Safe depth for crossing water

wstuckey1

Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Seeing all the news from this hurricane is making me wonder, what is the safe depth for driving a trailblazer through water. I understand that it will be different based on height of truck from lift/tires but what is the lowest part that shouldn't go underwater?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
DSC_2248.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Might be just a little too much:

vehicle-in-flood-water-jpg.85349

In all seriousness, I'd keep below floor level because any water that comes in will kill your BCM, which will mean dead in the water.

wstuckey1

Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
What about driving down a flooded road, where I may be in water for some time. Or is the answer still "send it"?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Best not to drive down flooded roads as the roadway may be washed out underneath the water. Not saying not drive down a road that has a little water over it, as long as you can see the bottom (I mean come on its a large puddle at that point) but if you cannot see the road underneath, don't do it. Might end up in a deep sink hole.

wstuckey1

Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Best not to drive down flooded roads as the roadway may be washed out underneath the water. Not saying not drive down a road that has a little water over it, as long as you can see the bottom (I mean come on its a large puddle at that point) but if you cannot see the road underneath, don't do it. Might end up in a deep sink hole.
Sounds good. Thank you.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Generally if it's below the intake you're okay. But how you feel about soaked floors is on you...

Also agree with avoiding sketchy, possibly washed out roads.

Reactions: wstuckey1

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
...and no matter how shallow... if the water is moving... it is unsafe to cross any thoroughfare as water weighs 64 Lbs per Cubic Foot ...and when moving even a seemingly slow velocity... the stuff can easily get slippery purchase underneath the small footprints of rolling tires (and pedestrians) and sweep vehicles and people aside like they are weightless. Once the vehicle is lifted even slightly... steering and braking becomes quite impossible:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hahaha! A snorkel don't make you a submarine!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Also pay attention to getting a wake pushed in front of you if you have to go thru deeper stuff than the intake.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
This was ok20180823_131932.jpg

and this was ok
DSC_3603_zpsf38be92d.jpg

until it wasn't
client_PART_1526013565347_FB_IMG_1512352111277.jpg
As Kyle said, the most important thing is to keep the bow wake in front of you. If not be ready to shut it down fast. If not, the water will kill everything. This is how my truck finally earned a name. Meet Lazarus, because he died and was resurrected.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online