to load data into the bcm or any other module for that reason I cant really tell you whats wrong.

Do you have access to a j2534 pass thru device? I program 03-06-07 classic BCMs off the car in just a matter of minutes with sps. I could walk you thru that.

What radio do you have? If its a nav unit you can just clear the vin from it and it will work with the new bcm without a reprogram of the bcm. If the BCM contains the correct vin the radio of course would be unlocked.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This member built his own benchtop system to program PCM's, BCM's and radios. Could add the door modules connector (driver and passenger are the same). Just need to pick some up with an OBD port in a pick-a-part and put it together.
P10 PCM Benchtop harness with BCM\Radio support?

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
Since I dont use the tis cd and the tech2 to load data into the bcm or any other module for that reason I cant really tell you whats wrong.

Do you have access to a j2534 pass thru device? I program 03-06-07 classic BCMs off the car in just a matter of minutes with sps. I could walk you thru that.

What radio do you have? If its a nav unit you can just clear the vin from it and it will work with the new bcm without a reprogram of the bcm. If the BCM contains the correct vin the radio of course would be unlocked.

Thank you for posting. Sorry to you and Moose that I haven't been on the forum in awhile --- I was too busy to play with this issue (taking finals) and I was also waiting on a new 32MB card with nao 33.004 on it (after I told the guy I bought it from about the issues I was having he suggested a new pcmcia card--- waited to get it.. tried it again... no difference.)

Let me catch you (and any other readers) up on where I am at...

PATIENT: 2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD (LMM Diesel) SLT new body style nbs

COMPLAINT: Passenger side power mirror controls/heater, mirror turn signal, seat heater controls, door lock (no signal from any source will lock the door), and back lighting for control switches do no function. Also, possibly related, the factory Nav radio periodically - while the truck is off - will start spinning/searching the CD/DVD drive (even if there is not one in it).

DIAGNOSIS EFFORTS: Obtained a clone Tech 2 with TIS (27.010) and GM NAO (33.004). Struggled though getting it to communicate with the vehicle at first but now think I've got those issues worked out. When attempting to "reprogram" the passenger door switch (PDS) - (both with the TECH 2 as a passthru and in "TECH2" mode where it temporarily downloads to the tech2 for subsequent uploading to the module via the tech2 alone) - you navigate the TIS menus, are able to acquire the VIN-select all the correct year/make/model info, and select the PDS for a normal reprogram. It then asks which mirror type you have and are trying to reprogram (4 options with specified three letter codes from the glovebox with text descriptions) (the basic mirror, the "camper" tow mirror manual and power, and the power folding mirror). No matter which one you select from that menu it gives the NAODRUI CONTROL error that the programming information is not available for that module.

I switched out the actual PDS with a new module and you get the same exact response.
You can successfully use the TECH2 to initiate control functions and operate all of the elements in the door and mirror (locks, mirror controls, backlights) - so the actual lights and motor controller are functional given the proper input signal. So it seems that either the BCM is hosed and cannot relay the control signals from the initiation through itself and to the PDS either because it is broken - or just requires a software flash in itself OR requires that the PDS be identified to the BCM so that the BCM will issue commands to the PDS. ?

No matter the answer to the paragraph above - the tech2/TIS/NAO33.004 seem to indicate that 33.004 does not contain the software profile necessary to reprogram the actual PDS module (nor drivers door switch (DDS) based on it having the same error for the same mirror type selection).

Based on your suggestions - I think I could review the thread on the bench reprogramming of the BCM so I can eliminate it at as a problem - but if there is no software support for the power mirror profile I will still have to take it to the dealer so they can (I presume) program it in with whatever the newer GM programming stuff is (MDI, TIS2WEB, GM online programming subscription, etc.)?

I will be installing a new air conditioning control module (cause all the old buttons are worn off) ... which may also require reprogramming... so I'm starting to think I should do that and hand this whole problem over to the dealership since all the reprogramming will come out of the same service charge.
[Edit - This bubba on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-NAO-33-0...-Tech-2-Scanner-32MB-1991-2013-/291762090571?) says HIS NAO gm33.004 card/software CAN reprogram all modules whereas the Chinese version cannot... I messaged him to clarify - not sure I'm a believer yet]

Opinions?

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd be tempted to say that something is messing with the data bus if you're having issues with the PDS and the radio. There is a master connector for the bus that will allow you to isolate each module. IIRC, it's a large black connector that's taped up and has a "comb" connector inside. You pull that comb and would disconnect all the modules from each other. You'd have to look at the schematics to see which wire is what as well as the OBD port. Looking at GM-SI, all the wires for the low speed data bus are dark green and the connector should be under the left IP. Maybe then you could try to jumper only one module at a time. I think the low speed bus connects to the rest of the vehicle's high speed bus via the BCM.

