TB rear diff drain/fill without drain plug. WITH PICS

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
My 2008 TB rear Diff drain/fill w/o Drain Plug @ 52,614 miles

This is only what I did, may or may not be the correct, easiest, or best way, just the way I completed my first time rear diff fluid change.

woody79 asked for PICS, Here it goes my friend:

Placed chocks in the front, jacked up the rear passenger side, and placed jack stand underneath.

Lowered and removed spare tire.

Using a 3/8 ratchet, 3/8 extension, and breaker bar removed fill plug. (no major effort to remove plug).

Using 3/8 ratchet, 13mm socket, and extensions I removed all the rear axle housing cover bolts. Keeping in mind the
roadie's
caution on the factory threadlock I took care to work bolts both ways a few turns before complete removal.
(No major effort the remove the bolts).

You will see in the PIC I started removing bolts at the top working around, doing the last few on the bottom, last. Here she
began to drain. Removed axel housing cover and gasket, and let drain for about 1/2 hour . The 1/2 hour was the time it
took me to take a leak, eat a zebra cake, drink a ice cold Pepsi, clean up the cover, gasket, housing , bolts, and, prep
bolts with anti-seize and blue threadlock.

Aligned gasket and laid gasket on cover, threaded a top and bottom bolt, and then the rest. Alternating the bolt
tightening I worked my way around a few times until I felt I was ready for torque's. Not knowing if I had the 8.0 or 8.6
axle I torque to the 8.6 of 20ft lbs. The 8.0 is 18 ft lbs. (I now understand I could have measured when I had the housing
cover off?)

I started filling, got most in with still jacked up. Used a syringe, this cheap little apparatus has been used in my drain/fill of
front diff, case, and flush/fill PS fluid. This Wal-Mart $3.77 investment has performed perfectly, not the fastest, but gets
the job done.

Then lowered to be on level ground for checking proper fluid fill level. Swear I couldn't touch my finger at the 1/2 inch
below fill hole, than 1/2 a syringe later it comes dripping out. And, swear it was more than the 3.6 pints, closer to two
quarts went in.

Reinstalled fill plug and torque to 24 ft lbs.

Reinstalled spare tire, and took a spin around the block, checked for leaks and so-far-so good!
View attachment 17775
 

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 23
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 26

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
Lastly, not a lot drained out, and it was warm from the drive home. If there's 8 pints to a gallon, this doesn't look like 3.6 pints.

Valvoline 75W-90 Full Synthetic @ 6.49 a quart from AutoZone went in (was to be 8.99, luck would have it they mismarked and give me the $6.49 price).

View attachment 17777
 

Attachments

  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 39

gmcman

Member
Dec 12, 2011
4,656
jbones said:
Lastly, not a lot drained out, and it was warm from the drive home. If there's 8 pints to a gallon, this doesn't look like 3.6 pints.


I would venture a guess that since you jacked up one side, some of the fluid went down the LH axle tube.
 

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
She sat level for the half hour draining period. I didn't write it in (updated orginal post) but I even jacked up center front a few inches for a few mintes looking for extra drainage. When up and down a few times not mentioned, tried to keep the write up short.
 

ieatglue

Member
Nov 20, 2011
152
Nice write-up. I broke my 3/8" ratchet trying to loosen the fill plug today. Luckily my Mastercraft tools carry a lifetime warranty. I'll probably be picking up a breaker bar tomorrow too. I bought the Mobil 1 75W90 :biggrin:
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
ieatglue said:
Nice write-up. I broke my 3/8" ratchet trying to loosen the fill plug today. Luckily my Mastercraft tools carry a lifetime warranty. I'll probably be picking up a breaker bar tomorrow too. I bought the Mobil 1 75W90 :biggrin:

I broke one too, but try an impact. The vibrations work etter than brute force.
 

gmac310

Member
Dec 4, 2011
174
Just to add, they sell sockets specifically to fit recessed square drive plugs. They have a sharper corner on the bottom so they tend to not cam out of the plus like a 3/8" ratchet or extension would. :thumbsup:
View attachment 17778
 

Attachments

  • a347814096b8ac247aac6b7b53830d2c.jpg
    a347814096b8ac247aac6b7b53830d2c.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 369

woody79

Member
Dec 3, 2011
351
Nice write up man. Thanks for the pictures, I'm sure they'll come in useful when I get around to changing my rear diff fluid. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
 

gmcman

Member
Dec 12, 2011
4,656
jbones said:
She sat level for the half hour draining period. I didn't write it in (updated orginal post) but I even jacked up center front a few inches for a few mintes looking for extra drainage. When up and down a few times not mentioned, tried to keep the write up short.

