Tech 2 clone missing options

CBII

Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
KCMO
Hey all. First post here. I dug through the old posts and a quick run-through on the manuals and I did not see my issue so I'm sorry in advance if this has been covered.
I'm trying to update the vin for my BCM. It was rpelaced by dealership and after they'd done that I have a constant airbag and TC disabled lights. I used another scanner and managed to pull a B1001 code, pointing to that mismatch.
When I go into the settings (I've gone through each letter and looked) for my year/make/model>Body>special functions, I do not have all of the options listed below in the screenshot, to include reprogramming BCM. Did I set something up incorrectly? I'm running on winXP on virtual box and it communicates with the scanner in each setting except for the programming one. When I run it, it freezes and then the VM decided to not respond. I don't know if these issues are related or not.
TL;DR I can't update my BCM in my 03 yukon denali because the option is not found. Any ideas?

1702588232186.png

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Welcome to GMT Nation...

THIS Unique PDF may prove helpful as "The Tech 2 Alphabetical Bible of Procedural Step By Steps" instructions that may hold some alternate methods to follow and sort through these issues:

Attachments

• TECH2 Paths.pdf
    490.2 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Mooseman

CBII

Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
KCMO
Welcome to GMT Nation...

THIS Unique PDF may prove helpful as "The Tech 2 Alphabetical Bible of Procedural Step By Steps" instructions that may hold some alternate methods to follow and sort through these issues:
Welcome to GMT Nation...

I understand the patching. I've looked at a few different layouts now but I simply don't have those options.

Attachments

• IMG20231214180801.jpg
    IMG20231214180801.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20231214180801.jpg
    IMG20231214180801.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG20231214180805.jpg
    IMG20231214180805.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG20231214181014.jpg
    IMG20231214181014.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20231214181027.jpg
    IMG20231214181027.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG20231214181202.jpg
    IMG20231214181202.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: mrrsm

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There are two ways to program a module. One way is by using the Tech 2 as a remote programmer where you have the Tech 2 connected to the vehicle and go into the SPS part, which IIRC is at a previous level than where you show, and specify which module you wish to program. It downloads the module info, then you disconnect and go to the laptop, connect to it and use Tis2000 to fetch the module info and program it, then you go back to the vehicle, connect and let it program the module. A very long and tedious process.

Instead, use the Tech 2 as a passthrough. Connect it to the vehicle and the laptop and just turn it on and leave it at the first main screen. Start Tis2000. Follow the menu items on the computer to use the Tech 2 as a passthrough. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a suitable video.

CBII

Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
KCMO
There are two ways to program a module. One way is by using the Tech 2 as a remote programmer where you have the Tech 2 connected to the vehicle and go into the SPS part, which IIRC is at a previous level than where you show, and specify which module you wish to program. It downloads the module info, then you disconnect and go to the laptop, connect to it and use Tis2000 to fetch the module info and program it, then you go back to the vehicle, connect and let it program the module. A very long and tedious process.

Instead, use the Tech 2 as a passthrough. Connect it to the vehicle and the laptop and just turn it on and leave it at the first main screen. Start Tis2000. Follow the menu items on the computer to use the Tech 2 as a passthrough. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a suitable video.
All good. That gives me good direction. I'll poke at it tomorrow, thanks!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@Mooseman ...Is THIS the Other Video you suggested:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@CBII What version *.BIN File shows up on your Boot up Screen? is it the last one (33.004) ? Sometimes... earlier versions of these BINs will support features that have been removed by the time the Last BIN was updated by GM. It IS possible to add-in those other BINs.. .and we have Threads here at GMT Nation in the Tech2 Section that explain the process... including where to Download them from "The Cloud".

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
*Bump* Post #7...with an Updated Suggestion...

CBII

Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
KCMO

Will using the Tech2 as a passthrough create the missing options that I don't currently see on the scanner?
@CBII What version *.BIN File shows up on your Boot up Screen? is it the last one (33.004) ? Sometimes... earlier versions of these BINs will support features that have been removed by the time the Last BIN was updated by GM. It IS possible to add-in those other BINs.. .and we have Threads here at GMT Nation in the Tech2 Section that explain the process... including where to Download them from "The Cloud".
I assume you're referring to the older versions of TIS, 30.0004 to be specific. I grabbed it but I want to make sure I'm not accidentally doing something wrong before I attempt to downgrade.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
IIANM... There is a Dedicated Thread that explains how to "Add In The BIN" File and not create a problem... might be nested within one of the earlier VXDIAG-NANO Threads...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Will using the Tech2 as a passthrough create the missing options that I don't currently see on the scanner?
No. You must leave it on the initial screen for the pass through to work. You only use the Tis2000 on the laptop. Everything happens on the laptop.

CBII

Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
KCMO
No. You must leave it on the initial screen for the pass through to work. You only use the Tis2000 on the laptop. Everything happens on the laptop.
Let me rephrase my question. Will I have the options in TIS2000 that are missing on the handheld scanner when I am in passthrough mode?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@Mooseman ...Is THIS the Other Video you suggested:

It is using it as a pass through but that with the old online SPS. The new one doesn't work with the Tech 2

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Let me rephrase my question. Will I have the options in TIS2000 that are missing on the handheld scanner when I am in passthrough mode?
Yes. It has the options to read the VIN and then program modules. It's all there.

CBII

Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
KCMO
Yes. It has the options to read the VIN and then program modules. It's all there.
Ok. That's next on my list to try. I borrowed teh serial cable from work, got another one via Amazon last night and nwo trying to figure out wtf it isn't working

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Review the Related Tech 2 Links as "suggested reading" at the bottom of this Page for other "GYMKO" Tech 2 Repair Threads that could prove helpful if there is any issues either with your VCI Module, its electrical contacts or any other internal problems with the soldered on Non-Solid State SMCs. You never know... it could be that the *smallest thing* can become the source of this problem.

