Supercharged Trailblazer 4200 I6

bruhaba

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
its in...one last photo before I cover it all up and it's no longer new. Heat shield will go on and all bracketry an intake gets installed. Exhaust is all fabricated and hung except for 12 inches to connect to header. I'm ready for this thing to be back on the road. Stuff takes me too long these days.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
That looks beeeeaautiful! [emoji41]

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
bruhaba said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIc8jLxvzp0

It sounds pretty mean when I get on it. Whoever said to straight pipe it is crazy.
Oooo laaa laaa, she sounds great buddy [emoji41]

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Your SES light is on :tongue:

I love custom built stuff like this.

Reactions: Blckshdw and Capote

bruhaba

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Gave it a tune today. Engine light is now off. I hadn't deleted the downstream O2 yet in the tune.

Impressive results. I couldn't believe it myself. About 18% more airflow! There was a lot of power couped up in that exhaust!!!!!!!!!!

Stock airflow 212g/s=291 hp

supercharged stock exhaust airflow. 268g/s=368 hp

New exhaust 315 g/s= 432 hp

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Oh my god man, awesome results!!! Woo all that hard work played off

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Those are big numbers for the i6!

Nice work!

Reactions: Capote

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'm assuming at the crank given the first HP number. Won't get that at the wheels but lines right up with stock HP numbers which are at the crank.

bruhaba

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Yeah... At the crank negative nelly Sparky. Just rough estimates to get in the ballpark.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Bet that will be fun to play with.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I was gonna say, for a minute there I was pretty impressed with 432 at the wheels for an I6. But never the less, still a unique and productive build. Well done!

Mike w

Jun 24, 2014
TollKeeper said:
I just hate seeing that Ford emblem under the hood of a GM.. Its like sacrilegious or something..

Good looking beast thou..
Gave a ford part a good use.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
How are your IATs looking? I know they were a concern of yours early on. Did those additional modifications do the trick?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Anything is possible on any platform if your pockets are deep enough. Guy on ssowners just put down 1150 RWHP and years to build and he blew it up on his 2nd pass at LS Fest last wk... 21 lbs of boost on a turbo. Would I spend that? Probably not. So to each their own.

I don't want to clutter up this guy's thread with the "this engine does this, and this one can do that" banter and take away from the great progress, uniquness, and outcome he's accomplished.

So kudos OP. Push her to the limits and have fun doing it!

bruhaba

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
I imagine my next crank pulley may break the engine. It's real happy right now at 6 psi boost. Next up is 12 with water injection.

Big problem...the slow opening throttle doesn't let it go any quicker off the line. It really was consuming near 20% more air but my time at the 1/8 was not any faster. Mph was 3-4 faster though. I need to come up with a way to get the throttle open. I'll log it to show you guys. I think it's literally 3-4 seconds before it's open from when you stomp it.

Im thinking 1-1/2" solenoid that bypasses the throttle body and whacks open at full throttle. Just have to think through the safety issues with that.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:confused: Tuning the torque management didn't open the throttle any faster? I thought that's all that was...

Reactions: Mounce

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
The throttle response is one of the main things addressed with a tune on this platform.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
It can be changed in the tune, I've seen the before/after of our throttle body response in a video and the default settings suck!

bruhaba

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Only 08-09 platforms can change it in the tune. That video you saw is with an e67 pcm. Same ones on v8 GM stuff. Our p12,p10 from 02-07 cannot be changed. I guess I can't say I've completely killed torque management as I left some in there to help the trans survive. I'll kill TM and log the throttle and see if it changes. I don't think it will. I'm thinking people are a bit optimistic when they buy a tune.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
My 06 Trailblazer had the throttle response improved by pcm of nc. Maybe call and see what they do?

bruhaba

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Most of what you feel is deleting the power enrichment delay and maybe some more aggressive timing. There are no provisions in Hptuners for throttle opening rate on an 06 pcm.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Send Jeremy at Lime-swap.com an email. He is also well versed in these engines. He swapped one into a Supra. I'm pretty sure that torque management can be disabled.

bruhaba

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
I know how to disable TM. that's not the problem. I'll try it and record the data to see if it helps.

bruhaba

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Alright, disabling torque management made no difference. Check out the logs in the photo. Literally takes the throttle blade almost 2 seconds to open when I slam the pedal WFO in 0.2 seconds.. No change whatsoever when I zero out the torque management table. No offense guys, but unless someone can show me some data i'm going to believe that you are all optimistically feeling what you want to feel after buying a tune. As I said earlier, power enrichment and spark timing are the knobs we can turn in the tune.

I bet these trailblazers will be completely different vehicles if we can figure out a way around this.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This video shows exactly what is happening, talks about it a bit too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLsY7dYjenY

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
bruhaba said:
Alright, disabling torque management made no difference. Check out the logs in the photo. Literally takes the throttle blade almost 2 seconds to open when I slam the pedal WFO in 0.2 seconds.. No change whatsoever when I zero out the torque management table. No offense guys, but unless someone can show me some data i'm going to believe that you are all optimistically feeling what you want to feel after buying a tune. As I said earlier, power enrichment and spark timing are the knobs we can turn in the tune.

I bet these trailblazers will be completely different vehicles if we can figure out a way around this.

That statement is offensive. Just because you haven't figured it out YET doesn't mean it's not possible. Guarantee you mine opens fast.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There has to be a way. It's probably buried somewhere in there. Did you contact Jeremy like I suggested?

bruhaba

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
I didn't say "You are a liar". Please don't take it personally. By feel I thought my car was a lot faster when I first finished it until I looked at the data. The PE and timing tuning could be what you are all feeling. How would you separate that from throttle opening rate without data?

To be clear, I haven't lookat at older PCM's. I'm not sure aout 02-05 applications, but if it is the same PCM as mine 06-07; I'm doubtful based on what I have seen.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online