Some Envoy questions...

06Envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
419
I'm so glad there is an alternative to Trailvoy....
I noticed a HUGE difference migrating from TahoeYukonForum.com to TrailVoy.com, and it wasn't a good difference.

I have lots of questions to ask, but I didn't want to get laughed out of town...hehe...

1) How to actually tell what color your truck is... I know its red, but just plain red is not listed as an option....
2) Is there a good replacement for compnine.com? I noticed that the envoy's fogs and reverse lights are ~4". Typically in previous vehicles I would drop in HIDs in there. This time around, I found a smoking deal on some GE 4509 aircraft landing lights. I'm looking for an exploded diagram showing how the existing front and rear housings are mounted so I can McGuyver a mount. Or if anyone else has experience in mounting PAR36 bulbs in those holes, do tell?????
3) What is the part# of the tailgate plastic housing that holds in the 3rd brake light on an extended length Envoy? I got my Envoy Rust Checked yesterday and while driving home, I heard a funny noise and found my 3rd brake light and the whole big peice of plastic floating in the wind. I need an replacement.

Anywho...Thanks!


EDIT: My wife just laughed at me and told me about the color codes being on the rpo sticker. She went out and found 80U and U301N which a quick google searched showed it as being RED JEWEL TINT... I'm off to go update my profile.....
 

Jkust

Member
Dec 4, 2011
945
Recently I searched for quite a while for a compnine clone site but never found one. I really like the vin based build sheet capability.
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,950
North Las Vegas
Hopefully we can find a replacement for compnine.
 

harmless

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,049
06Envoy said:
I have lots of questions to ask, but I didn't want to get laughed out of town...hehe...

EDIT: My wife just laughed at me and told me about the color codes being on the rpo sticker. She went out and found 80U and U301N which a quick google searched showed it as being RED JEWEL TINT... I'm off to go update my profile.....


:rotfl: You were so worried about US that you didn't see the shadow coming up behind you... :biggrin:

Imma gonna enjoy meeting you guys!! :dance:
 

fishsticks

Member
Nov 21, 2011
433
06Envoy said:
2) Is there a good replacement for compnine.com? I noticed that the envoy's fogs and reverse lights are ~4". Typically in previous vehicles I would drop in HIDs in there. This time around, I found a smoking deal on some GE 4509 aircraft


The housings drop in kind of like a radiator. There are some pins on the bottom that sit into holes in the core support, and the top is held on by some tabs with locks that slide over them. You need to pull the grill off to get at them more easily. The grill is held on with snapping fasteners. It pulls off fairly easily. Start from the middle and work your way out.
 

06Envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
419
Ya, who knew my wife knows about those kinds of things.
Alas, I should have guessed it though, she ALWAYS knows where my missing socks/longjohns/keys/most everything in the house are.



Thanks guys, I'm hitting gmpartseast right now.

I'll look at the front grill for those mounts/tabs next weekend when I have some spare time. I'm hoping these lights will drop in, but probably no such luck. We will see.

Thanks again.
 

06Envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
419
Great suggestion to use gmpartseast! THANKS!
I like their diagrams, just like compnine.

I found this there;
lift-gate-hardware-part-1-ts1715401.png


It seems that I need PN 7.
However, according to those guys, it's no longer available.....:sadcry:



No what's a guy to do... I'll hit up the dealership in the morning.
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,950
North Las Vegas
Maybe the wife should be a member as well... You never know what knowledge she will pop up with now. :wink:
 

06Envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
419
I had thought of that, but then I remembered the 'Show pics of your wife' thread on the OS.
Something about a candle.
And if that thread happens to go up in the 'everything goes' section over here, well........you can appreciate my hesitation....

I wasn't interested in posting up pics of my wounds!!!! Especially as she is an ex army cadet girl!!!


BTW... can you guess our call signs????
100_07221.jpg




73's
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Nice pair of trucks.
 

06Envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
419
So I called my local stealership this morning.
They wanted $669 for the trim peice including painting it black. :eek:

The only good thing that came of it was they gave me a part#. Now I can google a better price.
According to the dealership the part# I"m looking for is; 19120563


Now, I'm off to google......
 

harmless

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,049
Try Sudbury Auto Body or Maslack.


I miss those places. You'd be suprised at what they can get you. :cool:
 

06Envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
419
harmless said:
Try Sudbury Auto Body or Maslack.


I miss those places. You'd be suprised at what they can get you. :cool:

Good thinking!

I'll call them this morning....




EDIT: I just called both of them. both said it's a dealer only item...... back to google I go....
 

06Envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
419
A friend asked to see some pics of the damaged molding.

Here goes:
120-albums13-634.jpg


120-albums13-635.jpg


120-albums13-636.jpg


120-albums13-637.jpg



Most of the US places that have inexpensive pricing don't ship to the Great White North!

I'm waiting for a price quote in the morning. We'll see what happens.
 

harmless

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,049
Looks like the clips failed. Interesting.

What's the spot on the truck where that goes looks like? Those clips done too? :undecided:

Might be the picture angle, but it also looks like there was some scraping or gouging done to the longer edge of the part?
 

06Envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
419
Good question about the brackets....
I'll snap some pics in the morning.

That is the two way sticky tape that was pulled off...
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,950
North Las Vegas
double stick tape and plastic clips? :squint: Maybe find a junk yard with one or something?
 

harmless

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,049
djthumper said:
double stick tape and plastic clips? :squint: Maybe find a junk yard with one or something?

Our rides are, for the most part, held together by a bunch of plastic clips. That doesn't worry me. What bugs me is that two way tape. Seems it was broken before and someone tried a quick fix on it and 06Envoy is the poor soul that needs to deal with it now. :lipsrsealed:
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,950
North Las Vegas
harmless said:
Our rides are, for the most part, held together by a bunch of plastic clips. That doesn't worry me. What bugs me is that two way tape. Seems it was broken before and someone tried a quick fix on it and 06Envoy is the poor soul that needs to deal with it now. :lipsrsealed:

The tape is the biggest problem I see with it. I almost think that all of that tape was put on so there wasn't so much stress on the plastic clips. I would not expect to find tape to be the primary thing holding that up there. It is almost as if someone put all of the tape there since they damaged the clips.
 

06Envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
419
Yup, some chunks of that tape looks old and weathered.
I'm thinking for sure that the PO had issues with that molding.

Best price so far shipped to Canada is from a US dealership @ $368.00
I have one more quote coming tomorrow.
Friends think I should hit up junk yards, but I think I'm going for new.....

So to recap, same peice of plastic......
In the US it's worth $200 with free shipping.
In the US shipped to Canada it's worth $368 including shipping.
In Canada it's worth $669 + 13% tax.

And our dollar is currently almost at par ($0.99), and at one point this year it was worth $1.10.
Do you think we Canuck's are bending over? And enjoying it?

Awwwwww, don't get me started...... :mad:
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,950
North Las Vegas
harmless said:
That's the point I was getting at. :cool:

It is about time that you agreed with me. :biggrin:

06Envoy said:
Yup, some chunks of that tape looks old and weathered.
I'm thinking for sure that the PO had issues with that molding.

Best price so far shipped to Canada is from a US dealership @ $368.00
I have one more quote coming tomorrow.
Friends think I should hit up junk yards, but I think I'm going for new.....

So to recap, same peice of plastic......
In the US it's worth $200 with free shipping.
In the US shipped to Canada it's worth $368 including shipping.
In Canada it's worth $669 + 13% tax.

And our dollar is currently almost at par ($0.99), and at one point this year it was worth $1.10.
Do you think we Canuck's are bending over? And enjoying it?

Awwwwww, don't get me started...... :mad:

I don't think it would hurt to check the junk yards and maybe save some money. Unless you really enjoy bending over that much...:deal:
 

06Envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
419
djthumper said:
I don't think it would hurt to check the junk yards and maybe save some money. Unless you really enjoy bending over that much...:deal:

Ya, I was thinking overnight that I probably should at least call a junk yard today and ask. :undecided:
Turns out that it is Xmas season, and I'm not a $$$ tree....but I prefer new parts all around...