Gotcha

Nice write up:thumbsup:
 

woody79

Member
Dec 3, 2011
351
This sort of write up is one of the reasons I love Gmtnation. Its great when members share tips and knowledge. :wootwoot:
 

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
gmac310 said:
Just to add, they sell sockets specifically to fit recessed square drive plugs. They have a sharper corner on the bottom so they tend to not cam out of the plus like a 3/8" ratchet or extension would. :thumbsup:
View attachment 2574

I looked at several auto stores, and Harbor freight, could find no individual sockets. What's the brand on the set, maybe that's what I'll get. Was bad enough I couldn't find my torque wrench, and had to buy a cheap $19 one at oreilys.
 

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
ieatglue said:
Nice write-up. I broke my 3/8" ratchet trying to loosen the fill plug today. Luckily my Mastercraft tools carry a lifetime warranty. I'll probably be picking up a breaker bar tomorrow too. I bought the Mobil 1 75W90 :biggrin:

Wow yours must have been tight, I didn't buy a breaker bar, I dug around the garage and found a suitable Alum pipe. At a friend's house once he needed a heavier breaker, we drive to the transfer station (dump) they let him look through a recycled metal bin where he found a fine metal pipe. The mobil 1 went in the front a few weeks back.

I've used this once or twice over my life time.

View attachment 17780
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0077.jpg
    DSCN0077.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 19

gmac310

Member
Dec 4, 2011
174
jbones said:
I looked at several auto stores, and Harbor freight, could find no individual sockets. What's the brand on the set, maybe that's what I'll get. Was bad enough I couldn't find my torque wrench, and had to buy a cheap $19 one at oreilys.

That pic I found was from a place in GB. If you do a search for 3/8" square drive drain plug socket it will bring up some places to get one. You're right about trying to find an individual socket, they usually come in a set.
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
jbones said:
...no major effort to remove plug....
Buy a lottery ticket. You are one lucky SOB. :thumbsup:

Some folks have had to resort to welding on bolts to get enough torque on that thing, especially if they leave it until the truck is 8 years old. :frown:
 

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
the roadie said:
Buy a lottery ticket. You are one lucky SOB. :thumbsup:

Some folks have had to resort to welding on bolts to get enough torque on that thing, especially if they leave it until the truck is 8 years old. :frown:

I know I've read the many horrors, and pains others have had. Was a good day yesterday; all started when oncology gave me a clean bill of health. Holding out today as well, not being bugged with the HD list, and to top it off going hunting tomorrow. Good weekend all around. I think I will grab a lottery ticket today.:smile:
 
Dec 4, 2011
520
jbones said:
Lastly, not a lot drained out, and it was warm from the drive home. If there's 8 pints to a gallon, this doesn't look like 3.6 pints.

Valvoline 75W-90 Full Synthetic @ 6.49 a quart from AutoZone went in (was to be 8.99, luck would have it they mismarked and give me the $6.49 price).

View attachment 2572View attachment 2573

One useful item I have found for refilling these diff's and Transfer Cases is a pump use for refilling the lower section of my Outboard engine. They screw right on to the bottle and have a pump and hose. The bottle stays upright and the fluid gets transferred.

Here is one from Amsoil but they are available at a lot of places quite cheap.

