TB quad brakes/dual turns on the cheap (halogen and LED verified)

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
fc589fa1.jpg

I got this crimper and....it crimps!!! Instead of buying the connector kits again I'm just going to get the pins, crimp/solder new leads, and reuse the connectors. Then undo the cut wire version and slap the harnesses back in. It will be cheaper and faster to do it this way.

Yacdogg

Apr 27, 2012
Hello, I might attempt this tomorrow, just quick question, sorry, noob to electrical mods. do I go from Red (at taillight) to Yellow (at trailer harness) on Left side (Driver Side ?), then Red (at taillight) to Dark Green (at trailer harness) on Right side (Passenger ?). also, when I splice wire at taillight harness, I would go from wire closest to harness that plugs into taillight board, correct ?

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Yacdogg said:
do I go from Red (at taillight) to Yellow (at trailer harness) on Left side (Driver Side ?), then Red (at taillight) to Dark Green (at trailer harness) on Right side (Passenger ?)

Yes, red from each tail light wire will go to the second and forth pins as shown in post 36 picture 5.

And yes, left refers to drivers side and right is passenger.

Yacdogg said:
also, when I splice wire at taillight harness, I would go from wire closest to harness that plugs into taillight board, correct ?

Yes, you want your splices to go the tail light side of your cut, as shown in post 36 picture 6.

Yacdogg said:
Hello, I might attempt this tomorrow, just quick question, sorry, noob to electrical mods.

Coolness! I'll be on from time to time tomorrow so if you run into a jam feel free to post.:cool:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Yacdogg said:
do I go from Red (at taillight)

No, the red is the wire that he added. At the tail light harness you cut the 2 blue wires and use the power from the trailer harness to power your bulbs. Here's the wires you need (tape or cap off the unused side of these wires)

6bacfefc.jpg

Here is his wire from the trailer harness to the 2 blue wires (I used these)

a78de32c.jpg

Yacdogg said:
to Yellow (at trailer harness) on Left side (Driver Side ?), then 2 blue wires (at taillight) to Dark Green (at trailer harness) on Right side (Passenger ?).

You are correct for the trailer harness, I used red scotch locks here (Like these)

Yacdogg said:
also, when I splice wire at taillight harness, I would go from wire from harness, not coming from front. correct ?

I think your saying the socket side of the wires you cut, if so yes.

Yacdogg

Apr 27, 2012
? ? ok, now im alittle confused... so I need to splice 2 blue wires in each (right and left taillight) then on Left attach to Yellow wire on trailer harness, then on Right attach to dark green on trailer harness. does each blue wire have to go to a seperate wire, or do I put them together to one wire, then that to the yellow (and dark green) ?

MAY03LT

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Yacdogg said:
? ? ok, now im alittle confused... so I need to splice 2 blue wires in each (right and left taillight) then on Left attach to Yellow wire on trailer harness, then on Right attach to dark green on trailer harness. does each blue wire have to go to a seperate wire, or do I put them together to one wire, then that to the yellow (and dark green) ?

I think you got it. On each side, wire them together at the tail light connector and run the single lead to the trailer connector.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
MAY03LT said:
I think you got it. On each side, wire them together at the tail light connector and run the single lead to the trailer connector.

:iagree: Both blue wires and your wire coming from the trailer harness can go in one crimp connector (make sure you tape it up) or solder and heat shrink them.

Yacdogg

Apr 27, 2012
Hello, got a problem. I hooked them up, the right side work right [video=youtube;NFHk5jcM2vI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFHk5jcM2vI&feature=youtu.be[/video] But the right side doesn't blink together [video=youtube;CyG-o-BeZfE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyG-o-BeZfE&feature=youtu.be[/video] and when I put on the brakes all four come on how they are suppose to View attachment 21319 PLEASSSSE HELP ! !

Attachments

• Brakes On.jpg
    Brakes On.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Brakes Off.jpg
    Brakes Off.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 21

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Check the brown wire, that should be the running lights. It could also be a burned out bulb, the bright and dim use different filaments. move the bulb and see if the problem follows the bulb. If it's the bulb you can just put it in the old turn spot. That socket doesn't use the dim filament

Yacdogg

Apr 27, 2012
Short Bus said:
Check the brown wire, that should be the running lights. It could also be a burned out bulb, the bright and dim use different filaments. move the bulb and see if the problem follows the bulb.
what brown wire ? I just put new bulbs in all of rear lights. (sylvania silver stars)

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
The brown wire is on the far right on the plug in this pic
a78de32c.jpg

Yacdogg said:
would the brown wire make the turns not blink at the same time ? also, the left side is the one that doesn't flash together, but the right is the one that doesn't illuminate

The left side looks OK to me, the tail light is lit making it look a little different.

