32.8 KB · Views: 30

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Much mo betta!! :thumbsup:

D-V_Envoy

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Both wife and I hear no audible different while driving.
From outside, I bet there is--as others have stated--but for me it was to achieve a cleaner profile.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Much better!! Nice :yes:

D-V_Envoy

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
CdnGMan said:
That's kinda surprising, since I've heard that there is more of a drone without the res... :confused:

Yep, I jumped on highway and got right on it without radio on and once settled at 65mph asked the wife what she thought -- "Doesn't sound different to me." I said, "Me either." :smile: Now at hard throttle I could tell a little different, but no dif to me in the cab on the road @ 65.
We still have the big old stock muffle on there. Which BTW--the muffle guy said looked GREAT from the outside.
He had quoted me $50, but after he finished up asked if $38 was good? Of course I agreed. :biggrin:

YOUNG

Dec 4, 2011
CdnGMan said:
That's kinda surprising, since I've heard that there is more of a drone without the res... :confused:

I have also read that there is a drone at speeds of about 50-60 mph.. that would be the only thing that i wouldnt like.

EDIT: nevermind, i guess we posted at the same time.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I wonder if the bend in the pipe vs a straight pipe like some people use makes any difference in drone (or lack of)?

I still need to get rid of mine, just haven't gotten around to it.

D-V_Envoy

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Sparky said:
I wonder if the bend in the pipe vs a straight pipe like some people use makes any difference in drone (or lack of)?

I still need to get rid of mine, just haven't gotten around to it.

Well not sure about the bend and sound, but maybe? All I know it passed the "wife test." LOL
Yeah I had put it off for awhile as well. I had the day off and we were doing some running around, so figured I'd just take the opportunity.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Congrats! Looks really good.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
CdnGMan said:

YOUNG said:
I have also read that there is a drone at speeds of about 50-60 mph.. that would be the only thing that i wouldnt like.

EDIT: nevermind, i guess we posted at the same time.

Coming out the side seems to not have that much of a drone compared to the normal 18" or so pipe coming straight out the back.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Nice, I never got the chance to cut the resonator off my 02 because I went straight to a catback.

Interesting to hear the bend might cut down on some of the drone...:undecided:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I don't think having a bend or straight pipe makes a difference in drone. When we cut my resonator off, the only real difference we heard was with the initial start up. At idle or revving the engine, maybe a small difference when standing at the back of the truck. Inside the cabin, it sounds exactly the same as before. :twocents:

mika

Dec 6, 2011
Yes it looks alot cleaner, if you ask me they should have sold them this way. I follow som TB's and Envoys sometimes that still have the can.. WOW! I am sure happy that when I bought my TB a couple a years ago the was already missing, I just welded a 3" 16gauge brushed stainless straight pipe to mine and like it alot.
:twocents::smile:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I did notice a slight difference from just cutting off to actually having it piped out from under vehicle. I do get a little drone occasionally now with my smaller muffler, but just doing the resonator never really droned to the point of wanting to change it.

GR8SLT

Dec 5, 2011
I replaced the resonator with a straight tailpipe but the drone was really annoying at cruising speed on the highway so I put this resonator in front of the stainless tail. There is still a drone but at my normal cruising speed it isn't too bad.

Attachments

• envoytail.jpg
    envoytail.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 26

Jakers

Dec 4, 2011
Rockton, Il
Mine is done with a 45 out the side and a 2.5" SS tip. It is noticeable while driving, even at idle it's notably louder. But, I did this the same time my cat was plugged so it was a huge change in sound (and my TB revs over 4k now)

BOOMERZ

Dec 5, 2011
I was wondering do all 02 TB have the resonator on the back?? I looked under mine when i was changing the rear endlinks and fixing the tire winch and i dont have one on the back and its all factory exhaust ......