AMSOIL - AMSOIL Hand Pump For Bottles

Here is one from Harbor Freight

Gear Oil Pump - Harbor Freight Tools

Thanks for the write up, good job. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
 

fadyasha

Member
Dec 21, 2011
1,134
Thanks for the write up indeed! I'll need to do this along with changing the fuel filter tomorrow probably! Before getting to that and I hope I don't sound ignorant on this but has anyone ever changed the front differential oil? I've seen alot on the rear but nothing on the front. :redface::confused:
 

jbones

Original poster
Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
RedEnvoyDenal said:
One useful item I have found for refilling these diff's and Transfer Cases is a pump use for refilling the lower section of my Outboard engine. They screw right on to the bottle and have a pump and hose. The bottle stays upright and the fluid gets transferred.

Here is one from Amsoil but they are available at a lot of places quite cheap.

AMSOIL - AMSOIL Hand Pump For Bottles

Here is one from Harbor Freight

Gear Oil Pump - Harbor Freight Tools

Thanks for the write up, good job. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I agree those screw-in cap pumps look good. Almost got that one when I did the Case, but went with the cheaper syringe. Looking back, I bet If I'd had the pump I would have never returned to the dealership to by a 3rd bottle of Auto Trak 2, replacing the one I tipped over on the garage floor. I guess others could take this as a one of those "no install WI-FI on all the..."lessons :smile:

Or be more careful than I was!
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
fadyasha said:
Thanks for the write up indeed! I'll need to do this along with changing the fuel filter tomorrow probably! Before getting to that and I hope I don't sound ignorant on this but has anyone ever changed the front differential oil? I've seen alot on the rear but nothing on the front. :redface::confused:
Check here: http://gmtnation.com/f79/drivetrain-fluids-specifications-197/

I just added a picture to post 1.

2625d1326036791t-drivetrain-fluids-specifications-1.jpg
 

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Nov 19, 2011
9,957
Portland, OR
fadyasha said:
...Which reminds me i need a new car jack. The OEM jack with the car is a killer !
Don't forget jack stands. Even the crappy OEM jack can lift the truck to put it on jack stands for safety. A $300 floor style racing jack STILL isn't safe enough to work under without jack stands.

axle60.jpg
 

fadyasha

Member
Dec 21, 2011
1,134
the roadie said:
Don't forget jack stands. Even the crappy OEM jack can lift the truck to put it on jack stands for safety. A $300 floor style racing jack STILL isn't safe enough to work under without jack stands.

axle60.jpg

Thanks for reminding me! I knew was missing something or I could do what local mechanics do here. They put a rock behind the rear wheel or the front depending on what they're doing! Lol!

Gotta love the safety!
 

filthyfingers

Lifetime VIP Donor
Member
Apr 7, 2012
103
the roadie said:
Buy a lottery ticket. You are one lucky SOB. :thumbsup:

Some folks have had to resort to welding on bolts to get enough torque on that thing, especially if they leave it until the truck is 8 years old. :frown:


Well mine was 11 years old and 110k miles. Just keeping it real, my first 4 wheel drive service was today:lipsrsealed:. I was all revved up with my AutoTrak II, diff fluid and fluid transfer pump. After 2 hours I couldn't get the rear fill plug to budge. I even resorted to pressuring my breaker bar with a bottle jack:eek:

I drove down to my local auto-fixer-upper and asked if they would crack the fasteners. Instead they offered to do the whole service on the spot for $150 using my 2 quarts of AutoTrakII. An hour later I was headed down the road to happy hour. Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes he eats you. I'm just glad to have a 4WD that seems trouble free after my years of neglect.
 

BrianF

Member
Jul 24, 2013
1,205
West central Sask.
Did the full service on mine September of 2012. 135,000km. The rear diff was easy, added Amsoil 75-90, hell the front was east too. A year later even easier when the driver side front diff seal went out. When I did the rear the fill plug was seized in real bad. The previous owner must have tried and damn near rounded it out. Went to a local mechanic who said to tighten it and then reverse it out. Worked like a charm! When I cracked the rear cover it was sealed on quite good so as I turned to get the drain pan it leaked most of the gear oil onto the driveway. My little girls still make fun of me......
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,396
Posts
638,821
Members
18,610
Latest member
Amri

Members Online

No members online now.