RAP not shutting off

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
This has been happening once in a while for the past month. After I shut down the vehicle and open the doors the retained accessory power does not turn off. Anyone else have this issue...or know of a solution? Thanks.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
tbuckalew14 said:
This has been happening once in a while for the past month. After I shut down the vehicle and open the doors the retained accessory power does not turn off. Anyone else have this issue...or know of a solution? Thanks.

Does it happen only on one door?
The DDM and PDM are responsible for sending door open signals through the Data line to the BCM.

Also could be just about any other module talking trash on the Data line or just grounding it.

Do you have any other "problems"?

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Usually, the problem can be traced to a faulty "door open" switch. I believe it is mounted on the door opening mech inside the door and behind the outside handle

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Swap the passenger side window switch assembly (with the module attached) with the drivers side and check it out. If it works, you need a drivers door module. Look for a used one, the new ones need to be married to the car (dealership)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do you happen to have an aftermarket radio with a GMOS adapter? I had two fail like that.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
tbuckalew14 said:
thanks for the suggestions. Stayed on once last night...opened the passenger door and went off right away.

That is conclusive, IMO you have narrowed it down to the DDM or the switch that detects the door is open and sends its signal to the DDM.

You may resolve a sticky switch by lubricating and excercising the door latch.

Check all your wiring connections inside the door to the DDM and door switch first, just might fix it.
On some occasions the wiring through the door jamb gets damaged from flexing and can be hard to spot.

If it is the DDM, you should have other symptoms such as loss of window control (front passenger and both rear) when the problem occurs.

Try this the next time you open the door and RAP stays on, Try to operate the front passenger door window.
Window works = bad connection to switch or bad switch in door.
Windows does not work = bad connection to DDM or bad DDM.
operating switch triggers the RAP to go off = bad connection to DDM or bad DDM.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
BRomanJr said:
If it is the DDM, you should have other symptoms such as loss of window control (front passenger and both rear) when the problem occurs.
Agreed, however, he has not reported any other problems.

BRomanJr said:
That is conclusive, IMO you have narrowed it down to the DDM or the switch that detects the door is open and sends its signal to the DDM.
I think we can agree, he has it narrowed down to the problem being in, or connecting to, the driver's door.

As I said earlier, I suspect the problem is the door open switch. The switch is plugged into the DDM. Look for a brown wire and a gray wire with a black stripe. The switch should test open (resistance measurement) and short (zero resistance) when the handle is operated. If you do not get zero resistance reading, the switch needs to be replaced.

tbuckalew14

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Sorry for not getting back earlier...one of those looong work days today. Windows operate while the door is open. RAP shuts off every time as soon as I open the passenger door. I'll be away most of the weekend, but seems like it's just a bad switch as you guys have suggested. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how it works out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online