Power Steering Fluid, Driver's side

wormwood1978

Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
I noticed a considerable clear fluid leak this morning under my 2008 Trailblazer. 64K miles, with moderate undercarriage rust. Power steering fluid is low and best I can tell, the leak is not from the power steering pump area.

I think I identified the source of the leak as around what I think is the driver's side front, upper tie rod boot area, if that makes any sense. A little research on this site and others tells me I might be looking at rusted power steering lines or possibly a rack and pinion replacement.

I doubt this is a job I'm going to tackle myself. At least from my description and photos, can a few weigh in and tell me what might be looking at and what the approximate cost might be from an Indy shop?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check on top of the driver's side shock tower and I'll bet it's rusted there. If it's the low pressure return line, you could fix this yourself with some rubber line and clamps or same sized compression fittings and brake line.

Reactions: Meechy1

wormwood1978

Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
Much appreciated at that suggestion. Definitely wetness from where the lines run under the rubber protection on the upper shock tower. Makes me wonder if this is where the source of my leak is rather than the tie rod boot area.

wormwood1978

Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
This past fall I fluid filmed the undercarriage and will continue to do fluid film each fall from here on out.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's a well known failure location because of that stupid rubber isolator it runs through. Remove that rubber, fix the line, lean it all up and paint with Rustoleum to protect the other line.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I have no leaks but I'm going to take a look at that area before I leave work today. Might have to do some preventive maintenance if I see an issue. Thanks @Mooseman

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Makes me wonder how my 02 made it until this past year to spring a leak there...

Probably the low pressure line. You can patch that with some fuel hose and hose clamps. Cut out the bad section, stick 3/8" fuel hose over the cut ends, hose clamp it down, done.

You could get new lines but from reading about it the process sounds like a pain.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Take that rubber off and you might be surprised.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just a reality check man! Better to be safe than sorry.

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You're safe... For now :biggrin:

Reactions: xavierny25

wormwood1978

Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
You are safe for now aswell... Does anyone know when moose hunting season starts?:crackup:

I opted to have my local garage do the work as I'm leaving on vacation today and try to keep to simpler fixes and maintenance.

The shop said the only area that was leaking and only place the lines were bad was on top of the strut tower as someone had suggested, and I later found. They cut out the two rusted/leaking line sections and put new 3/8 nickel line in. Over 2 hours of labor though :-( Hopefully this fixes the problem and if so, I'm thankful it was not worse or more expensive.

Thanks so much for the feedback and suggestions I received in this thread.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
I opted to have my local garage do the work as I'm leaving on vacation today and try to keep to simpler fixes and maintenance.

The shop said the only area that was leaking and only place the lines were bad was on top of the strut tower as someone had suggested, and I later found. They cut out the two rusted/leaking line sections and put new 3/8 nickel line in. Over 2 hours of labor though :-( Hopefully this fixes the problem and if so, I'm thankful it was not worse or more expensive.

Thanks so much for the feedback and suggestions I received in this thread.
Two hours of labor after you pointed them to the exact problem? Ouch! Glad you got it fixed.

Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
Reactions: richphotos

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's what I did.

Reactions: richphotos

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member