Supersparkz Review

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Well I have recieved my "Supersparkz" from 06Envoy, Thanks! I have installed them and plan to test them out for a week or so. Then maybe pass them on. So far, I havent driven it yet. I did do an idle test (showing RPM's). I cant get the stock video off my camcorder but, I will get a stock video. I do have a video on my other camera of after. Its a startup of the envoy.

IDLE:
I did NOT notice a POSITIVE change in the idle. So far my idle has gotten rougher at around 700RPM's. I get a slight "shake". There is no sound difference. I will update as I go along! Thanks!

Video with Supersparkz:
Sorry for the quality

[video=youtube;A4btjuoi43A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4btjuoi43A&feature=youtu.be[/video]

update 4/21/12

Well today I drove the truck around a Little bit, Nothin Far. At normal speeds between 40-50mph, I was getting a "Surge" of some sort. As I let off the gas, and was coasting it felt like the engine was surging. I havent changed anything other than installing the Supersparks. I didnt get any codes. Could Misfires possibly cause this? What could cause that? I am sure it wasnt the rode because I did it on two different roads.

Note: No change in RPM's, All gauges looked normal.

update 4/28/12

I have had these supersparkz on for about 2 weeks now. I have noticed a negative affect on my truck, it just doesnt like them. I have no codes, but I am getting a noticable vibration and am still getting a small surging. I think its in the best of my interest to pass them on and see how it does in another vechical. I wish I could write a good review but, I am not going to risk an issue that may occur when using this homebrew crap.I just dropped $450 on front struts to be installed, and If something were to go wrong I wouldnt have a vechical. I am sorry and I hope somebody else can have better effects than mine. Thanks.

update 4/29/12

I just took out those POS Supersparkz. Omg what a difference! The idle is a ton smoother without them! I have no Noises like the "Piston slap type noise I was hearing. Drives like a beauty.

Overall Review: DO NOT BUY! They may cause a rougher Idle, Surging at speeds around 40mph and Noises similar to a Piston Slap!

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
MAY03LT said:
Glad to see that you're following up...respect!!!:thumbsup:

Thanks! Your videos have helped me out ALOT! I just need to get this damn video off of my camcorder.
Any suggestions that you want me to do with them installed?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
03envoy said:
Thanks! Your videos have helped me out ALOT! I just need to get this damn video off of my camcorder.
Any suggestions that you want me to do with them installed?

Right on man!!!

In the other thread, people were talking about idle, random misfires, power, and mpg's. So I would say drive the truck normally and see if any of those things are better/worse.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
MAY03LT said:
Right on man!!!

In the other thread, people were talking about idle, random misfires, power, and mpg's. So I would say drive the truck normally and see if any of those things are better/worse.

Ok Thanks!

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
03envoy said:
IDLE:
I did NOT notice a POSITIVE change in the idle. So far my idle has gotten rougher at around 700RPM's. I get a slight "shake". There is no sound difference. I will update as I go along! Thanks!
Just so we can get a somewhat scientific test here, we need to state a few basics.

Did you disconnect the battery while installing the supersparkz?

I'm asking, because clearing the "learned" programming in the pcm will skew the results (maybe the reason for the roughness at 700rpm).

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Good to see that you got them ok.

Did the uneven lengths throw you off? Any problems installing them?

Also just to clarify to everyone, he received them as I did. In the original baggy.
He was the first one to install them, I never did.

When your done with them, there is another fella here who PM'd me and would like to try them.
EDIT: Unless they blow your mind and you want to keep them of coarse! :raspberry:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Are you sure you have the correct size? IIRC 02-05 and 06+ are different.

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Short Bus said:
Are you sure you have the correct size? IIRC 02-05 and 06+ are different.

Good thinking, but no worries.
I bought those for my wife's truck which is an '04.
He should be good to go with his '03.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
RayVoy said:
Just so we can get a somewhat scientific test here, we need to state a few basics.

Did you disconnect the battery while installing the supersparkz?

I'm asking, because clearing the "learned" programming in the pcm will skew the results (maybe the reason for the roughness at 700rpm).

Yes, I shut the hood and forgot to connect it:lipsrsealed: Then connected it and started it up!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
And PCM scan data of things like misfires, fuel trims, and so forth would be acceptable data. Claims of butt dyno improvements will be viewed with skepticism.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
06Envoy said:
Good to see that you got them ok.

Did the uneven lengths throw you off? Any problems installing them?

Also just to clarify to everyone, he received them as I did. In the original baggy.
He was the first one to install them, I never did.

When your done with them, there is another fella here who PM'd me and would like to try them.
EDIT: Unless they blow your mind and you want to keep them of coarse! :raspberry:

No. I just put that longer one in cylinder two so it was easy to get at. That's fine if he wants them, but I want to atleast keep them for a couple weeks so I can really see if they do a thing. If you don't mind? If I do like them, I will still send them to him and I will order my own pair! :biggrin:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
the roadie said:
And PCM scan data of things like misfires, fuel trims, and so forth would be acceptable data. Claims of butt dyno improvements will be viewed with skepticism.

