Someone Tried to Break In

David B.

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Dang it all, someone did a number on my TB when they tried to break in last night. This angers me. They didn't gain entry, but now neither can I! (At least through the drivers side door, handle completely not functioning)

Not sure what they thought they were going to get, unless they planned to just drive off with it. In any case, what a great start to the morning...

View attachment 21294

View attachment 21295

Attachments

• 20120607_100157.jpg
    20120607_100157.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20120607_100201.jpg
    20120607_100201.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 14

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Amaetuers definitly. My dad's minivan was broken into in Hawaii and they did such a clean job on the keyhole he didn't even know for a while. Had to replace the lock cylinder when he figured it out.

David B.

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Uncle Blazer said:
damn, that sucks. they really mashed up that keyhole pretty good.

Yeah, and the idiots tried to pry the handle assembly off, too- all that paint damage sucks!

And probably just some kids, I know. Surprised they didn't break the window...

woody79

Dec 3, 2011
That sucks. Not a good way to start the day. Did they damage the door panel just under the handle?

David B.

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
woody79 said:
That sucks. Not a good way to start the day. Did they damage the door panel just under the handle?

I think so- I was late for an appointment, so I had to just hop in my pickup and leave way more quickly than I wanted to. Then of course my pickup acted up, too, but that's another story. But there's definitely damage to the paint under the handle, I assume from prying against it. No other damage was immediately visible, but I have GOT to get home this is killing me!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That sucks. Hopefully the damage is minor.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Dang I would be pissed myself!! It is deff some kids if you ask me...most would not even bother...they would break the window and call it a day. All I know is that my truck would have been screaming if someone was playing with it lol

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
At least they did not get in. When they did mine the damage was pretty significant. Time to install a good alarm. I put in a dual zone magnetic sensor, works freaking awesome. If you so much as touch the door handle the pre alarm goes off. It will also trigger if the windows are down and you put your hand about 6" into the cabin. It is made for a convertible and took alot of fine tuning to get where I wanted it.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
At least they did not get in. When they did mine the damage was pretty significant. Time to install a good alarm. I put in a dual zone magnetic sensor, works freaking awesome. If you so much as touch the door handle the pre alarm goes off. It will also trigger if the windows are down and you put your hand about 6" into the cabin. It is made for a convertible and took alot of fine tuning to get where I wanted it.

Dang that is crazy! I personally told the installers not to make mine THAT sensitive loll I mean you have to somewhat hit the truck so it goes off lol

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
blazinlow89 said:

I had a system like that way back in 1992. Pre alarm would warn you if you got close to the car, and go off if you stuck your hand in the moon roof or windows. That was back before keyless entry was standard.

David B.

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Yeah, my pickup has a pretty sick alarm, I've had to tone it down a bit on that because a guy loved to drive by on his Harley every day and set the thing off. So yeah, time for some of that action on my TB. How hard is it to replace a door handle? LOL

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
If you need a hand David just let me know, sorry to hear about this. The paint damage doesnt look *that* bad, could get away with a new handle (and getting it painted) plus a little touch up paint.

Silvys acting up huh? It wants to be tuned...:cool:

David B.

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:
If you need a hand David just let me know, sorry to hear about this. The paint damage doesnt look *that* bad, could get away with a new handle (and getting it painted) plus a little touch up paint.

Silvys acting up huh? It wants to be tuned...:cool:

Haha! It's a Sierra THANK YOU VERY MUCH lol. Yeah, got home and took a look, appears as if the handle/surrounding paint is the only damage. Erik, I may take you up on your offer!

Biff85ta

Jun 4, 2012
[SAVEDGMAP][/SAVEDGMAP]
Jkust said:
I had a system like that way back in 1992. Pre alarm would warn you if you got close to the car, and go off if you stuck your hand in the moon roof or windows. That was back before keyless entry was standard.

I almost kicked a guys camaro one time when the pre alarm went off when I was still several feet from it and scared me. It wasn't a spitefull type thing it was just a startled reaction cause I was still a good three feet or more from the car. However I do feel if you park it in a lot somewhere I should at least have to touch your car before it makes any kind of peep at me. It is really annoying to have someones car yelling at me for walking by.

To the OP that sucks that some low life tried but at least they failed.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
David B. said:
Door lock cylinders are stupid expensive. $240 it seems. :mad:

Excuse me, Sierra. Dont know why I thought it was a Silvy...

Hit me up, Im in Seattle this weekend. Wont be next weekend though!

Get another passenger side door handle and dont get a lock cylinder? I can count on 1 hand how many times Ive used the key hole on my 02 in the last 10 years and all have been when either the battery died or I had the battery disconnected and needed to get into the TB. Think Ive used it on my SS once, maybe?

lint

Dec 4, 2011
David B. said:
Door lock cylinders are stupid expensive. $240 it seems. :mad:

I dont know if you can get one at the junk yard and take the tumblers out and change them to mach the key. I have done that before. But dont know if you can take the newer ones apart , probably but its been awhile, So I'm not sure . Talk to a locksmith . could save some cash. And it looks like the door has a dent in it too. could be the angel .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online