Yacdogg

Apr 27, 2012
but now they both flash differently (as left did, POSTED ABOVE) and not at the same time (as right did POSTED ABOVE) [video=youtube;kTAj336y1C0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTAj336y1C0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Yacdogg said:
but now they both flash differently (as left did, POSTED ABOVE) and not at the same time (as right did POSTED ABOVE) [video=youtube;kTAj336y1C0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTAj336y1C0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Turn the headlight off and see what they do. I think it just looks that way because of the running lights. You could get a set of modded boards from May, or make your own (it's a PITA) to get quad tails

BTW what was the problem?

Yacdogg

Apr 27, 2012
I tried with running lights off, yep it just way it looked with them on, thanks for the help. also what do the modded boards do ? any pics someone could post ?

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Yacdogg said:
I tried with running lights off, yep it just way it looked with them on, thanks for the help. also what do the modded boards do ? any pics someone could post ?

With the modded boards you get quad tails also. As a bonus you can also make the boards run standard led bulbs instead of the more expensive SRCK bulbs.

http://gmtnation.com/f33/modding-trailblazer-throttle-body-tail-light-boards-non-srck-leds-2046/

Here's your tails

View attachment 7438

Here's my truck with quad tails

0423122145.jpg

I also have these LED's in the tails

[EBAY]320866380327[/EBAY]

and these for the license plate

[EBAY]150827419288[/EBAY]

BaDAppLe

Jun 28, 2012
I have the led spyder smoked tail lights , and was wondering if this would work for me? Do I need to just wire up as per the diagram? Thanks

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
BaDAppLe said:
I have the led spyder smoked tail lights , and was wondering if this would work for me? Do I need to just wire up as per the diagram? Thanks

I don't see why it wouldn't.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
MAY03LT said:
Well guys I have an update on the harnesses and it's not a good one. They've been in the TB for two weeks now.

Last night I noticed the park lights on the drivers side looked a little dimmer then the pass side. With a tap on the lens (that is the first step, right???) they went bright again.

I depinned and inspected all 16 crimps and these 2 had spread.

I know these things were LEGIT when I built the harnesses so I'm really thinking that the bass is the root cause. My system can move things in other vehicles and with these connectors a foot or so away from the port it is a strong possibility. But I can't rule out an assembly error.

It may be overkill, but that's why I solder all of my crimped pin connectors. I know you got a new crimp tool and fixed it, but I did it even when I had the top dollar crimp tools when I worked for a major appliance manufacturer in SW MI building custom harnesses in the electronic development lab.

Edit: Just saw Blckshdw said that back when the thread was current. Missed that part in the read.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
MAY03LT said:

Do you just tape off the blue wires or do you join them together and tape them off?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Tape off individually. Don't join them together or you'll backfeed circuits and cause all sorts of whacky issues.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Sparky said:
Tape off individually. Don't join them together or you'll backfeed circuits and cause all sorts of whacky issues.

Thank you mate. I'm sure I saw a photo somewhere here but couldn't find it.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
All done...but I have a question. With my lights on both my indicator lights on the dash are very dimly lit. They flash normally and are dark when the light are off but as I said, are dimly lit when the lights are on. Anyone else have this or know why?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Matt said:
All done...but I have a question. With my lights on both my indicator lights on the dash are very dimly lit. They flash normally and are dark when the light are off but as I said, are dimly lit when the lights are on. Anyone else have this or know why?

:undecided: Sounds like your parking lights are backfeeding into your turn signals somewhere.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:undecided: Sounds like your parking lights are backfeeding into your turn signals somewhere.

Don't know why. I followed the instructions implicitly. I wonder if may's board are doing it?

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I don't have that problem :confused: Do you have 1 wire (per side) feeding both bulbs like this pic?

a78de32c.jpg

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Short Bus said:
I don't have that problem :confused: Do you have 1 wire (per side) feeding both bulbs like this pic?

a78de32c.jpg

Sure do. I can live with it because they are very dim, but it's annoying all the same.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I guess if it got too annoying after a while, you could always introduce a diode inline with your turn signals to block the backfeeding.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Blckshdw said:
I guess if it got too annoying after a while, you could always introduce a diode inline with your turn signals to block the backfeeding.