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If you don't have a resonator trash can hanging behind the rear axle, then you don't have 100% factory exhaust. Someone must have lopped yours off already, so you have 99% factory exhaust :wink:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I want to cut mine off, but am a little concerned of the drone. I find even with the stock exhaust, there is an annoying drove at about 55mph. Its fine at 60, but at 55 it seems the overdrive wants to keep the RPM too low and just hums.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
SBUBandit said:
I want to cut mine off, but am a little concerned of the drone. I find even with the stock exhaust, there is an annoying drove at about 55mph. Its fine at 60, but at 55 it seems the overdrive wants to keep the RPM too low and just hums.

Just cut it off

Foz

Dec 4, 2011
Looks good D-V :thumbsup: i did mine last week and just ran straight pipe out the back. Theres really no drone at any speed that i can notice. Theres abit more growl in the I6 but even thats barely heard from the cabin. Truck just seems better without it all the way around!

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
djthumper said:
Just cut it off

I definitely would. The TB is technically my wife's, and I don't want to be under it in a month trying to put the can back on. I'll figure out some way though

TrailBlazn420

Dec 4, 2011
Now you just need to get a polished tip for it. Everyone knows, the polished tip is the most sensitive part of the exhaust system.:biggrin:

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
GR8SLT said:
I replaced the resonator with a straight tailpipe but the drone was really annoying at cruising speed on the highway so I put this resonator in front of the stainless tail. There is still a drone but at my normal cruising speed it isn't too bad.

Where did you get that res? Thank you! Also a little weary about doing this.....:undecided:

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
had mine cut off about a year ago. Can't exactly remember but i think i had them put on one of the flowmaster mufflers as well...at the time, it was different and had some good growl to it. After about a year with it though, honestly, i'm over it. The drone is driving me crazy. Not nearly as bad as some of these rice burners runnin around with coffee cans welded on the back, but drone nonetheless. Just went back to that shop and had a new res put on, and it helped some, but not enough in my opinion. If you are considering doing this i would advise to think carefully about it. Maybe if you leave the stock muffler you won't have any issues. I'm gonna go back by there and explore more options, maybe even putting on a different muffler, i'll try to update. I agree the factory res looks huge and very out-of-place under there, but the cheapest option may be to just buy some high temp engine paint for a few bucks and paint that sucker black . Just my :twocents:

View attachment 21326

I do like the tip i put on there though, black chrome (dirty)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 18

Tarnished

Dec 3, 2011
No real need to change out the stock muffler; they are amazingly free-flowing and straight through from the factory. With the added bonus of good sound deadening. A new muffler does nothing for us in terms of performance increases.
Cutting the stock resonator off however, is a really nice aesthetic enhancement.. and for most, doesn't increase any drone or noise levels enough to be noticeable.
Cut the resonator off.. but leave the stock muffler. Most of the people I know with droning problems used an aftermarket muffler, (usually those crazy V8 performance mufflers) along with a resonator delete.

ksimm92

Apr 28, 2012
I have the I6, removed the stock muffler and resonator. i had a flowmaster super 44 single in single out welded on and a straight pipe with a chrome tip put on the back. It is UNBELIEVABLY loud. I didnt really mind it at first, but after 4+ years I am about ready to put my 4lbs engineers hammer threw it. I absolutely do not recommend putting a muffle like this on your I6.:twocents: It is LOUD and not even the tone i was going after, it sounds like a ricer only slightly deeper.

I will be changing it very soon, I'm considering going back to the stock muffler and keeping the pipe & tip in the back. Or I have heard from another member here (I forget who now) that hooker areo chamber mufflers dont have that ricer tune to it, but rather its more of a deeper slight rumble with little to none drone on the highway. :yes:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Tarnished said:
No real need to change out the stock muffler; they are amazingly free-flowing and straight through from the factory. With the added bonus of good sound deadening. A new muffler does nothing for us in terms of performance increases.
Cutting the stock resonator off however, is a really nice aesthetic enhancement.. and for most, doesn't increase any drone or noise levels enough to be noticeable.
Cut the resonator off.. but leave the stock muffler. Most of the people I know with droning problems used an aftermarket muffler, (usually those crazy V8 performance mufflers) along with a resonator delete.

I felt like the aftermarket muffler was an improvement over stock. Bit of mpg and felt like it had a bit more get up n go off the line.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online