Project Two Guns Continues

Blackwater

Original poster
Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
Update, I have bad news. The coupler and the tail shaft of the main trans mission are stripped. I plan on getting cryogenic treated parts from Midwest Transmissions. $600 in parts. But then instead of 475 lb-tq I can do 613 lb-tq. So it sits for now. On the other hand I went ahead and installed the new electric fans from Flex-a-lite. never gets hot now. Also installed front receiver hitch.

Blackwater

Original poster
Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
Been busy. Wife crashed her car last month and now wants the crew cab GMC Sierra I'm driving till we get her another one. She has been living in another state to help take care of her dying father. Unfortunately, the project truck has been down for over a year now. I gave in and used the money for the project to finance her now junked 2015 Cruze. We have to wait for the car to be paid off and clear the credit to buy her another one. So she asked me to use some of the money we were going to use to refinance her car to fix the project. So, after work I will be pulling the NV4500 MW3 out of it and send it to A&A transmissions in Yukon, OK. I went with them since they are the only ones I can find that was recommended for manuals. Plus, the street outlaws use them so I'm guessing they are good. $450 in labor for the work I need done. I'm providing the parts. I'm having the input, counter, and third gear sent to Midwest Transmissions in Zumbrota, MN to get cryoed and order an main shaft from them. $722 and 30% more strength. I'm adding a trans temp to the truck this weekend and prepping the new bell housing tomorrow. Ordered Energy suspension trans mount since it broke apart at the base. the rubber is still good. I have Installed the Electric Fans and larger two core radiator in it and as it set in triple digit temps this summer it never got past 195 degrees.IMG_4688.JPGimage2.jpeg

Blackwater

Original poster
Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
New energy suspension Tranny Mount cam in. The old one had a catastrophic failure to the base plate. New diff cover came in. I didn't like the design of the one I got before. Will be putting it up for sale. New bell housing for the NV4500 MW3. The old one had two of four bolt holes striped. The threads came off with the bolts. Temp gauge that matches my instrument cluster. Yesterday I finished up the wiring to the E-fans. I have a three position dash switch that can manually control the fans. Push it to the left and the fans are always off. Push it to the right and they are always on. The center is auto where the control module turns them on thermally. Have to get a new oil catch because my son drug it instead of carrying it. Oil everywhere. Then I will open the diff and inspect and put new cover on. On the transmission, I have removed it and found the input shaft where the piolet bushing sits is worn badly. So I have to get one of those too. so instead of $772 for those parts its $832. Son had a hard time helping me put in the back of the truck. Friend of mine asked me is that wise to keep it back there. I told him with the cover on the truck, lock on the tailgate, and it being 195 pounds dry, I don't think anyone will take it. Tomorrow, I will be dropping off the tranny to A&A transmissions in Yukon, OK before going to the VA for an appointment. Trans mount.jpegbell housing 2.jpegBell housing 1.jpegDiff cover2.jpegDiff cover1.jpegTrans temp.jpeg Going to order an new steering column soon since the U-join is bad. Cant find just the u-joint, go figure. That will be installed when I'm waiting on the tranny. I am also checking the piolet bushing and may change it to a bearing. As soon as I can get the transmission put in, I am going to install the new bushings for the sway bar in the front, courtesy of energy suspension.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Blackwater

Original poster
Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
Now the temp gauge will be used to monitor the temp in the transmission due to various forums saying they over heat. the sending unit will be in the left PTO cover and the right PTO cover will have a 3/8 NPT bung welded into it with a elbow and a valve. This will used as a drain and allow provisions for a filter and pump to be added and plumbed to the radiator or separate cooler to be cooled.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just be careful with aftermarket covers as they have been found to cause more heat. Check on YT for Banks Power for his videos on the subject. His last one is a summary of his videos but is basically an infomercial on his covers. There was also a thread started here a while ago on the subject.

Blackwater

Original poster
Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
Just be careful with aftermarket covers as they have been found to cause more heat. Check on YT for Banks Power for his videos on the subject. His last one is a summary of his videos but is basically an infomercial on his covers.
I have seen that video and others after I bought the G2 cover, which is flat. What I have learned was that the flat backed ones starve the pinion bearing of oil. The original cover was domed for that reason to use the ring gear to push the fluid using the diff cover and flowing it to the pinion bearing and gear. The one I bought is built domed like the stock one.

Blackwater

Original poster
Aug 14, 2015
Lawton, OK
I have seen that video and others after I bought the G2 cover, which is flat. What I have learned was that the flat backed ones starve the pinion bearing of oil. The original cover was domed for that reason to use the ring gear to push the fluid using the diff cover and flowing it to the pinion bearing and gear. The one I bought is built domed like the stock one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online