Roof Rack and thule box

TrailblazerLT

Original poster
Member
Jan 22, 2012
63
So here is my situation guys. During the winter months I have a Thule snowboard carrier that I attach to my factory load bars and it works just great. My problem however is come September my girlfriend and I go camping at Hermit Island in Maine for a week so we have to bring a lot of stuff with us. So I found a need for a Thule box added to my roof rack because we can only have one vehicle at the campsite and there is 4 of us so that means double everything crammed somehow into my TB plus 4 people! Trust me its difficult but some how we make it work.

Last year we put a lot of stuff in the Thule box which I borrowed from my buddy who usually has it on his 07 Tahoe. Loaded up the box has a max load weight of about 125LBS which isn't a problem but last year I noticed quite a bit of flex in the cross bars but I know the max weight was still under but I don't like the way the box bounces on the bars.

This year I am trying to avoid the flex and instead of spending $400 bucks on Thule bars which is something I only need once a year what do you guys think about making the load bars a little stiffer by either adding wood or pipe or something to the under side of crossbars?? I am thinking by doing this it will cut down on the flex in the bars making them more stable but at the same time I am worried it might cause extra pressure on some other point of the rack that isn't meant to take the pressure.

What do you guys think???? Any help is appreciated!! :smile:
 

Lima Tango

Member
Dec 4, 2011
242
A lot of people take them off for looks/wind noise reduction; you may be able to get a pair from someone on here for the cost of shipping and spread the load over 4 bars instead of two.
 

TrailblazerLT

Original poster
Member
Jan 22, 2012
63
Lima Tango said:
A lot of people take them off for looks/wind noise reduction; you may be able to get a pair from someone on here for the cost of shipping and spread the load over 4 bars instead of two.

That is a really good idea! Do you think it would be better to group them or space them evenly under the box. I added a picture just to show how big the box is. It doesn't look nearly as crazy on the tahoe lol
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20110907_165522.jpg
    IMG_20110907_165522.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 13

Lima Tango

Member
Dec 4, 2011
242
TrailblazerLT said:
That is a really good idea! Do you think it would be better to group them or space them evenly under the box. I added a picture just to show how big the box is. It doesn't look nearly as crazy on the tahoe lol

Personally I would do two and two, with the pairs strapped together as best you can for strength. I think I remember from the movie "3 Ninjas" that one is weak but many together is strong. You could try all four at even intervals first and try it to see if it works too, wouldn't cost anything but a little time so might as well.

I know I have seen them offered for free or relatively cheap on here before, so might have to be patient a bit but should be doable.
 

TrailblazerLT

Original poster
Member
Jan 22, 2012
63
Lima Tango said:
Personally I would do two and two, with the pairs strapped together as best you can for strength. I think I remember from the movie "3 Ninjas" that one is weak but many together is strong. You could try all four at even intervals first and try it to see if it works too, wouldn't cost anything but a little time so might as well.

I know I have seen them offered for free or relatively cheap on here before, so might have to be patient a bit but should be doable.

When you say strapped together do you mean one on top if the other? Or side by side? I was thinking more like side by side strapped together?
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Us offroad guys that run baskets and tires up top...lots of weight...usually just ditch the stock bars and use some 1 inch square alum tubing available at any home improvement store. Simple cheap and strong. Several write-up floating around on how guys did it.
 

TrailblazerLT

Original poster
Member
Jan 22, 2012
63
HARDTRAILZ said:
Us offroad guys that run baskets and tires up top...lots of weight...usually just ditch the stock bars and use some 1 inch square alum tubing available at any home improvement store. Simple cheap and strong. Several write-up floating around on how guys did it.

Ill take a look! Thanks!
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,236
Posts
637,132
Members
18,404
Latest member
Zoie

Members Online