Possibly looking into a tahoe or suburban/yukon, advice needed

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
So I'm contemplating a newer vehicle, but not going to retire the envoy. I'm pretty set on a body on frame and while I don't know what years to look for/avoid, I'm somewhere between 2007 and 2013, while 2013 is solely based on purchase price as they tend to get expensive after that.

Budget...low as possible of course...:thumbsup:, but if I had to cap my spending I would like to keep it under $20K, more like $15K.

My main criteria is equal or better towing capacity than the envoy ( easy to do) and 3 rows of seating.... cargo doors is also high on the list, 4WD is not a must but very high on the list. A non-4wd would be my last resort.

The 1500 suburban has a paltry tow rating but I can get by with it, if I go with a burb/XL, I would like to be around 8K towing capacity or higher...no sure if the tahoe can achieve this. Hopefully my info on the 1/2 ton burb towing capacity is incorrect, but I'm seeing under 6000 lbs except for the newer models...something doesn't sound right, I thought they were around 7500 lbs or more.

Fuel economy...looking for at least low 20's on the highway while not towing. I believe the newer versions with the 6sp can achieve this so user input is welcome.

Will I need to step to a 2500 to get more than 6500 lbs towing capacity?

Would really like cloth interior but not a deal breaker. If I can get a LS trim with all the bells that would be great, cloth seats is a high priority but I won't let he perfect vehicle slip if it had leather.

Not sure what year the engines had issues, but all input and criticism is appreciated.

Why am I looking for one? I would like a newer GMT with more room and space for road trips and the ability to haul more weight if needed.

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I don't know how I missed this. There are z71 tahoes still or max tow ones that have the 6.2 and a much higher rating iirc. I know our 03 escalade approaches 8000 in towing capacity. Engines are the same across all years so not much to worry about there. I think you'll want the max tow option though. Other than that look for the usual gm problems.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Well, I'm leaning more towards the 1500 suburban if I can get around a 7500-8000 lb tow rating. I don't think I can get a 2500 in any configuration that can give me 20 mpg.

I would like the 6-speed, I don't need a huge tow rating, but 8K would be nice.

A tahoe is still a consideration, but the 3rd row seat doesn't seem as adult friendly as the suburban.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
It appears the 2014 Tahoe has a little over 8K in the tow rating, which is great.

Surely the burb would be more stable but for what I need that changes things again.

A 6-speed Tahoe with an 8k rating looks like it could be the choice I need, just need to sort out the years.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Looks like you can get a 1500 burb w/ RPO NHT, and depending on the year, max out at just over 10k tow, per the manual. So they exist - if you can find one. What I don't know is what year GM stopped putting 3.73s in NHT package. Newer ones have 3.42s - and it looks like some might have 3.08.

Here's a description of RPO NHT (don't know what year; someone has a 2009 burb 1500 with nht and 3.73...when that ended, IDK, but it should get you started)

Also, no idea if limited to 2 /4WD

NHT - Max Trailering Package - $2,140

- Includes Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Enhanced Cooling Radiator, Heavier Duty Rear Springs, Increased RGAWR, Trailering Package (Heavy-Duty Rear Locking Differential, Also Includes trailer hitch, 7-pin and 4-pin connectors), 18" x 8.5" Bright-Machined Aluminum ((45.7 cm x 21.6 cm)), 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio. Includes 9.76" rear axle and revised shock tuning for increased control

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online