And no, I don't enjoy bending over...:tongue:
 

06Envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
419
harmless said:
The option of having it permanently mounted is there as well.... :coffee:

Ya know! I might be heading in that direction! :undecided:



Boy, who would have guessed that peice is so rare to get a hold of in Canada.
Junkyards won't sell the peice by itself. They want to sell the entire liftgate at ~$1000.
 

harmless

Member
Nov 21, 2011
2,049
The whole liftgate?!?! You kidding me?! Just buy the whole wreck, at least then you'd have a ton of spare parts!!

If you chose to go the permanent route, let me know, I can help you with that. :coffee:
 

06Envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
419
Woot! I was browsing kijiji just now and I found THIS.

A brand new tailgate moulding that's local.
Well anywhere in Ontario is local for me!

I left the guy a message and I am waiting for his call back!
Hopefully, I will have it!
 

Buffalo1028

Member
Dec 8, 2011
18
Hi,

Try Car-Parts.Com for your search. You can choose your search to regions, Eastern or Western Canada and Us Regions also.

Buffalo1028
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,950
North Las Vegas
06Envoy said:
Woot! I was browsing kijiji just now and I found THIS.

A brand new tailgate moulding that's local.
Well anywhere in Ontario is local for me!

I left the guy a message and I am waiting for his call back!
Hopefully, I will have it!

Nice, I hope you are able to get it.
 

06Envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
419
djthumper said:
Nice, I hope you are able to get it.

I was hoping too. I was worried about missing it, but.....
:wooot: I got it! I had to drive 11hours round trip to get it, but I got it..and a sore ass.....
I even talked him down to $350!



And with that final purchase the $$$ tree shook out it's last hurrah before Xmas.....Efans and a new HeadUnit will have to wait a month or so.....:sadcry:
PS, I waved at Harmless as I drove by the cottage country turnoff..both times....:raspberry:

I also wanted to say THANK YOU to all the members here who helped me trying to find one. Happy Holidays to all!
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Congrats. Glad you found it.
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,950
North Las Vegas
06Envoy said:
I was hoping too. I was worried about missing it, but.....
:wooot: I got it! I had to drive 11hours round trip to get it, but I got it..and a sore ass.....
I even talked him down to $350!



And with that final purchase the $$$ tree shook out it's last hurrah before Xmas.....Efans and a new HeadUnit will have to wait a month or so.....:sadcry:
PS, I waved at Harmless as I drove by the cottage country turnoff..both times....:raspberry:

I also wanted to say THANK YOU to all the members here who helped me trying to find one. Happy Holidays to all!


Nice! You should have stopped on the way back and asked him to have it mounted today! LOL
 

06Envoy

Original poster
Member
Dec 4, 2011
419
I finally got that rear spoiler lift gate molding installed! :wootwoot:
It's nice knowing that my third brake light is working again, and it looks normal again.
Hehe except that I ordered an Avalanche LED smoked light kit, so I'll have to take it apart again soon.

I also took the opportunity to install replacement Dealership OEM rear shocks. They cost nearly double what Bilstein HD's would have cost me, but I wanted to experience what the original ride was like first before I started to firm it up. Turns out that the dealership OEM shocks had a Bilstein sticker on it. But they don't feel like the HD's though, they feel like the comforts.

Anyways thanks again to all who helped! :grouphug:
 
Jan 21, 2012
58
re your aircraft landing lights be verrry careful they get really hot I would keep away from any plastic! also they are not legal for road use. Here in B.C. you would need covers on them while driving on roads.
 

Tofer76

Member
Dec 8, 2011
148
Enderbygrandpa said:
re your aircraft landing lights be verrry careful they get really hot I would keep away from any plastic! also they are not legal for road use. Here in B.C. you would need covers on them while driving on roads.

i was wondering where you were at on these sounds intriguing!!!
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,236
Posts
637,132
Members
18,404
Latest member
Zoie

Members Online