Plasti dip guide: Wheels

5280_Blazer

Mar 13, 2013
Just bought my TB and was interested in getting black wheels eventually, but the unique bolt pattern of the GMT 360 and steep price haulted my searches. Then I stumbled upon this thread.. I am definitely going to pick up a few cans tomorrow and give plasti dip a shot! Hopefully I can post pics of before and after! Thanks for the info, and I am excited to read, and participate in more forums in the future!

5280_Blazer

Mar 13, 2013
Happy with the results! I dipped my wheels and bowties this weekend and I think they turned out real nice! Have already received a few compliments. It is a cheap, easy, application if you are interested in changing the color of wheels, trim etc.. From first lug nut off to last lug nut on took me under 4 hours. I used 5 coats and waited about 15-20 min between applications. I was going back and forth from wheel to wheel spraying and cleaning and taping things off like a madman! I had my own little dipping assembly line. I used a little more than 2 cans for all 4 wheels and the bowties, and I let the wheels dry after for a few hours before putting them back on. Couldn't be happier thus far!

Attachments

• IMAG0669.jpg
    IMAG0669.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0688.jpg
    IMAG0688.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0667.jpg
    IMAG0667.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 27
  • IMAG0683.jpg
    IMAG0683.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMAG0687.jpg
    IMAG0687.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 26

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Are there any tire shines that eat plasti dip, that anyone is aware of?
What brands/methods(aerosol, gel, spray) do you use?

Edit: Just to clarify, I read somewhere that some tire shines will mess up the plasti dip. Any experiances to that effect?

5280_Blazer

Mar 13, 2013
I haven't used and tire shine yet, as I heard the same thing. I have black magic tire wet that I have used in the past, but am hesitant to use it just yet.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
I used tire wet all the time with no issues, I actually spray directly on the plasti dip to give it a shiny glossy look. Only lasts for a couple days though.

5280_Blazer

Mar 13, 2013
Just got around to dipping the Trailblazer LS emblem black.
Wheel and Bowties are still looking great even after a snowy, March and April in lovely CO. I wasn't worried about the snow as much as the mag-chloride. What have others with plasti-dipped wheels experienced with off-roading or heavy dirt road driving? I'm sure scraping the wheels against larger rocks would tear the plasti-dip, but I don't plan on doing any of that just yet.

Attachments

• IMAG0772.jpg
    IMAG0772.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMAG0771.jpg
    IMAG0771.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMAG0691.jpg
    IMAG0691.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 24

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
5280_Blazer said:
Just got around to dipping the Trailblazer LS emblem black.
Wheel and Bowties are still looking great even after a snowy, March and April in lovely CO. I wasn't worried about the snow as much as the mag-chloride. What have others with plasti-dipped wheels experienced with off-roading or heavy dirt road driving? I'm sure scraping the wheels against larger rocks would tear the plasti-dip, but I don't plan on doing any of that just yet.

Did you plasti dip the wiper cowl as well?

5280_Blazer

Mar 13, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Did you plasti dip the wiper cowl as well?

I didn't dip the wiper cowl. That would be an interesting idea though. I'm still thinking about what else I can dip! I bought 4 and still have 2 cans to use!

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
5280_Blazer said:
I didn't dip the wiper cowl. That would be an interesting idea though. I'm still thinking about what else I can dip! I bought 4 and still have 2 cans to use!

Cross bar

mms_picture_zps83d2b0b9.jpg

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
Has anyone used the primer that plasti dip is selling?

I'm guessing the ease of the peel refers to NOT using the primer.

Plasti Dip Primer

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
5280_Blazer said:

After seeing your pics I was thinking about going that route. Street scene makes a smooth wiper cowl that can be painted to match the vehicle. I think plasti dip would clean up the oem wiper cowl well. Since you have used plasti dip, do you think one can would be enough to do the wiper cowl?

5280_Blazer

Mar 13, 2013
dmanns67 said:
After seeing your pics I was thinking about going that route. Street scene makes a smooth wiper cowl that can be painted to match the vehicle. I think plasti dip would clean up the oem wiper cowl well. Since you have used plasti dip, do you think one can would be enough to do the wiper cowl?

Yeah, luckily my wiper cowl is still in pretty good shape. I definitely think 1 can would be enough. But I guess no two people use this stuff the same. I can tell you that I did 5 coats on 4 tires, 2 bowties and my Trailblazer emblem, and I used 2 cans. This also accounts for un clogging the cap after every coat by shaking and spraying upside down for a few seconds

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
what are you guys doing to mess up your wiper cowls?

