Rear defrost and wiper not working

haight2000

Original poster
Member
Nov 27, 2012
2
A few weeks ago my rear wiper wa working on and off. I replaced to switch, and it worked perfect for a about a week. Then the rear defrost and wiper stopped completely. After hours of research on the internet, I removed the boot at the top of the liftgate and found a slightly irregular/burnt looking ground. Should I replace the whole thing, or just fix the wire? I know it might be a simple thing, but I don't want to screw it up. I can't afford to take it to anyone to be repaired. What parts do I need? Here is a picture. Is this the problem? I don't think it is the same issue, but the rear heat blows cold only too.View attachment 24160 Any help is appreciated. :smile:
 

Attachments

  • WP_000399.jpg
    WP_000399.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 17
Feb 24, 2012
133
haight2000 said:
A few weeks ago my rear wiper wa working on and off. I replaced to switch, and it worked perfect for a about a week. Then the rear defrost and wiper stopped completely. After hours of research on the internet, I removed the boot at the top of the liftgate and found a slightly irregular/burnt looking ground. Should I replace the whole thing, or just fix the wire? I know it might be a simple thing, but I don't want to screw it up. I can't afford to take it to anyone to be repaired. What parts do I need? Here is a picture. Is this the problem? I don't think it is the same issue, but the rear heat blows cold only too.
...
Any help is appreciated. :smile:


In my Yukon the entire rear tailgate (lock, wiper, defrost) started working correctly after I added my own improved ground wire. I ran a 12 gauge wire with ring terminals from the body side of the hinge through the wire feed and around to the tailgate side of the hinge.

I was able to test whether this would work before I did it by running a jumper cable from a clean ground on the truck to a clean metal contact somewhere on the tailgate. If that resolves your issues, then you just need a better ground wire!
 
Feb 24, 2012
133
Trying to attach a picture of my added wire. You can almost see where I attached it under the bolt on the tailgate side of the hinge. The body side of the hinge was a little tougher to get at, I had to remove the trim around the rear opening.

View attachment 24169

I used a ring terminal on both ends of the wire. I crimped to the ring and attached it to the body hinge bolt, then fed the wire through the opening and poked it through the rubber sleeve (as pictured), then crimped on the other ring terminal and put it through the tailgate bolt.

My rear wiper had been freaking out badly, sometimes working sometimes not, sometimes getting stuck in the middle of the window, sometimes not shutting off... until I added this ground. Now the rear wiper will cut your hand off if you get in the way, and it follows the switch instructions precisely.
 

Attachments

  • rear-ground.jpg
    rear-ground.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 36

haight2000

Original poster
Member
Nov 27, 2012
2
deekster_caddy said:
Trying to attach a picture of my added wire. You can almost see where I attached it under the bolt on the tailgate side of the hinge. The body side of the hinge was a little tougher to get at, I had to remove the trim around the rear opening.

View attachment 10862

I used a ring terminal on both ends of the wire. I crimped to the ring and attached it to the body hinge bolt, then fed the wire through the opening and poked it through the rubber sleeve (as pictured), then crimped on the other ring terminal and put it through the tailgate bolt.

My rear wiper had been freaking out badly, sometimes working sometimes not, sometimes getting stuck in the middle of the window, sometimes not shutting off... until I added this ground. Now the rear wiper will cut your hand off if you get in the way, and it follows the switch instructions precisely.

Pictures are great! It did work this morning after I was messing with it, so I am thrilled to find the location! Now to find the time to fix it when it is light out and not raining. (no garage)
 
Feb 24, 2012
133
haight2000 said:
Pictures are great! It did work this morning after I was messing with it, so I am thrilled to find the location! Now to find the time to fix it when it is light out and not raining. (no garage)

Good luck! Report back how it worked out.
 

Osseohoops

Member
Dec 30, 2012
1
haight2000 said:
Pictures are great! It did work this morning after I was messing with it, so I am thrilled to find the location! Now to find the time to fix it when it is light out and not raining. (no garage)

Under the rubber cover what did you connect your ground to? I have a purple wire that is hot, but nothing to the rear defrost?
 

mrphoenix80

Member
Jan 1, 2013
251
The black is your ground most likely for evey thing including the rear defrost. I just cut the wire on both sides of the connector and use a crimpon butt connector to reconnect it in these cases.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,307
Posts
637,746
Members
18,509
Latest member
Napalm

Members Online