So.. I got this idea.

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
So, during some late night shopping, I got some tail light covers, and really from the side and far away they have kinda grown on me. The problem is that they just stop at the tailgate and just doesn't fit. So I thought, What could I add so they don't look out of place... And of course make the truck look more like a Mad Max collection of random junk.... So here is my idea.

View attachment 27536
I'm embarrassed to say that I like the look of it. I figure mount it at the plate with some upgraded license plate hardware and some rubber bumpers on the left and right to help stabilize it.

So, what do you think of my not as quick as some other photoshop

Attachments

• newtbrear.jpg
    newtbrear.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 31

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
reminds me of a Stryker ACV

(memories of convoys in Iraq)

NighTblazer

Jan 23, 2012
It looks like a futon frame... It's different I'll give you that. If you like it and it works for you who cares what anybody else thinks! Go with it man!

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
I think you'd be better off with a bumper gaurd. If someone hits you so hard that they're in your tailgate, then you've got other problems. Unless hardtrailz hits you with his 6" lifted truck, i think your fine.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
redleg6 said:
reminds me of a Stryker ACV

(memories of convoys in Iraq)

Tarnished said:
My thoughts exactly. Early convoy flashbacks..

:iagree:

Not a fan of this at all. Plus, for some reason I see it being a challenge to people to see how hard they have to tug on it to rip it off.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
That hitch ball will stop most vehicles before they even come close to your tailgate. I had a 2007 Honda accord blast me at about 25mph with no brakes and my ball went right through the 'H'. When I determined my ride was totally fine and she didn't want to get cops involved (c'mon, she was cute) I pulled away and there was a nice trailer hitch shaped hole about 4 inches deep into grill/ac condenser.

rjpoog1989

Dec 4, 2011
I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I'm impressed with your photoshop ability!:thumbsup:

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
rjpoog1989 said:
I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I'm impressed with your photoshop ability!:thumbsup:

Lol thanks, that's all from misc copy and paste/ transform from the left taillight guard. I could of cleaned it up a bit, but I think it gets the idea across.

The guard would be completely worthless as far as protecting anything (unless you open the gate and have a low ceiling I guess) was just trying to think of some way to make the tail light guards look better. For any kind of function, could make it flip down so it acts like a luggage rack I guess :undecided:

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
willn513 said:
That hitch ball will stop most vehicles before they even come close to your tailgate. I had a 2007 Honda accord blast me at about 25mph with no brakes and my ball went right through the 'H'. When I determined my ride was totally fine and she didn't want to get cops involved (c'mon, she was cute) I pulled away and there was a nice trailer hitch shaped hole about 4 inches deep into grill/ac condenser.

would love too have seen that in person...lol

i dont see the bars as beneficial even if its not real, i know you were messing around but i'd rather have a Barton style rear bumper to help protect the tailgate

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
redleg6 said:

i dont see the bars as beneficial even if its not real, i know you were messing around but i'd rather have a Barton style rear bumper to help protect the tailgate

This one?
S11-P032.jpg

OffRoad TB - View topic - Tire Gate?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
redleg6 said:

Grimor said:

No. That is a hitchgate and stock hitch.

This is the only Barton rear bumper right now...

b2-1.jpg

b1-1.jpg

2012-07-15_21-06-05_909.jpg

2012-07-15_21-05-05_719.jpg

redleg6

Apr 10, 2012
bingo

Grimor

Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
willn513 said:
Shoot i thought it was real!

Could of done better, the bottom corners weren't smoothed, and you can see the breaks at the side rails where I didn't blend. No weld spots added on the vertical bars... If anyone ever wants to see what something looks like on their vehicle before they put it on, let me know and I can do a mockup for ya.

Shdwdrgn

Dec 4, 2011
Just an idea to make it functionally useful... What if you brought the whole panel out to line up with the back end of the bumper, and curved in the sides to come back to the tailgate? You would then need to hinge the panel off the bumper so it could fold down when opening the tailgate... The purpose of this would be that you now have a protected carrier space a few inches deep where you could mount gas or water cans and other tools.

I do like how your original idea ties the taillight guards together, but have to agree that it would serve no function other than added extra weight to the vehicle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online