Rattling in the front suspension

Petey

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
I have a suspension rattle when I hit some bumps. I think I can feel it in the floor too. Yeah I know I could be anything.

Firestone just told me that my upper left BJ has some play but upon my inspection I think its an inner tie-rod end (BJ only has 20K on it). When the steering wheel is jiggled no visible play in the bJ but I hear clicking on the tie-rod with no play on the outer. (I just have not had a chance yet to get it up on a jack to fully investigate). I also know it it needs struts too.

Left lower control arm and mount is a year old.
Both right tie-rod ends have been replaced <30k
Outer Left tie-rod <30K
both end links <50K
Swaybar mount bushings have been done at some point
Both upper BJ's one 20K the other 7K

Whats the easy way to check the upper control arm bushings? Can the lose tie-rod end show these symptoms?

I just want to replace whatever it could be when I have it apart for the struts.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Double check that the end links are tight, they're the most common cause of bump rattles.

Reactions: snoozer

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Whats the easy way to check the upper control arm bushings? Can the lose tie-rod end show these symptoms?

It's mostly visual. Look for obvious rubber sticking out and degradation. Check for play. If the arm is disconnected from the ball joint, swing it up and down. If it rotates easily, it's separated from the casings. It may even squeak or make rubbing noises. Eventually will wear through the rubber and cause play.

snoozer

May 15, 2017
Home
What Matt said.
Every time mine gets to rattling really bad it ends up being the sway bar links are loose, torque them back down & it is good to go for awhile until they loosen up.
I can no longer work on my own vehicle, but next time they come loose I am going to stand there & make sure the shop uses some Loctite Blue on the threads with hopes they will stay torqued down. The links are less then 2 years old, but won't stay tight.
Sounds like the whole front end is going to fall apart.

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check (or have checked by the shop) that the holes for the links haven't egged out, which is why they work loose. Use red Loctite and torque them to holy hell.

snoozer

May 15, 2017
Home
Check (or have checked by the shop) that the holes for the links haven't egged out, which is why they work loose. Use red Loctite and torque them to holy hell.
That's what I plan on doing next time I take it in. I am hoping the holes aren't to out of round.
They said they really torqued them down the last time, but if you don't watch them who knows what they do. Sucks when you got to rely on others to do stuff you know how to do.

Why do these links come loose like they do?
I have done new links on other vehicles I owned in the past, you put them on & no more problems.
I have no idea what brand they are I didn't replace them 2 years ago.

Is there room to double nut the links?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When I got my first TB, the previous owner (or whoever) didn't do it right and the holes got egged out. No matter how tight I put them, they would get loose. I wound up having to weld a thick washer to the hole and add a washer to the back of the stud. I think that's where some links failed is because there was just a not so wide piece on the stud (first pic) and others had a washer (second pic), including the OEM.

Oddly enough, ACDelco Advantage have the washer but the Pro doesn't.

782_K6665__ra_p.jpg

GK6665_FRO__ra_p.jpg

I use a breaker bar to torque them on.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Like others mentioned, loose end links cause this all the time. I've narrowed it down to which side sometimes by driving one side slowly over a speed bump. I had a recent inspection, and had to put a new end link on so installed it before the inspection. Used blue loctite and no torque wrench. I use a 5 lb hammer and tighten them as tight as I can get them that way. I almost always tighten my bolts to torque, but not those end links because I've had them loosen up. And looked over the other side as well. 3 days later when inspected was told my end links are loose and need tightened! So next time it's red loctite for me, even if it means using the hot wrench to remove them. (which living in the rust belt is the usual way)

Reactions: snoozer

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online