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
I've found some data and procedures and I think you spurred me in a good direction... I'm going to evaluate the health and connectivity of the various modules and see where that goes. Thanks!!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'm curious too as to what you find. Good luck!

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
I'm curious too as to what you find. Good luck!

I have been working endlessly for the last couple days... I just wanted to establish comms with the BCM (from my tech2) I had it in the past and it went away... but the truck starts and runs so its not dead.

I finally just started unplugging everything... figuring there was interference on the low or high speed bus that was screwing with the BCM (I was trying to check bus health based on this that I found online - my high side was 30kohm and my low speed voltage was low.... http://www.automotivetroubleshootingsecrets.com/2008_GM_truck_network_protocol.html )

I unplugged every module I could get to and I FINALLY got comms with the bcm so I started a process of reconnecting every module one by one checking the bcm each time... flawless!
THEN, after I had reconnected everything and had comms with the bcm I finally shut my driver's side door - reopened it and boom - lost comms with the bcm.

So I started shaking the wiring in the door accordion and I could hear the drivers door switch module clicking.... I pulled off the accordion and found a large ground wire severed... so i fixed it with a butt splice.

BCM comms never came back... I started isolating modules in reverse order that I brought them back online... in addition to unhooking the batteries and killing the power to the truck for several minutes....

Now I've got no modules connected... re-creating the exact condition before I got comms with the bcm back last time. but currently no comms. There is no difference when I swap out the bcm with a new one --- I don't think there is anything wrong with the bcm, nor the Tech2. No blown fuses... I checked every one on the truck. My resistance on the high speed is now 14.47 kohms (the guide for the 2008 said it should be 60 ohms)

Does the BCM lock up comms when lots of electrical stuff is going on as some kind of time lockout theft deterrent?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I wouldn't think so because it has to communicate with the security module and such. But one module can screw up the bus if it's dead, dying or shorting out. Or there is something shorting in the bus wire itself.

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
I wouldn't think so because it has to communicate with the security module and such. But one module can screw up the bus if it's dead, dying or shorting out. Or there is something shorting in the bus wire itself.

Yeah after you steered (store?) me in that direction of busses (busi) and interfering modules I found some good data diagrams and procedures (ignored them all) and commenced tear and stare of modules and comms on the Tech 2.

Im going to do the fault procedures I have to the letter this time (from alldata).

Just want you to know how much I appreciate your advice and responses... I know my posts haven't necessarily alluded to me doing what you have suggested... but I am.

I think that this problem is intermittent in nature, and is probably either a loose/damaged wire (I already found and fixed one bad wire) or a finicky module.... both very very hard to diagnose properly due to failure inconsistency.

If I get the BCM up again I'm going to immediately try to program the new one I have standing by with the Tech 2 in non-passthru mode

Reactions: Mooseman

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
Yeah after you steered (store?) me in that direction of busses (busi) and interfering modules I found some good data diagrams and procedures (ignored them all) and commenced tear and stare of modules and comms on the Tech 2.

Im going to do the fault procedures I have to the letter this time (from alldata).

Just want you to know how much I appreciate your advice and responses... I know my posts haven't necessarily alluded to me doing what you have suggested... but I am.

I think that this problem is intermittent in nature, and is probably either a loose/damaged wire (I already found and fixed one bad wire) or a finicky module.... both very very hard to diagnose properly due to failure inconsistency.

If I get the BCM up again I'm going to immediately try to program the new one I have standing by with the Tech 2 in non-passthru mode
So I finally got all my problems back to the orginial problem... all my modules are online and talking to my Tech 2 .... truck seems to run fine... here are my outstanding issues I am not working to resolve:

1. Memory seat module (low speed bus) has intermittent "no comms" with Tech2

2. Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) (high speed bus) is consistently throwing and re-throwing U01XX codes for "lost of comms" with the Body control Module (BCM), transmission control Module (TCM), and Engine control module (ECU or PCU) (all of these are on the high side bus)

3. (Original issue) Though the passenger side power door lock, heat seating element, switch back-lighting, power mirror controls can be actuated via the Tech 2... they do not work with the switches in the vehicle. Additionally, the passenger side mirror turn signal doesn't respond. For this I was attempting to get new door switches (Driver's (or Passengers) Door Module/switch (DDS and PDS) and reprogram... leading to problem 4.

4. TIS2000 software allows you to go through all the screens needed until...
- For the DDS and PDS the screen where you pick the RPO code for your mirrors... no matter which selection you make it says the programming information for that module is not available (as if it doesn't have any configuration software for that module)
- I tried to reprogram the BCM to ensure it could route signals appropriately and TIS2000 will go to the screen where you would hit the "reprog" button to commence moving information either to the Tech2 or through to the module in passthrough and it grays everything out (you can't hit any buttons at all -they are all gray), shows no progress on the progress bar, and stays in that mode indefinitely.

