Should I keep my gmc logo silver OR paint it black?? Any ideas?

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ad6d9ad1-1642-3d3c.jpg

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I need to repaint it again anyhow due to some chipping.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
I like the silver

06envoydenali

Dec 5, 2011
it depends on what else you have done to the truck.. if you have tinted out windows and black rims id go black if you have just tinted window id stay silver but if you have the rims id go black

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I say keep it silver. Somethin different... I need to repaint my crossbar too, stupid paint chips :hissyfit:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i say silver too... do you have another pic though, of the full truck.. so we can see what direction your going in... judging just from your grill shot, i say keep it silver... but as stated earlier.. any other black parts on the truck?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Boricua SS said:
i say silver too... do you have another pic though, of the full truck.. so we can see what direction your going in... judging just from your grill shot, i say keep it silver... but as stated earlier.. any other black parts on the truck?

barron03 said:

TexazReece said:
Silver but as stated what flows better with voy

:iagree: also

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It looks to be a couple shades off of the stock silver or I would really like it. If you can get the color matched to stock paint it would be really nice and subtle.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Well I went ahead and did a quick edit of your first photo and made the emblem black for you so you get an idea of how it would look, this is what I did with my truck before I did mine and got a good idea of how it looks. Sorry I couldnt do the second picture, it came out too small and hard to edit that small emblem from that distance and hope the edit doesn't look too bad. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Attachments

• ad6d9ad1-1642-3d3c.jpg
    ad6d9ad1-1642-3d3c.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 76

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Well I went ahead and did a quick edit of your first photo and made the emblem black for you so you get an idea of how it would look, this is what I did with my truck before I did mine and got a good idea of how it looks. Sorry I couldnt do the second picture, it came out too small and hard to edit that small emblem from that distance and hope the edit doesn't look too bad. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Thanks man!! Ur editing looks good HOWEVER I definately won't be painting it black. Thanks to u no trial and error. Keepin it silver. And hardtrailz, in no way on gods green earth am I spending $90 for rattle can paint that is mixed at the automotive paint store. (They will only do 3 no less:mad:) This color maybe off a shade but is good enuf for me. It would be sweet to get a dead on match but there is more things I could do to the truck (transfer case fluid and diffs) for $90.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
silvernclean said:
Thanks man!! Ur editing looks good HOWEVER I definately won't be painting it black. Thanks to u no trial and error. Keepin it silver. And hardtrailz, in no way on gods green earth am I spending $90 for rattle can paint that is mixed at the automotive paint store. (They will only do 3 no less:mad:) This color maybe off a shade but is good enuf for me. It would be sweet to get a dead on match but there is more things I could do to the truck (transfer case fluid and diffs) for $90.

And if you did, we would beat you down with busted ignition switches, dropped in gym socks. :nono: The smart thing to do would be to do some research, or ask some other members who have gotten color matched paint, to find out that some sites like AutomotiveTouchup.com will give you a 12oz can for about $20 :biggrin: :thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I was thinking to try a couple cheaper brands and see if any of them are closer match

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ahh. True true. I used duplicolor. (I wasn't being shitty or anything on my prev. post btw)

suburbs

Jan 6, 2012
Like the way it is, especially if you factory matched to existing color.

Also think it would look awesome if you powder coated the rims to match the brushed nickel color. Would make your truck a moving advertisement for Delta faucets.

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
suburbs said:
Like the way it is, especially if you factory matched to existing color.

Also think it would look awesome if you powder coated the rims to match the brushed nickel color. Would make your truck a moving advertisement for Delta faucets.

How much is it to powder coat??(I mean would it be worth it or cheaper buying ss wheels) my chrome is peeling due to being my only wheels. (Salt).

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
silvernclean said:
How much is it to powder coat??(I mean would it be worth it or cheaper buying ss wheels) my chrome is peeling due to being my only wheels. (Salt).

powder coating is pretty expensive!! But I think it would come out cheaper then to do SS rims! Now if you get 20' SS rims they will run you a average with tires about $800-$1000 from what I see with many, also depends on the tires you get and if they come with tires etc. Just the rims themselves can run you from $400-$600 for all. But if you do 22" then of course your looking to add another $200-$300 to your price for the rims!

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well I have 20's and my tires are almost new so that's not an issue. My wife would prolly be pissed if I even mention new wheels for my voy, since I just bought my lowering kit. Lol. But if I did get new wheels i'd def. do 20" ss wheels.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
silvernclean said:
Well I have 20's and my tires are almost new so that's not an issue. My wife would prolly be pissed if I even mention new wheels for my voy, since I just bought my lowering kit. Lol. But if I did get new wheels i'd def. do 20" ss wheels.

Yeah 20" look the best IMO! Nice and clean :yes:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I'm just throwin this out there.. since its hard to match the paint from a rattle can.. have you thought about contacting Jeff (High Voltage) and looking at some vinyl options.. or what we would call "inlays" of your GMC logo?.. justa thought..

And powder coating rims isn't as expensive as one would think.. I was quoted $40 a rim for my SS.. that's not too bad IMO...

But yea, your pic seals the deal.. definetly leave the logo silver...

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
I'm just throwin this out there.. since its hard to match the paint from a rattle can.. have you thought about contacting Jeff (High Voltage) and looking at some vinyl options.. or what we would call "inlays" of your GMC logo?.. justa thought..

And powder coating rims isn't as expensive as one would think.. I was quoted $40 a rim for my SS.. that's not too bad IMO...

But yea, your pic seals the deal.. definetly leave the logo silver...

Thanks man....I ordered some decals from him but didn't think about inlays. But where do u go to get wheels powder coated?? And at that price not bad at all. Now I think all black on my wheels would look pretty sweet!!

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
silvernclean said:
Thanks man....I ordered some decals from him but didn't think about inlays. But where do u go to get wheels powder coated?? And at that price not bad at all. Now I think all black on my wheels would look pretty sweet!!

Local shops around us here... any place that powder coats really... there is a local guy here in cleveland for us.. I just can't figure out what I wanna do.. either chrome rims or gun metal grey powder coat (which everyone does, so I wanna be different, but it looks so damn good on imperial blue metalic paint lol)

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Boricua SS said:
Local shops around us here... any place that powder coats really... there is a local guy here in cleveland for us.. I just can't figure out what I wanna do.. either chrome rims or gun metal grey powder coat (which everyone does, so I wanna be different, but it looks so damn good on imperial blue metalic paint lol)

Ok now I am very interested in the powder coat idear. Would they powder coat right on top of the chrome??

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
silvernclean said:
Ok now I am very interested in the powder coat idear. Would they powder coat right on top of the chrome??

See, that's what I'm unsure of.. because I have clear coated polished aluminum, they just strip I down, and go from there... but in the chrome dept, I'm just not sure about the process... I know that some prep will be involved to make sure the charge holds.. but I'm not a powder coating expert.. my friend did it to his TB LT wheels.. so I'll ask him the process for ya :thumbsup:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
What color you think you wanna do if you powder coat them? I say gunmetal :yes: cannot go wrong with gunmetal and the color of your truck :thumbsup:

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Hey thanks...but looks like chrome is not a very good substrate for powder coat. Maybe I'll give em a call.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
silvernclean said:

Thats what I would like to do to my stocks..........powdercoat them a charcoal grey
View attachment 18590

Attachments

• IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 8

jrSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
And YES they can powder coat on chrome. The chrome has to be in good shape...otherwise when chrome peels the powder coat will peel right with it. I got an estimate of $100 per wheel. Kinda expensive but a whole hell of a lot cheaper than buying new wheels. :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online