Proper procedure to check lower ball joints

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Before I have an alignment done, I want to make sure the LBJ's are ok. I cannot find movement but one shop said they did.

I have checked ball joints before but want to ask how ours are done. Do we let the suspension hang, lift the vehicle by the control arm or let it hang halfway? Large channel-locks or prybar? They won't budge for me.

tricguy007

Dec 7, 2011
Jack up under the control ARM and use a prybar under the tire and pull up

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The way I've seen government safety check shops check the LBJ is to lift the vehicle's front wheels an inch or two off the ground and use a long pry bar under the wheel and lifting the wheel with it, looking for movement in the joint. This method would depend on which way the steering knuckle exerts its force on the joint.

If the shop says there is movement, ask them to show you. I've done that lots of times and they would deduct the charge for the check from the overall fee for the alignment itself after I replaced the joint myself.

tricguy007

Dec 7, 2011
Simple rule to remember- if the spring is pressing on the top of the knuckle (like a standard front wheel drive car ) u jack it up by the body, if the spring is pressing on the lower control ARM (like most standard pickups or like our 360's) you jack it up by the lower control ARM

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Thanks, I must have had pressure on them somehow. Yeah....I'd say she needs a new set for sure :yes:, both sides are the same...kinda freaky actually.

Looks like my weekend plans have been updated.:undecided:

[video=youtube;zJlOVWP_35s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJlOVWP_35s[/video]

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86