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
Gotcha. Think the heat gun trick would work?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
:confused: wouldn't know. Grey plastic is the work of satan and you will find none on my truck

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I think a nice coat of plasti would look better than the Street Scene smooth wiper cowl. Plus a lot cheaper!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Plasti definitely would not look better than that smooth one.

wesman43

Apr 30, 2013
aight after seeing this imma have to paint my rims :biggrin: What would really be interesting is to see if I can smoke out the amber turn signals I have :o

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
wesman43 said:
aight after seeing this imma have to paint my rims :biggrin: What would really be interesting is to see if I can smoke out the amber turn signals I have :o

Better use nightshades on your turn signals, plasti-dip is a solid coating and will not allow any light to shine through. Unless, of course, that's the effect you are looking for...

:biggrin:

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
I've been planning for several months, but haven't gotten around to doing it yet, plasti-dipping my chrome rims. Like a previous poster mentioned, my plan is to dip just my spokes on the rims, and leaving the outer ring chrome. I figure for that operation i'd definately have to take the wheels off the vehicle, and most likely have to use a razor blade to create that "edge". If/when I get it done, i'll post some pics, or if anyone has dipped only the centers of their wheels already, i'd love to see some pics

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
BINGA said:
Better use nightshades on your turn signals, plasti-dip is a solid coating and will not allow any light to shine through. Unless, of course, that's the effect you are looking for...

:biggrin:

Thats is true unless you are using Plasti Dip Smoke. [video=youtube;iR0djNWecKo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR0djNWecKo[/video]

IMO, I think VHT night shades will look better since the Plasti Dip will give you a matte finish.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Juan (Boricua SS) tried the smoke on his rims, it didn't go so well :frown: For tinting tails IMO it would only look good with a flat paint job.

paulcmartin

May 13, 2013
why tape the wheel?? I can see taping the valve stem...but the plasti dip peels right off of the tire because of all the oils. Just take a rag and wipe it off, seems like you wasted a lot of time wrapping with tape. Also you don't have to take your wheel off...you can just put a trash bag around your rotors
just sayin, I did that method on a 350z show car and it came out show quality :thumbsup:

wesman43

Apr 30, 2013
Uh it doesn't just peel off the wheel.. From experience lol. It gets all in the tiny lettering and makes for a bitch getting off. Tape it lol

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
I tried taping my wheels, when I did them, but the tape didn't adhere well... Damn you, Dollar Store brand masking tape! My solution was to cut out an arch from cardboard, about a third the circumference of the wheel. As I went around the edges of the wheels, I sprayed with my right, and blocked the tire with my arch with the left hand. Worked really well, actually. And since you have to keep the can close(4-6" for me), for decent coverage, over spray wasn't as bad as one might think.

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
I tried taping my wheels, when I did them, but the tape didn't adhere well... Damn you, Dollar Store brand masking tape! My solution was to cut out an arch from cardboard, about a third the circumference of the wheel. As I went around the edges of the wheels, I sprayed with my right, and blocked the tire with my arch with the left hand. Worked really well, actually. And since you have to keep the can close(4-6" for me), for decent coverage, over spray wasn't as bad as one might think. And, the time it took to tape one wheel equaled the time to spray three wheels with my arch.

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
paulcmartin said:
why tape the wheel?? I can see taping the valve stem...but the plasti dip peels right off of the tire because of all the oils. Just take a rag and wipe it off, seems like you wasted a lot of time wrapping with tape. Also you don't have to take your wheel off...you can just put a trash bag around your rotors
just sayin, I did that method on a 350z show car and it came out show quality :thumbsup:

Well in my post, I was talking about plasti-dipping just the spokes of the chrome rim, not the whole wheel. Personally, i'm not a real big fan of the all black look on some vehicles, its just not for me. This is kinda what I am talking about...

Attachments

• black wheels.jpg
    black wheels.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 86

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
Conner299 said:
I tried taping my wheels, when I did them, but the tape didn't adhere well... Damn you, Dollar Store brand masking tape! My solution was to cut out an arch from cardboard, about a third the circumference of the wheel. As I went around the edges of the wheels, I sprayed with my right, and blocked the tire with my arch with the left hand. Worked really well, actually. And since you have to keep the can close(4-6" for me), for decent coverage, over spray wasn't as bad as one might think. And, the time it took to tape one wheel equaled the time to spray three wheels with my arch.

Got any pics?

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
BINGA said:
Got any pics?

I dont have any pics of my cardboard arch, or while I was spraying. I was impatient to start spraying, so I started with the taped wheel, before I even tried to tape the other three. It was while spraying that first wheel I realized I didnt like them completely black. I decided to get them sprayed, let them cure for a day or two, and carefully cut the lip, and peel back the edge. Thats why I went with the cardboard arch for the other three. I just had to keep 99% of the spray off the tires. This, to me, just seemed easier than taping up the wheel. Luckily it worked out well.

