1. We are working on the forum's attachment system. Attachments and avatars will be intermittently affected over the next 24 hours.
    Dismiss Notice

Possibly looking into a tahoe or suburban/yukon, advice needed

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by gmcman, Mar 20, 2017.

1. gmcman

gmcman Well-Known Member

So I'm contemplating a newer vehicle, but not going to retire the envoy. I'm pretty set on a body on frame and while I don't know what years to look for/avoid, I'm somewhere between 2007 and 2013, while 2013 is solely based on purchase price as they tend to get expensive after that.

Budget...low as possible of course...:thumbsup:, but if I had to cap my spending I would like to keep it under $20K, more like $15K.

My main criteria is equal or better towing capacity than the envoy ( easy to do) and 3 rows of seating.... cargo doors is also high on the list, 4WD is not a must but very high on the list. A non-4wd would be my last resort.

The 1500 suburban has a paltry tow rating but I can get by with it, if I go with a burb/XL, I would like to be around 8K towing capacity or higher...no sure if the tahoe can achieve this. Hopefully my info on the 1/2 ton burb towing capacity is incorrect, but I'm seeing under 6000 lbs except for the newer models...something doesn't sound right, I thought they were around 7500 lbs or more.

Fuel economy...looking for at least low 20's on the highway while not towing. I believe the newer versions with the 6sp can achieve this so user input is welcome.

Will I need to step to a 2500 to get more than 6500 lbs towing capacity?

Would really like cloth interior but not a deal breaker. If I can get a LS trim with all the bells that would be great, cloth seats is a high priority but I won't let he perfect vehicle slip if it had leather.

Not sure what year the engines had issues, but all input and criticism is appreciated.

Why am I looking for one? I would like a newer GMT with more room and space for road trips and the ability to haul more weight if needed.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. gmcman

gmcman Well-Known Member

Bump...:coffee: :smile:

3. littleblazer

littleblazer Well-Known Member

I don't know how I missed this. There are z71 tahoes still or max tow ones that have the 6.2 and a much higher rating iirc. I know our 03 escalade approaches 8000 in towing capacity. Engines are the same across all years so not much to worry about there. I think you'll want the max tow option though. Other than that look for the usual gm problems.

4. gmcman

gmcman Well-Known Member

Well, I'm leaning more towards the 1500 suburban if I can get around a 7500-8000 lb tow rating. I don't think I can get a 2500 in any configuration that can give me 20 mpg.

I would like the 6-speed, I don't need a huge tow rating, but 8K would be nice.

A tahoe is still a consideration, but the 3rd row seat doesn't seem as adult friendly as the suburban.

5. gmcman

gmcman Well-Known Member

It appears the 2014 Tahoe has a little over 8K in the tow rating, which is great.

Surely the burb would be more stable but for what I need that changes things again.

A 6-speed Tahoe with an 8k rating looks like it could be the choice I need, just need to sort out the years.

6. Reprise

Reprise Silver Supporter

Looks like you can get a 1500 burb w/ RPO NHT, and depending on the year, max out at just over 10k tow, per the manual. So they exist - if you can find one. What I don't know is what year GM stopped putting 3.73s in NHT package. Newer ones have 3.42s - and it looks like some might have 3.08.

Here's a description of RPO NHT (don't know what year; someone has a 2009 burb 1500 with nht and 3.73...when that ended, IDK, but it should get you started)

Also, no idea if limited to 2 /4WD

NHT - Max Trailering Package - $2,140

- Includes Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Enhanced Cooling Radiator, Heavier Duty Rear Springs, Increased RGAWR, Trailering Package (Heavy-Duty Rear Locking Differential, Also Includes trailer hitch, 7-pin and 4-pin connectors), 18" x 8.5" Bright-Machined Aluminum ((45.7 cm x 21.6 cm)), 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio. Includes 9.76" rear axle and revised shock tuning for increased control