Agreed. Can an OBDII do that?

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Well I cant Edit my first post, but I will just add Information as I go.

Well today I drove the truck around a Little bit, Nothin Far. At normal speeds between 40-50mph, I was getting a "Surge" of some sort. As I let off the gas, and was coasting it felt like the engine was surging. I havent changed anything other than installing the Supersparks. I didnt get any codes. Could Misfires possibly cause this? What could cause that? I am sure it wasnt the rode because I did it on two different roads.

Note: No change in RPM's, All gauges looked normal.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
03envoy said:
Well, here's the problem, and probably the source for the surging. Before you started the project, the PCM adjusted it's self to your way of driving (the "learned" reference in my previous post), when you disconnect the battery, you removed all of those "learned" adjustments, along with any adjustments for things like a dirty throttle body.

I am afraid, that anything you feel/see/hear in the way of a change, will be because of the battery disconnect and not because of the supersparkz.

The "better" test would have been to not disconnect the battery.

My 2 cents, would have you go back to the oem equipment, clean the throttle body and drive for awhile (time and distance depends upon how you drive), then change to the supersparkz (without disconnecting the battery) carry on with the comparison.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
RayVoy said:
Well, here's the problem, and probably the source for the surging. Before you started the project, the PCM adjusted it's self to your way of driving (the "learned" reference in my previous post), when you disconnect the battery, you removed all of those "learned" adjustments, along with any adjustments for things like a dirty throttle body.

I am afraid, that anything you feel/see/hear in the way of a change, will be because of the battery disconnect and not because of the supersparkz.

The "better" test would have been to not disconnect the battery.

My 2 cents, would have you go back to the oem equipment, clean the throttle body and drive for awhile (time and distance depends upon how you drive), then change to the supersparkz (without disconnecting the battery) carry on with the comparison.

Hmmmm. :undecided:
Once I get the time I will do. I am not going to rush this. So I will do as stated and then Drive the truck regularly for approximatly a week or so. Then I will switch back to the supersparks, Without disconnecting the battery? Correct?

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
03envoy said:
Hmmmm. :undecided:
Once I get the time I will do. I am not going to rush this. So I will do as stated and then Drive the truck regularly for approximately a week or so. Then I will switch back to the supersparks, Without disconnecting the battery? Correct?
Yep,,,,,,,,,,,,,or, just leave it alone, drive it as it is for a few weeks, Do not try to compare it to the way it use to drive.

After a couple of weeks of driving (when the "learned" adjustments are re-established, start your notes. This is your starting point.

Take notes for a couple of weeks.

Change back to the oem conductors (without disconnecting the battery) and continue the notes and the test.

You would be comparing the original to the supersparkz, instead of the other way, but that will work :thumbsup:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
RayVoy said:
Yep,,,,,,,,,,,,,or, just leave it alone, drive it as it is for a few weeks, Do not try to compare it to the way it use to drive.

After a couple of weeks of driving (when the "learned" adjustments are re-established, start your notes. This is your starting point.

Take notes for a couple of weeks.

Change back to the oem conductors (without disconnecting the battery) and continue the notes and the test.

You would be comparing the original to the supersparkz, instead of the other way, but that will work :thumbsup:

Gotcha. This way seems better. I will start! lol Thanks!

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I have had these supersparkz on for about 2 weeks now. I have noticed a negative affect on my truck, it just doesnt like them. I have no codes, but I am getting a noticable vibration and am still getting a small surging. I think its in the best of my interest to pass them on and see how it does in another vechical. I wish I could write a good review but, I am not going to risk an issue that may occur when using this homebrew crap.I just dropped $450 on front struts to be installed, and If something were to go wrong I wouldnt have a vechical. I am sorry and I hope somebody else can have better effects than mine. Thanks.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
03envoy said:
Well I cant Edit my first post, but I will just add Information as I go.

I copied your follow up posts into the original post so everything is right there.:cool:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
MAY03LT said:
I copied your follow up posts into the original post so everything is right there.:cool:

Thanks man!

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
03envoy said:

Yup. There is another fella waiting to try them. PM sent.

Thanks for the reviews!

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Please continue your review after you have removed them and let us know what happens.

To be scientifically valid, a product would have to show a certain effect once installed, and then return to the previous state once removed. Please let us know if the vibration you experienced disappeared after you removed the Supersparkz.

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Chickenhawk said:
Please continue your review after you have removed them and let us know what happens.

To be scientifically valid, a product would have to show a certain effect once installed, and then return to the previous state once removed. Please let us know if the vibration you experienced disappeared after you removed the Supersparkz.

Will do!

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I just took out those POS Supersparkz. Omg what a difference! The idle is a ton smoother without them! I have no Noises like the "Piston slap type noise I was hearing. Drives like a beauty.

Overall Review: DO NOT BUY! They may cause a rougher Idle, Surging at speeds around 40mph and Noises similar to a Piston Slap!
Thanks,
Trent

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
At the risk of you flying to San Diego and slapping me, to be DOUBLY certain, you have to put them back in and take them out again and repeat the experiment.

