Rocker panel life extension / rust prevention

TobyU

Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
SW Ohio
Hello all.
Picked up a really clean southern Escalade that the underneath looks like a 3-4 year old northern rust belt vehicle.
Haven't owned a full size GM SUV ...but know the rockers love to go first.
What's the theories on adding more life to them?
Fluid Film, Woolwax, Corrosion Free Rust Cure 3000 all look good.
Just wondering if there are any convenient holes to get into to spray the insides.

Thanks for any ideas and opinions.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think the secret to preventing rusting rockers is to have them oil sprayed inside them. Most oil spray shops know the access points and drill some if needed. The other would be to prevent rock chips and snow/salt from being slung unto them with wheel mud guards and running boards. Do not use tar type undercoatings which actually make it worse. Oil spray the entire underside and rocker interiors each year.

TobyU

Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
SW Ohio
@Mooseman Thanks. I think that is most common methods. The undercoating whether tar or rubberized seems to be hit or miss.
I think IF you get it done on a new one or one with not rust already forming, then it is a benefit but after the fact it is mostly cosmetic look good cover-up.
I do think there is a lot to a chip in undercoating allowing water to puddle and pool and then start a rust spread whereas regular oil type sprays will not give a pocket and will recover on future applications.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
This guy has a lot of experience with rust.

Definitely not going that route and I have seen it myself years ago.

TobyU

Original poster
Oct 31, 2019
SW Ohio
Yes but I have seen 20-25 year old vehicles that were factory or when new undercoated and they looked like a 2 year old vehicle underneath. It works sometimes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online