SS rotors/pads size vs 4.2/5.3

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I bought rotors and pads from Detroit Axle. Or said they fit 2005-2007 97x.

I didn't measure before hand even though this is not the first fitment issue I've had.

The old rotors are 11 7/8 in. wide. The new rotors are 12 3/4 in. wide.

I did however make sure that the steering knuckle was the same part number for SS and 97x. I guess I should have checked the caliper bracket size as well?

The new rotors are scraping against the caliper bracket and I can't get the second bolt to the bracket in the bolt hole.

I REALLY want these bigger rotors. Is the caliper possibly the only thing that's a different size?

IMG_20190914_102907.jpgIMG_20190914_102901.jpgIMG_20190914_103608.jpg

Edit: I assume the calipers themselves could be a different size as well?
I guess these are probably also built for the EXTs as well as the SSs?

Last edited:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I REALLY want these bigger rotors. Is the caliper possibly the only thing that's a different size?
If you want those rotors your going to have to pick up a set of brackets from a TBSS or ext. Calipers are the same across the board. Pick n pull would be your best bet, unless someone like myself has a set laying around and you can wait for shipping.

Reactions: Reprise

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
@xavierny25
Thank god!!! I was worried I was going to have to buy calipers and brackets. I'd like to get the brakes done this weekend. I'll see if the local junkyard has the bigger caliper brackets. Thank you!

Reactions: xavierny25

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
This last weekend was probably one of the most rewarding weekends I've had for swapping out parts. Those new brakes and rotors are unbelievable!

The stopping power of those 5.3/SS rotors is undeniably noticeable. I barely have to touch the brakes to feel the 97x slow down. Let me tell you something else... Those rotors are HEAVY! My standard (I don't know how old) rotors probably weigh about 5-7lbs. The new rotors easily weigh 10-15lbs, maybe even 20lbs.

I suggest that if anyone who has a 4.2 or 5.3 that has the 12-inch rotors, upgrade the caliper brackets, (which can also be gotten from the Acadia and Traverse, verify through AutoZone) rotors, and brake pads.

The Detroit Axle rotors and pads I used are about $75 for the front, depending on where you buy them, I bought mine on Amazon. They also have most of the same parts listed on eBay and cheaper. I assume they cost more on Amazon because of the 2-day shipping.

Reactions: Mooseman

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
This last weekend was probably one of the most rewarding weekends I've had for swapping out parts. Those new brakes and rotors are unbelievable!

The stopping power of those 5.3/SS rotors is undeniably noticeable. I barely have to touch the brakes to feel the 97x slow down. Let me tell you something else... Those rotors are HEAVY! My standard (I don't know how old) rotors probably weigh about 5-7lbs. The new rotors easily weigh 10-15lbs, maybe even 20lbs.

I suggest that if anyone who has a 4.2 or 5.3 that has the 12-inch rotors, upgrade the caliper brackets, (which can also be gotten from the Acadia and Traverse, verify through AutoZone) rotors, and brake pads.

The Detroit Axle rotors and pads I used are about $75 for the front, depending on where you buy them, I bought mine on Amazon. They also have most of the same parts listed on eBay and cheaper. I assume they cost more on Amazon because of the 2-day shipping.

The 12" rotors is a great upgrade from stock but where I felt the biggest improvement was when I switched over to stainless braided lines(available from clarksville fasteners) to each caliper. I replaced them on both my Voy and my brother-in-laws SS and man was it worth it.

Reactions: Mooseman

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
The 12" rotors is a great upgrade from stock but where I felt the biggest improvement was when I switched over to stainless braided lines(available from clarksville fasteners) to each caliper. I replaced them on both my Voy and my brother-in-laws SS and man was it worth it.
And xavierny25 adds to my project list, lol.
Did you order these? http://www.clarksvillefasteners.com/stainless-steel-brake-hose/Trailblazer-Envoy-Saab

I might try to get those on before winter hits.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
And xavierny25 adds to my project list, lol.
Do you order these? http://www.clarksvillefasteners.com/stainless-steel-brake-hose/Trailblazer-Envoy-Saab

I might try to get those on before winter hits.
Thats exactly what I ordered. Please note that in order to do the rear you most be sure that your truck doesn't have a T off from the driver side rear main line. But has individual lines from the abs to each caliper back there. My model yr is 08 and the SS is an 08 as well so they had brake line to each corner of the truck from the abs module.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If I am remembering correctly, there is an easy way to determine if you have those style brakes that @xavierny25 , you would need to have the Traction Control system factory installed on the vehicle (IE- The little button on the gear shift selector). Mine did not have this factory, and I have the T on my 2004 XUV.

Reactions: xavierny25

Maverick6587

Original poster
Dec 16, 2018
Oh, good to know. I do have that button, so I should be ok.
I probably would have just ordered anyway and then sold it if I had the T. lol

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
If you want those rotors your going to have to pick up a set of brackets from a TBSS or ext. Calipers are the same across the board. Pick n pull would be your best bet, unless someone like myself has a set laying around and you can wait for shipping.

I thought the SS calipers are steel/iron? The rest are aluminum?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I thought the SS calipers are steel/iron? The rest are aluminum?
You are right about that. What I was referring to was mounting points. I'm not sure what year gm may of switched to steel but my 08 envoy had steel calipers so I wouldn't say its specifically the SS that had them.

Reactions: Wooluf1952

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yes and no. Here's the real scoop.

'02 to '05 are all aluminum and there were no SS yet. Only difference is size of rotors and the caliper brackets.

'06+ are all cast iron (4.2, EXT, 5.3, SS). Only difference is size of rotors and the caliper brackets.

The SS rotors are the same diameter as the EXT/5.3 rotors but are heavier and have more vanes for better cooling.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Yes and no. Here's the real scoop.

'02 to '05 are all aluminum and there were no SS yet. Only difference is size of rotors and the caliper brackets.

'06+ are all cast iron (4.2, EXT, 5.3, SS). Only difference is size of rotors and the caliper brackets.

The SS rotors are the same diameter as the EXT/5.3 rotors but are heavier and have more vanes for better cooling.

Does anyone have OEM part numbers for SS Rotors? Rockauto doesn't have a selection for Trailbazer SS.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Does anyone have OEM part numbers for SS Rotors? Rockauto doesn't have a selection for Trailbazer SS.

Yes, just look up for any 2006-9 Trailblazer 6.0L.

ACDelco Advantage coated: 18A2457AC
ACDelco Professional: 18A2457
ACDelco OEM coated: 1770998

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online