Possible to build my own E-Fan kit?

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
So I saw the E-fan kit everyone was running with the PCM4Less Tune, and decided I would try and construct my own. Bought 2 12" slim radiator fans online and a Relay to wire them to accessory. Only thing I was concerned about was mounting them to the radiator or making my own brackets to mount them.

But then I started reading today and saw that the car starts to throw codes if you disconnect the stock fan unless you disable it in the PCM. If I can fab up my own installation of these, is the car throwing codes going to affect anything until I can get my tune done? Also I'm assuming the best way to do this would be to also wire in a thermostat fan control switch. Any input guys?

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I did. I used a Corvette C-6 fan, a fan controller from Delta Current Control, and some 2" wide aluminum. I had P1481 and P1482 until I got my tune. I got my tune from PCMforLess and they removed the P1481 code, and the P1482 is pending indefinitely. I don't think the pending status matters. The aluminum mounting was easy for me to bend into position.

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Alright there's the kick in the ass I needed. Any pics of how you did the aluminum? Curious to see. Normally I can just whip something up but I'm having a hard time seeing it since I never got it off the car yet.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
What part number on the controller?

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
DJones said:
I did. I used a Corvette C-6 fan, a fan controller from Delta Current Control, and some 2" wide aluminum. I had P1481 and P1482 until I got my tune. I got my tune from PCMforLess and they removed the P1481 code, and the P1482 is pending indefinitely. I don't think the pending status matters. The aluminum mounting was easy for me to bend into position.

You have an 02-05 right? What is the P1482 code? I cant remember if P1481 or P1482 is the one that you need to apply the efans patch to remove...think its P1481, but I cant remember exactly.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
fr34kout said:
Alright there's the kick in the ass I needed. Any pics of how you did the aluminum? Curious to see. Normally I can just whip something up but I'm having a hard time seeing it since I never got it off the car yet.

I put a 1" bend at the bottom with a bolt through it so that it slides into the stock holes, then it has holes at the top for the bolts to screw it in.

HARDTRAILZ said:
What part number on the controller?

I think the FK-55, but it looks different from what I got, although functionality looks the same.

ScarabEpic22 said:
You have an 02-05 right? What is the P1482 code? I cant remember if P1481 or P1482 is the one that you need to apply the efans patch to remove...think its P1481, but I cant remember exactly.

SES isn't on, so I think I'm good. P1481 is the one that is pernamently disabled.

fr34kout

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Well good news is I got the fans mounted up and wired up, running fine right now. Ended up just using zipties through the fins to mount it, figured that would put it next to the radiator and not have to worry about pulling outside air. So far so good, just ordered my PCM4Less airbox intake, 160 degree thermostat, and tune. Can't wait to get those in :thumbsup:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
fr34kout said:
Well good news is I got the fans mounted up and wired up, running fine right now. Ended up just using zipties through the fins to mount it, figured that would put it next to the radiator and not have to worry about pulling outside air. So far so good, just ordered my PCM4Less airbox intake, 160 degree thermostat, and tune. Can't wait to get those in :thumbsup:

Can I ask why your using a 160 t-stat? The stock is 190. I would think you would be running to rich.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
fr34kout said:
Pretty much this lol

I haven't made it to the PCMtune research yet lol I will hopefully be ready for one this summer/fall. I wonder if I should be kicking myself in the arse for getting a 190 t-stat? :crazy:

Oh well, sorry. I didn't mean to hijack lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Voymom said:
I haven't made it to the PCMtune research yet lol I will hopefully be ready for one this summer/fall. I wonder if I should be kicking myself in the arse for getting a 190 t-stat? :crazy:

Oh well, sorry. I didn't mean to hijack lol

The inline 6 u have needs the 190.

Skier

Feb 8, 2012
I built my own e-fan set-up from a Flex-a-lite 295 dual electric fan and a spare shroud. just looking from the front of the engine compartment no one would ever know that there was an e-fan instead of the stooopid elctro-clutch fan. I have an extra PCM and PCM-for-Less harness I use. When my youngest comes over I will have a pic taken as it is out because of Warranty work.

This works better than the Electro-clutch fan even when towing a Travel Trailer just less than 5,000 lbs. even at 90+ F through Appalachian Mts.

Skier

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
On my Sunfire, I have 2 Spal 12" fans powered by a Spal PWM V2 fan control. Gets the temp signal off the engine temp sensor rather than a probe... Has an optional sensor that goes in a water jacket, but that's going in when I change the heads.

The downside is when I have to unhook the battery. The controller has to be reset from factory default. The optional sensor will keep that from happening....

I unplug one fan in the fall/winter, but use both in the spring/summer.

Both the V2 and V3 have an ACCOUNT on trigger.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YSB