Replaced the Trailblazer with a Silverado

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
2024 Silverado 1500 with the Duramax and Max Trailering, 220 amp alternator, 4wd. It's a lot more truck than I am used to, and most days will be way more truck than I need, but I am excited to pull some big stuff camping.

I'm definitely sentimental about the Trailblazer, in 17 years I've spent a lot of time behind the wheel and under the hood. But no amount of maintenance or modification is going to get the old thing to 13000 lbs towing capacity.

1720959157752.png

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

• Love
Reactions: Redbeard and 6716

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the 3.0L club. You'll love the mileage. I have to previous LM2 version rated to 9k and it pulls our 7k trailer great with 16 MPG.

Do yourself a favour and get a cap for the diesel. It's a reminder to put diesel and keeps dirt out.

Reactions: 6716

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Do yourself a favour and get a cap for the diesel. It's a reminder to put diesel and keeps dirt out.

Good tip, just ordered. Back in the day one of the guys at the place I was working put gas in a diesel. Business owner was not happy.

Mileage should be nice, though with the 3.73 gearing for 13000 pound capacity not quite as good as the 3.42.

The dream is to pull something closer to a tiny house than a travel trailer. We'll see how that develops.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And I just watched a couple teardowns of these. One was a lack of oil pressure for the cam chain tensioner smacking all the valves, the other melted down after getting a dose of gasoline. Look for the YT channel called "I do cars" to watch them.

Do keep an eye on the oil level. Some do have a tendency to burn more. Mine is pretty good.

And, if you hate the auto stop-start, do yourself a favour and get the Auto Stop-Start Eliminator. Best $100 I ever spent even though you can turn it off at each start with the switch.

Reactions: 6716 and xavierny25

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
I heard these engines consume some oil, thanks for the reminder. I don't hate the auto-stop, at least not yet.

The one thing I am surprised about is the lack of 12v outlets in the cab. I am looking at fuse taps there to run an accessory or two.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ah yes, heard they were dropped in later years. My 2021 still has two. I know they're antiquated and sometimes unreliable but the industry hasn't come up with anything better. I'd complain to the dealership and make them install them. Too bad you didn't notice this before taking possession.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonu

Members Online