Should I or shouldn't I

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
My wife noticed a 1965 Ford Mustang for sale on the side of the road. I stopped by last night and it really does look good. A few issues but there could be more. Needed a jump but couln't get the engine to run. Since its parked slightly down hill and the gauge reads E I suspect the fuel pickup is dry. Tempting at $10,500.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You would think if they were serious about selling it, it would be kept in good demo condition. Just sayin'.

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Good point!

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Sounds very tempting. Before you jump on it, I would weigh the pros & cons.

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Make sure it's not rotted to hell and beat them down on the price. As long as it doesn't need extensive metal or interior work, everything else is easy enough. Talk a better game and you'll come out on top. People always overprice classics.

Charley12

Mar 23, 2013
10,500 sounds high to me unless its an original V8 car that is matching numbers. My dad and I restore mustangs, we have a 67 that is for sale. Its a 6cyl car that is a 6.5-7 out of 10. It is 1 of 2 made ( have documents to prove) we deliver and everything. PM me if you would be of interest.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Pics or its not true. :biggrin:

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1373989860316[1].jpg
    ResizedImage_1373989860316[1].jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 8

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The photo looks good but I doubt that it is really worth what they are asking.

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Charley12 said:
10,500 sounds high to me unless its an original V8 car that is matching numbers. My dad and I restore mustangs, we have a 67 that is for sale. Its a 6cyl car that is a 6.5-7 out of 10. It is 1 of 2 made ( have documents to prove) we deliver and everything. PM me if you would be of interest.

I didn't check numbers but that's something to look for. Its a straight six. I'm guessing not too different from the one I had in my '79 Mustang.

Charley12

Mar 23, 2013
Mark20 said:
I didn't check numbers but that's something to look for. Its a straight six. I'm guessing not too different from the one I had in my '79 Mustang.

Nope not different at all!! If that car was a 9 out of 10 it might be worth 10k. I gave my dad your number, he is going to get ahold of you!

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Charley12 said:
Nope not different at all!! If that car was a 9 out of 10 it might be worth 10k. I gave my dad your number, he is going to get ahold of you!

Just on looks its easily 7 or 8 out of 10. I had to remind my son that body assembly was not as precise as today. The question is; how does it run?

My son was amazed you could see ground through the engine compartment. No digital or emissions control in there!

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Finally had a chance to drive it. With gas in the tank it started right up. Took a minute to smooth out and away we went. A lot of power! Engine sounded great, tranny shifted fine. I was expecting to hear some nasty thunking and have a lot of play in the steering but no. Some body squeaking though. My son was loving every minute of it. He wants that car!

Definitely repainted. I didn't pull back liners and carpets to see what inside panels look like but I do know the right rear light assembly was replaced, you could see the splices and the original was in the trunk.

I've got some serious thinking to do. If their marketing wasn't so poor...

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Mark20 said:
Finally had a chance to drive it. With gas in the tank it started right up. Took a minute to smooth out and away we went. A lot of power! Engine sounded great, tranny shifted fine. I was expecting to hear some nasty thunking and have a lot of play in the steering but no. Some body squeaking though. My son was loving every minute of it. He wants that car!

Definitely repainted. I didn't pull back liners and carpets to see what inside panels look like but I do know the right rear light assembly was replaced, you could see the splices and the original was in the trunk.

I've got some serious thinking to do. If their marketing wasn't so poor...

With their marketing so poor you can probably talk them down. Especially if you take a closer look at things.

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I'd like to get it to my mechanic, but will they let me take it to PA (its in NJ though only about 17 miles from home/mechanic)? And there are other things we want to do on the house.

Sigh... Why did my wife have to drive that road?

Now if the price was $5K, I'd be cashing out some stock and grabbing it.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I hear you there. That is a big price difference.

It would not hurt to ask them if you can take it those few miles to your mechanic.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
For that money...they should either take it for you or let you take it to the mechanic. No reason that for 10 grand you should not be able to have a pro look it over.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online