Resolution:
= I want to get a dongle and or a newer version of TIS2000 (something from 2008) and try it with the gm nao 32.008 pcmcia (vice 33.004) card I just made [this should eliminate TIS and software configuration profile issues which should determine whether or not TIS2000 even has the ability to reprogram a switch from a 2007.5 nbs Sierra - which based on menu selections, I think it should be able to]

= I'm going to check the passenger side door accordion for broken wires - as I found a broken wire in the driver's side door accordion. [This might help fix the issues with the PDS an components it operates - but maybe not as they currently can be operated with the Tech2]

= If I can get the programming to work - I'll check wires and the replace the Memory seat module

= I will do the same for the EBCM - but since it has outgoing comms with the bus and just can't hear the incoming BCM, TCM, and ECU (but those modules can hear the EBCM) - I'll look at comms wires coming FROM the EBCM

=Any other thoughts/ideas?

Anticipating a nice write up when I get this all figured out to help the next guy troubleshoot GMLAN module issues, Tech 2 stuff, and anything else I learned in this process.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I don't know if you can get a newer version of Tis2000. It was discontinued around that time and that could be the reason there is possibly no programming data available for your NBS in it.

Does Tis2000 load the programming info into the Tech 2 if you try to use it to update instead of passthrough?

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
Pass thru and into tech 2 both fail.

TIS2000 had a few updates (see "about" or "info" menu in TIS2000 for the GMDAT date). I have 11 or 12 of 2007, but there are sightings of 03/82008. I've heard rumors of 08 and 10 2008 but I dont think they are real. Also, I heard a rumor that 03/2008 does have SPS... can someone with 03/2008 confirm or deny this? (and then post a link to download your newer(est) version!?)

The TIS2000 SPS menus I get offer 2007 sierra AND specify between the new and old (classic) body styles. Additionally, for Chevy they allow for 2008 selections. These menu choice would indicate at least some of the modules are programmable. I want to play around with at least the 03/2008 GMDAT TIS2000, not using an augmented (cracked) ControlUI .... I also want to try using the 2008 Chevy menu in case there is that type of commonality. I also am changing the tech2 card software in case that plays a role..... if none of these things work - then there is a more fundamental problem (like my particular tech 2 cant do this).

Perhaps - at least - I'll find SOME modules that can be flashed.... Clearly - the menus indicate that something can be flashed.. and until I can at least get the setup to flash any module, I don't want to presume it can't flash any module. That is, until it works I can't conclude it doesn't.

Perhaps I could determine the latest configuration numbers for the particular modules I have from this website and then determine somehow if the TIS software has those or new version in its files that it uses for upgrading modules?
https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You should be able to look up the latest cal ID for a module on that site and see what's available in Tis2000.

Are you able to load it into the Tech 2? Does it fail there or when you try to load it into the module from the Tech 2?

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
fails to go into and passthru the tech2... I can do the sps FROM the vehicle via the tech 2... but when you go to make the computer put information to and through the tech2 you get the gray screen of impotence I spoke of.... or you get an error that says that programming information is not available. I could redo it and re-create the errors and take better notes if you think that will help... along with that Im trying to find a TIS2000 gm nao version with GMDAT 03/2008 to rule that out. I also want to get/make a dongle so I can rule out the potential Control DRUI issue

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
You should be able to look up the latest cal ID for a module on that site and see what's available in Tis2000.

Are you able to load it into the Tech 2? Does it fail there or when you try to load it into the module from the Tech 2?
Well wrap your noodle around this one.....
That site says that for the Driver's and Passenger Door Switches/modules:
(sps.exception.no-valid-cop)
It seems to indicate THERE IS NO CALIBRATION SOFTWARE for them ?

When you swap out the DDS for a new one --- it doesn't have full functions... some of the buttons dont work... all the while I thought this was due to not be programmed.... but now that website indicates there is no programming!?

One step forward.... two steps back! :Banghead: :blinkhuh: :compu-punch: :whore:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
WTF? There is software available for DDM's and PDM's because I had to update the PDM on my '06. Maybe they got away from that?

Then is it possible that you got the wrong DDM and PDM? Maybe they just come with the software built in now.

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
WTF? There is software available for DDM's and PDM's because I had to update the PDM on my '06. Maybe they got away from that?

Then is it possible that you got the wrong DDM and PDM? Maybe they just come with the software built in now.
Then boom goes the dynamite......... however flakey it was, I WAS able to reprogram my BCM. During this time, I also learned a bunch of more capabilities of the Tech2 and found out -for certain- that my PDS is not programmed (it does not know the VIN of the vehicle its in). I also verified that the version of TIS2000 I have doesn't have any programming information for either the PDS or DDS.
The TIS website where you put your VIN in says it has no calibration files for the PDS or DDS.... so presumably I couldn't even pay for TIS web access and do it that way. I'm very very confused by this.