CBII

Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
KCMO
I'm thinking I need to start over fresh and reattempt the install. I never set up a cracked security key so that my well be what I am missing, especially since SPS freezes the whole program and I have to force it closed.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
One last suggestion... If you have an Older Laptop with a Physical 9 Pin Serial Port and any of the earlier 32 Bit flavors of Windows... (remembering that the TIS2000 Software was originally developed using 16 Bit Drivers back in the Mid-1990s) Start by field stripping the Computer down to the Bare Bones needed to create a Dedicated Box to be your exclusive TIS2000 Server. If not... there is a One Of A Kind USB to Serial Port Adapter made by TRIPP-LITE that will prevent any RS-232 Com Port *Hiccups* as well and try using IT as your Flat Ribbon interface go-between with the Tech 2 Scan Tool and the Laptop:

TRIPPLITEUSB2SERIALPORT.jpg

CBII

Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
KCMO
One last suggestion... If you have an Older Laptop with a Physical 9 Pin Serial Port and any of the earlier 32 Bit flavors of Windows... (remembering that the TIS2000 Software was originally developed using 16 Bit Drivers back in the Mid-1990s) Start by field stripping the Computer down to the Bare Bones needed to create a Dedicated Box to be your exclusive TIS2000 Server. If not... there is a One Of A Kind USB to Serial Port Adapter made by TRIPP-LITE that will prevent any RS-232 Com Port *Hiccups* as well and try using IT as your Flat Ribbon interface go-between with the Tech 2 Scan Tool and the Laptop:

View attachment 110735
I'm actually using an older version of that for this.
I'm to the point where I'm certain I need the usb dongle crack, as it is needed for SPS passthrough. I followed the instructions posted to either you or Mooseman in one of the threads, but I was mising one of teh 2 files to copy over in my TIS install that was in the cracked download. Nothing has changed for me though. SPS still freezes the programs and I can't do anything with it if I run it with my network passed through to VM. Sometimes there's an error when I relaunch TIS saying "Error 308: Failed to initiate" and I have to reboot the VM. With networking disabled, I get an error but I can close it. 1702672420375.pngIf I retry to run SPS, it freezes. I also get the same freezing when I try to go into the Configuration>Hardware Key registration.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I wish I could put my finger on the exact Thread...but I think that when I was proving out that with an Older Laptop and a Valid Copy of Windows 2000... installing the THREE DISC version of the TIS2000 Software available from one of the Chinese Vendors over on AliExpress.com... was just exactly what did the Trick after I had the VERY SAME PROBLEM.

During a different installation on another Box with Windows XP... I used an OEM Dongle that came with my Early Model "GYMKO" Tech 2 by Bosch Vetronix ...and it ALSO worked PERFECTLY.

Browse around over on THIS Link Below for the TIS2000 Installation CDs ...and while you're at it... Download any of the available Instructional PDFs that you can get your hands on for the Extra Tips & Tricks and *Secret Sauce* to help get around any of these Issues:

THIS IS NOT A SECURE HYPER-TEXT LINK... so make certain to Virus Check EVERYTHING you Download from such places after accepting the Non-HTTPS Links:

Read EVERYTHING Here!!!

One last link to be aware of... Do some more research on How to Set Up Dedicated Com Ports using VMWare situations, too. The *Secret Sauce* may have hidden answers for the communication issues there as well. Look at the Desktop SPS Tabs along the TOP Border of the Main Screen and examine the Com Ports (For Other Options) there as well. Sometimes... Re-Setting the BAUD Rate to 115,200 or so... can make all the difference!

Last edited:

CBII

Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
KCMO
I wish I could put my finger on the exact Thread...but I think that when I was proving out that with an Older Laptop and a Valid Copy of Windows 2000... installing the THREE DISC version of the TIS2000 Software available from one of the Chinese Vendors over on AliExpress.com... was just exactly what did the Trick after I had the VERY SAME PROBLEM.

During a different installation on another Box with Windows XP... I used an OEM Dongle that came with my Early Model "GYMKO" Tech 2 by Bosch Vetronix ...and worked it also worked PERFECTLY as well. Browse around over here for the TIS2000 Installation CDs ...and while you're at it... Download any of the available Instructional PDFs that you can get your hands on for the Extra Tips & Tricks and *Secret Sauce* to help get around any of these Issues:

THIS IS NOT A SECURE HYPER-TEXT LINK... so make certain to Virus Check EVERYTHING you Download from such places after accepting the Non-HTTPS Links:

Read EVERYTHING Here!!!

Awesome, thanks! As I've just built a fresh VM with the intent to start over on the install, I'll do exactly that.

All this to fix an airbag light. ha.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I decided to create a PDF of everything from that Non-Secure Web Site... so you can Read Everything Off-Line and Highlight-Cut-And-Paste the Relative TIS2000 Software Download Links covered in that Article later on ...without any risks of being unprotected:

Attachments

• GM Tech2 TIS2000 Manual Software Download, Install, SPS Programming OBDII365.com Official Blog.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: christo829 and CBII

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There is an excellent writeup on how to do a VM install.

And check this thread for Tis2000 install discs and the dongle crack:

CBII

Original poster
Dec 14, 2023
KCMO
hey gang. I started with a fresh install of windows Vista and redid the install of the key/software and got it communicating. The handheld still did not show all of the options I expected to see, but I was able to resolve the airbag issue with a VTD learn. Thanks for helping get it all set up and functioning. I'll dig through the documentation some more now that I know the setup mostly works. I'm assuming that my missing options were removed from the newest version, per what mrrsm was saying.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod