suggestions

rywegh

Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
Hey guys thinking about going ahead and getting a code scanner. what do you recommend? Usb cable to laptop running a OBDII reading software, handheld scanner, bluetooth adapter/scanner with laptop software? If using the laptop what software do you recommend?

The issues the past week or so with the TB have shown the wife how handy the scanner can be. This years Christmas present will be a scanner, which one do I tell her to buy?

Mods if this is in the wrong place please move to the right forum.

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
Unless you're looking for something really fancy, I have been thrilled with a bluetooth adapter and Torque on my phone; I think I spent $28 total including paying for the $5 version of the app instead of the free version. Lots of cool stuff. I have another handheld scanner and it doesn't hold a candle to Torque. Naturally, if you want to spend more you can get something a lot more advanced, but that's beyond my skill level.

rywegh

Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
running iPhone so I believe torque is out. But if I was to get the bluetooth adapter and a BT dongle for my laptop it would function the same way right?

Spyw

Apr 23, 2012
Lima Tango said:
Unless you're looking for something really fancy, I have been thrilled with a bluetooth adapter and Torque on my phone; I think I spent $28 total including paying for the $5 version of the app instead of the free version. Lots of cool stuff. I have another handheld scanner and it doesn't hold a candle to Torque. Naturally, if you want to spend more you can get something a lot more advanced, but that's beyond my skill level.

What bluetooth adapter did you go with? According to what I've read from torque, the cheaper ones are hit and miss for reliability. If you found one that works well, I'd love to give that a shot before I fork over the money for a more expensive adapter.

Lima Tango

Dec 4, 2011
Spyw said:
What bluetooth adapter did you go with? According to what I've read from torque, the cheaper ones are hit and miss for reliability. If you found one that works well, I'd love to give that a shot before I fork over the money for a more expensive adapter.

BAFX Products - ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII scan tool, bought it off amazon. Worked perfectly right out of the box.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have torque and a couple cheapy plugin, but really perfer the Scangauge II.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
I have a Equus 3130 and love it. Has freeze frame data for error codes and you can see the live data stream. Got it cheap on Amazon for about $100 a couple years back.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
If you get an Android tablet or phone and use Torque i would stay away from those Chinese < $50 adapters. I got the bluetooth one on ebay a year ago and its been dying a slow death. I really want to get a PLX kiwi bluetooth.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online