strut mount

Black_tb

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
this prolly a stupid question but im pretty sure i need to replace my strut mounts.... my question is do i have to take the struts completely apart to install the rubber mount?

im thinking yes hoping no

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yes.

Why do you think you need new ones? If the mounts are bad, your shocks probably aren't far behind. Unless you replaced shocks without replacing the mounts at some point...

Black_tb

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Sparky said:
Yes.

Why do you think you need new ones? If the mounts are bad, your shocks probably aren't far behind. Unless you replaced shocks without replacing the mounts at some point...

i did replace shocks last year and here lately every time i hit a bump i hear a metal clunk

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I would suspect sway links first. Make sure those are cranked down TIGHT. Mine looked and felt tight until I got a wrench on them and I was able to tighten a bit more, then they haven't made any noise since.

The mounts will make squeaking noises and stuff long before any metallic noise. In order for them to make metallic noise the entire rubber section would have to be missing.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I would go ahead and check all of the sway end links.

Black_tb

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I guess we can take a look on Saturday lol

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Sure. I'll throw my long ratchet in the back to be sure we have leverage :biggrin:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Sparky said:
Sure. I'll throw my long ratchet in the back to be sure we have leverage :biggrin:

Don't forget the ramps and cheater pipe.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
djthumper said:
Don't forget the ramps and cheater pipe.

I don't have any ramps. I can bring my jack and stands tho.

DetsTB

Oct 17, 2013
Black_tb said:
this prolly a stupid question but im pretty sure i need to replace my strut mounts.... my question is do i have to take the struts completely apart to install the rubber mount?

im thinking yes hoping no

Yes curios to know what the noise was, sway bar links or strut mounts?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
When we checked his links were shot.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online