Can you do a Ricky and splain? Please? Where on the line etc.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Matt said:
Can you do a Ricky and splain? Please? Where on the line etc.

Anywhere on the brake/turn line coming from the trailer connector, before you split it heading into the tail light connector.

This way, when the brakes or turn signal come on, the signal travels through the line like it should. But when niether is on, AND your parking lights are on, whatever backfed signal that's currently getting through, will get blocked by the diode, and your indicators in the cluster should stay off like normal. Make sense?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Anywhere on the brake/turn line coming from the trailer connector, before you split it heading into the tail light connector.

This way, when the brakes or turn signal come on, the signal travels through the line like it should. But when niether is on, AND your parking lights are on, whatever backfed signal that's currently getting through, will get blocked by the diode, and your indicators in the cluster should stay off like normal. Make sense?

Sure does...next question because I have NFI, what size diode would you recommend and would there be a polarity type issue where it has to go on a certain way?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Matt said:
Sure does...next question because I have NFI, what size diode would you recommend and would there be a polarity type issue where it has to go on a certain way?

Any diode rated for at least 12V should be fine I would think. Their polarity is what makes them work for this situation, they are usually marked by a stripe on the 'ground' side, which would face towards the tails.

A quick Ebay search turned up these (from US sellers)

[EBAY]180433429161[/EBAY] [EBAY]360465682639[/EBAY]

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Any diode rated for at least 12V should be fine I would think. Their polarity is what makes them work for this situation, they are usually marked by a stripe on the 'ground' side, which would face towards the tails.

Thank you sir. :tiphat: Your blood's worth bottling!!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I see you have a 2002. I think GM kinda did some wiring goofs on the 2002 trucks here and there. My 2002's front signal sockets for example aren't wired right either. They work, but technically shouldn't be wired the way they are and it does cause minor backfeed into the parking light circuit that I can see make my rear running light dimly flash (yes it is the front socket causing this, because if I disconnect the front bulb I don't get the dim flash in the rear park/brake light).

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Matt said:
Thank you sir. :tiphat: Your blood's worth bottling!!

You're welcome, and only if you're looking to market a mosquito attractant... :hopeless: :sadcry:

Sparky said:
I see you have a 2002. I think GM kinda did some wiring goofs on the 2002 trucks here and there. My 2002's front signal sockets for example aren't wired right either. They work, but technically shouldn't be wired the way they are and it does cause minor backfeed into the parking light circuit that I can see make my rear running light dimly flash (yes it is the front socket causing this, because if I disconnect the front bulb I don't get the dim flash in the rear park/brake light).

:rolleyes: I was gonna say Matt is just a trouble maker, but I guess that explanation works too... :raspberry:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Blckshdw said:
You're welcome, and only if you're looking to market a mosquito attractant... :hopeless: :sadcry:

:rolleyes: I was gonna say Matt is just a trouble maker, but I guess that explanation works too... :raspberry:

Thanks...I think! :biggrin:

The back feeding didn't start until I did the mod. But, my front park/turn sockets are SRCK, not regular like the majority of 360's...work that one out!

SteelCityFan

Jan 2, 2012
I figured i would post in here instead of starting a whole new thread, but i was wondering something about doing this. I have LEDs in both turn and brake lights as well as switchbacks in the front. So this brings the total to 3 LED markers on one side if both LEDs in the rear are flashing. Would a 3 ohm resister that I have on there currently be enough? or could someone point me in a direction I might need to take like adding another resister or something. Thanks!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
If it works now you're good to go.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Short Bus said:
If it works now you're good to go.

:iagree: Your only choices are 3 or 6 ohm. 6ohm for either front OR rear LED's, 3ohm for front AND rear LED's.

SteelCityFan

Jan 2, 2012
Okay I did this last night and worked out great! Except for the fact that you can tell I have two different types of LEDs in the turn and brake, but that will all change when I get my modded boards from may and I put in all my new LEDs!

View attachment 24041
This is how I did it with the resistor, connected the one end into the ground coming in and crimped it with the signal coming in from the trailer harness. Then I just crimped the wires coming from the plug and it all works! And the perks of having a friend that works at an installation shop are getting weatherproof butt connectors for free!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353347924.622660.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353347924.622660.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 103

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online