Or you can be a believer like me that there is a lot of snake oil in the world and people just make shit up to sell it.:wink:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
the roadie said:
At the risk of you flying to San Diego and slapping me, to be DOUBLY certain, you have to put them back in and take them out again and repeat the experiment.

Or you can be a believer like me that there is a lot of snake oil in the world and people just make shit up to sell it.:wink:

What bullshit these are. Man that pissed me off. But, Yes Roadie I learned from my mistake of even thinking these would work!:duh::hissyfit:

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Strange you're having all these side affects buddy! I haven't experienced any of the symptoms you've had! I had a slight improvement at the beginning but now it's more or less the same as before. I'm keeping them for now, but for the heck of it during my next spark plug change i'll swap back to the springs. No real value from them anyways! :rotfl:

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
Is there anyone else who would like a shot at them?
(Here's looking at you Roadie!)

The next person who was inline to test them PM'd me and declined. Not to sure that I'm surprized really.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

Attachments

• A_Cartoon_Man_Being_Shot_Out_Cannon_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_100509-137682-795053.jpg
    A_Cartoon_Man_Being_Shot_Out_Cannon_Royalty_Free_Clipart_Picture_100509-137682-795053.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 112

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Here's what I'd do with them:

View attachment 6475

Ya but, but, but!!!

Who better than you to scientifically test these things.
You'll be skeptical (putting it mildly) to be sure, but You'll be honest and thorough.
And that's what this product needs.

Heck GMTNation.com could be the site to prove either way and we could be linked to other sites where the vender is peddling this product.
What say you?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
06Envoy said:
What say you?
I have a bit too much stuff going on at the moment I can't even BEGIN to list, but it involves working about 75 hours a week, flying to Korea on Saturday, driving my wife to work every morning with her broken ankle, and so forth. I haven't even driven the Roadiemobile in 3 weeks. That sort of stuff. :lipsrsealed:

So I have to decline. :frown:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
the roadie said:
I have a bit too much stuff going on at the moment I can't even BEGIN to list, but it involves working about 75 hours a week, flying to Korea on Saturday, driving my wife to work every morning with her broken ankle, and so forth. I haven't even driven the Roadiemobile in 3 weeks. That sort of stuff. :lipsrsealed:

So I have to decline. :frown:

Busy man! :eek:

06envoy,
I was just going to put up a post asking if anybody else wanted a shot!:crazy:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
fadyasha said:
Strange you're having all these side affects buddy! I haven't experienced any of the symptoms you've had! I had a slight improvement at the beginning but now it's more or less the same as before. I'm keeping them for now, but for the heck of it during my next spark plug change i'll swap back to the springs. No real value from them anyways! :rotfl:

Yea, I could instantly feel the change once I switched back!:eek:
It was a Pain in the ass to get that first cylinder coil out! Twice! Lol

06Envoy

Dec 4, 2011
03envoy said:
...I was just going to put up a post asking if anybody else wanted a shot!:crazy:

Sure! So if anyone wants to try them out and post up your results, please speak up!

03envoy did a great job of keeping the reviews honest and informative. That's all we are looking for from the next reviewer.

Remember these are free to you. If you like them, keep them! If you don't like them, just pay the shipping to the next guy. Simple right?
And remember to post up honest results. :thumbsup:

03envoy

Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
06Envoy said:
Sure! So if anyone wants to try them out and post up your results, please speak up!

03envoy did a great job of keeping the reviews honest and informative. That's all we are looking for from the next reviewer.

Remember these are free to you. If you like them, keep them! If you don't like them, just pay the shipping to the next guy. Simple right?
And remember to post up honest results. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Tomarrow just to add to it, I will post a cold start without them to compare too the video posted before.
Yep, always looking for another opinion!

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Ok, so I know this is a little old of a post and all, BUT I really wanted to say something about these things because I had looked at them before myself... Ok, bear with me because this could get a little long winded and if your not a real electrician you might just want to skip to the end...

We all know there are regular spark systems and resistor type. Ok, well, the stock setup is a wound coil "spring" type of connection. Anytime that you coil (wind up) any type of wire you create a self inductance in the length of wire, depends on the length and tightness of the coil itself. Self inductance is a wire creating its own current from the magnetic force generated between each coil. This current created effectively goes backwards thru the wire counteracting the applied current put to the wire. So, in other words a coiled wire like this is a crude resistor.

A good example of this being used for a real purpose is the ABS system on GM vehicles (At least in the past). The wires coming from the WSS's (+ & -) were twisted, or coiled together. This created resistance in the wire itself. When serviced, these wires had to be rebuilt including the same number of twists as was put in it from the factory or it would fail its self test and set a code with the EBCM. Check out a TSB or GM repair manual on a mid ninetys passenger car, it will tell the tech to make sure there are X number of twists in the sensor wire.

So to sum it up, the absence of this resistance more than likely screws with the coil or the PCM. So just don't do it, its junk made by someone that thinks a solid connection is better and doesn't understand electricity....

Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go and stretch my fingers... :yes:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online