Safe depth for crossing water

wstuckey1

Seeing all the news from this hurricane is making me wonder, what is the safe depth for driving a trailblazer through water. I understand that it will be different based on height of truck from lift/tires but what is the lowest part that shouldn't go underwater?

Might be just a little too much:

In all seriousness, I'd keep below floor level because any water that comes in will kill your BCM, which will mean dead in the water.

OP
OP
wstuckey1

wstuckey1

What about driving down a flooded road, where I may be in water for some time. Or is the answer still "send it"?

Best not to drive down flooded roads as the roadway may be washed out underneath the water. Not saying not drive down a road that has a little water over it, as long as you can see the bottom (I mean come on its a large puddle at that point) but if you cannot see the road underneath, don't do it. Might end up in a deep sink hole.

OP
OP
wstuckey1

wstuckey1

Best not to drive down flooded roads as the roadway may be washed out underneath the water. Not saying not drive down a road that has a little water over it, as long as you can see the bottom (I mean come on its a large puddle at that point) but if you cannot see the road underneath, don't do it. Might end up in a deep sink hole.
Sounds good. Thank you.

Mounce

Silver Supporter
Generally if it's below the intake you're okay. But how you feel about soaked floors is on you...

Also agree with avoiding sketchy, possibly washed out roads.

MRRSM

Lifetime VIP Supporter
...and no matter how shallow... if the water is moving... it is unsafe to cross any thoroughfare as water weighs 64 Lbs per Cubic Foot ...and when moving even a seemingly slow velocity... the stuff can easily get slippery purchase underneath the small footprints of rolling tires (and pedestrians) and sweep vehicles and people aside like they are weightless. Once the vehicle is lifted even slightly... steering and braking becomes quite impossible:

Members online

Top Bottom