Starting routine. Is this normal?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
My Envoy has always done this so I'm thinking it's normal but.....let me know if you think otherwise.

When it's cold, I will crank it for 4-5 seconds. When I let the key go back to the run position it will usually start. Sometimes it takes a second round....but it seems to catch earlier if I let the key switch go back to the run position. When it's warmed up it usually starts up right away regardless of the switch position.

I'm used to vehicles starting in the start position....in this case it seems to start easier when the switch is released to the run position. It's always been this way....I'm just wondering if everyone else has a similar experience.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I have what might be the same / similar issue in my Sierra, and until I track down the source (which I've been working on for awhile, now), I do this, for all except a hot restart (within 5min)

- Turn the key to 'on', but not 'start / run'. Keep it there for 5 sec or so. If you have the radio / HVAC off, you'll probably hear the fuel pump running, behind you.
- Turn the key back, and immediately repeat the 5 sec 'on' cycle, above
- Turn the key back, and this time, crank to start.

See if that shortens the cranking a bit. IF it does... this is usually used as a workaround for a faulty check valve in the fuel pump (the key cycles repressurize it), or an iffy fuel pressure regulator. The check valve keeps the fuel pressure from bleeding down when the engine is shut off.

In my case, I've replaced the fuel pump (where my check valve is), and the FPR checks OK. I've also replaced the evap vent canister, and the problem persists. I know my sitting fuel pressure checks out, too.
When this happens to me, I can crank forever on that first attempt (if I don't repressurize), and no start. But it starts immediately on the second attempt, always.

The next thing I'm checking out is the fuel pump relay. I don't have any issues with it once started, btw. But this is the next thing I'm checking, with mine.

Reactions: Mooseman

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
The system (not sure which years are covered or all years) has a "computer aided start" sequence. Basically, just "pulsing" the key to the start position is all you need to do. The PCM takes over from there and maintains a "start mode" towards the rest of the electrical (ie. start relay). This action is maintained by the computer for up to X seconds (I don't recall the timing). IF you just hold the key in start, the system will work in a start activation for as long as the key is held in start. The start "outcome" (ie. engine actually starts) may be different depending on what state the various elements are in (ie. age, wear, operating temperature, battery level, etc).

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The system (not sure which years are covered or all years) has a "computer aided start" sequence. Basically, just "pulsing" the key to the start position is all you need to do. The PCM takes over from there and maintains a "start mode" towards the rest of the electrical (ie. start relay). This action is maintained by the computer for up to X seconds (I don't recall the timing). IF you just hold the key in start, the system will work in a start activation for as long as the key is held in start. The start "outcome" (ie. engine actually starts) may be different depending on what state the various elements are in (ie. age, wear, operating temperature, battery level, etc).
I call call it "flick start". Flick the key to start and return to RUN and it will crank on its own for X seconds until it start of fails and stops. See what happens when you do it this way.

I'm also with @Reprise on the fuel pressure thing. Try what he described or hook up a fuel pressure gauge to see if it bleeds out after priming.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Tried the "flick" start just for grins. Mine doesn't do that. It only cranks when it's in the start position. When I let it return back to run position it stops cranking and simultaneously starts. It's always done this and it's starting just fine. It's just different from my other cars.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What year is your 'Voy? I remember my 02 didn't have it until the dealer updated it and then it did.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
02 Envoy. I'm happy with the way it is. It's running better than it has in long time. Between decarboning the pick up screen with the Berryman's soak, and finally figuring out how to test coils and replace the one bad one...instead of all 6.... And getting my CD. Tunes back up and running, I'm very happy with it. Not messing with anything right now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online