In my search I found this post that talks about a near identical issue on the very same DDS that I have.... though it leaves me unable to understand the solution.
http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/821kd-gm-suburban-2008-suburban-drivers-window-left-down.html

In its spirit I researched other possible part numbers for my PDS and they are (I think) (current part no.-20835554)

others: D1443G, 25783952,

20877339, 20883864 but even these alternates suggest that you'll need to program it.
(Of note, the -339 part was superseded in 2010 by -554)

:ripshairout:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One comment in there that has Mr concerned is that he was having issues with the Bosch Tech 2, which is the older version. Now I'm wondering if it's an issue with these Chinese clones.

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
One comment in there that has Mr concerned is that he was having issues with the Bosch Tech 2, which is the older version. Now I'm wondering if it's an issue with these Chinese clones.

As I research into this... this seems to be a known problem (that there are modules for which TIS2000 has no calibration profiles). I have yet to learn the resolution... my hope is that what you have to do is just get a particular part number of the few that can fit which comes with factory programming such that it is essentially plug and play. Otherwise... I have no idea how to resolve this.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's what it sounded like on those other forum posts. I guess if an issue is identified, then calibration software is made available. Not sure what their thinking is because then they have to stock more part numbers to cover different options. More $$$?

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
OK called GM... learned some stuff, did some thinking... I conjured up a plausible solution... I ordered a part... when it gets here it will prove me right or wrong... I'll share my results either way...

Reactions: xavierny25
Dec 5, 2016
St.Louis
What's ur vin number I have a subscription to sps and can look up and see if programming is available.

Dec 5, 2016
St.Louis
Supported via SPS

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 12

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
That menu matches the TIS2000 menu exactly - I suspect use of the TIS on the web would be successful no matter what part number you used as all calibration files should be available. In TIS2000 however, selection of the PDS or DDS will go to the next screen, ask for you to specify in a drop down menu your mirror type by RPO code, and then tell you (no matter which one you pick) that the calibration information is not available.

Can't wait to get my part and find out if I've cracked this nut (with TIS2000) !!

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
Supported via SPS

Well it's official --- that S#%! didn't work... same exact problem. It almost seems as if TIS2000 (the version I have) was stripped of its calibration files for the PDS and DDS. Granted, the Julian date of the manufacture of the part I got was 244 - 2007 so it is still possible that it's cal file didn't make it into TIS2000... but I'm not going to push that front anymore.

Looks like its either to the dealership we go or I pay for a few days of SPS on the web (and figure out what else I may need to program it)...

HOLY CRAP!!!

So as I wrote that last sentence... I realized, I never bothered to try to operate anything in the truck when I swapped out with the new (old) switch that I just got in the mail... SO I jumped up and ran out there and SON OF A BITCH!!! EVERYTHING WORKS!! NO PROGRAMMING necessary! It was just a matter of getting a part number that was (near) original to the truck! The newer ones require programming (meaning they have to be told the truck VIN) but older ones do not! SHAZZAM!!

One juicy note on the side.... I noticed that went I used the tech 2 to look at the module information the newer switch had a field to specify whether or not it knew the VIN (I think meaning it required and could take programming) whereas the older switch had no field to tell if it knew the VIN (implying it was plug and play).

BOTTOM LINE - if you ever run into a module programming issue with TIS2000, be sure you have the part number original to or manufactured at the same time as the vehicle. Most modules require programming but some do not... and for the 2007.5 nbs GM's - this may include the driver and passenger door switches ( I say "may" because at some point that changed and it could have been in 2007.5, or 2008, or 2009?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Good to know. Thanks for the info. Maybe you could download another version of Tis2000? Mine had programming for all modules (2006 anyway).

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
Yeah I've asked around several times... trouble finding someone that wants to share....
THOUGH it is possible that my version IS the latest version with the most calibration files available... because why wouldn't the chinese have included that?
AND
also, I heard a rumor that NAO TIS2000 from March 2008 (GMDAT 03/2008) doesn't have SPS?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd have to check which version I have (I'm not at home at the moment). I could try ripping my CD and find a file hosting site that isn't a PITA to use.

FixitTilBroken

Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
USA
I'd have to check which version I have (I'm not at home at the moment). I could try ripping my CD and find a file hosting site that isn't a PITA to use.
Tell me about it!
Please do check... I have been trying to find the newest most complete version available in hopes that I could assemble a huge "how to" complete with software for all the things I learned along the way with the tech 2.

Despite issues and the learning curve with TIS (which all considered were relatively minor) this TECH 2 clone was worth every penny... it gave me information and troubleshooting ability that no other tool could do. I limited it, it did not limit me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online