Heres pics of my wheels, completely black, and with the lip peeled back.

And heres some of the whole vehicle, for some perspective.

BINGA

Jun 8, 2012
Looks good man :thumbsup: I think that lip being exposed compliments the chrome crossbar well

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
BINGA said:
Looks good man :thumbsup: I think that lip being exposed compliments the chrome crossbar well

Its funny you say that... I dipped my wheels about two mos ago, and blacked out the grill with Krylon a month ago.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Conner299 said:
Its funny you say that... I dipped my wheels about two mos ago, and blacked out the grill with Krylon a month ago.

I like the wheels better all black, but the silver lip isn't bad.

dazingla

Jul 14, 2013
Im doing my GMC signs on my Envoy later on today. heres a video of a guy doing it on a Sierra: [video=youtube;vlv30O_W9lE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlv30O_W9lE[/video]

dazingla

Jul 14, 2013
STLtrailbSS said:
I have been getting a lot of questions about plastidip on wheels So I figured I would make a thread for everyone to see.

Ok To start plasti-dip if you don't know is a rubberized coating most commonly used via spray can, When dried the finished is a nice very slight gloss flat black. Its available at a lot of common hardware stores and runs on average $5-$6 a can. The greatest advantage of plasti dip and why it is seen on almost every Automotive forum is that if you get tired of it, It peels away. Listen to your fellow GMT guy its not hard to pull off, I have no idea where people get these outrageous ideas that It takes hours to strip a wheel of plasti dip. Guys have also used this on there paint it is a harmless product on TBSSowners you will see plasti dip pillars,stripes,dash panels,vents,grills...it goes on for ever. Plasti dip has also released a glossifier that can be used over matte plasti dip to give it that clear coat look which I will be experimenting with soon. Basically Plasti-dip can be used for endless applications.There has even been sites entirely dedicated to automotive plasti dip.
Plastic Dip Intl. 11203 Plasti-Dip Spray: Amazon.com: Home Improvement

Anyway on to your wheels.

PREP:
Take your rims off..obviously then I used diluted simple green and scrubbed inside and out get the rim CLEAN as possible and make sure they are completely dry before moving on. So simple get em CLEAN

TAPE:
this is an iffy area heres what I have learned and had rage so you don't have too lol, If you tape first do the best you can to get the tape as far in between the rim and tire as possible, Since its a rubberized coating and not paint if you have plasti dip on the tape and rim that is bonded together when pulling the tape it will take the plasti dip off the rim as well. Via TBSSowners many guys have used index cards with the thin stiff edges they can get in between the lip much easier and the angle they sit at create less problems with the bonding. You can also use a razor to trim the lip before pulling the tape. Honestly after the first mistake I didnt even tape off anything the plast dip has a very rough time bonding to the rubber I was able to rub my hand around the tire and it all just came off. MAKE SURE YOU TAPE OFF YOUR VALVES! DO NOT WANT PLASTI DIP IN YOUR TPMS/VALVES!
IMAG0214.jpg

Looks good but they can be deceiving lol

PAINT:
The best way to start is with a THIN layer after drying it feels grainy and you should still be able to see the chrome through the black, I found this is the best way to get a solid bond. Make sure you hit all the little spots and insides of the spokes with the first coat leave nothing untouched.
about 75% through the 1st layer
IMAG0226.jpg

Following that I added about two to three more coats,I was impatient and waited about 20-25 minutes between coats it does dry pretty fast but you can probably give it a little longer to get a good set. Use a smooth back and forth spray just like spraying anything really, do not spray close this stuff will lump. When coming back for another coat make sure to flip the can upside down and give it a few sprays to clear the nozzle there will be a little build up and you don't want to spray that mixed with the fresh plasti dip on your rim. This is the result
IMAG0219.jpg

**Going back I would recommend doing the inside of the rim first that way if you get some over spray its not going to affect the outside of the rim just peel your drips off and your good to go, On the inside I just used 1 base coat and 1 nice thick coat.

Durability:
Im going on roughly 2 months of it being on my wheels. It has been through 2 nice salty snows and I do use a gravel road on the weekend on the farm and around lakes and it has held. TBSSowners guys are seeing up to a year of continued use and some longer BUT keep in mind if your going to do a lot of off roading like a lot of you do I don't think you will see that longevity, I'm not saying if you go on a dirt road your screwed but if your going to ride with hardtrailz or Regulator for a day I'm pretty sure your finish is not going to come out as nice as it went in. *If you use a touch car wash your playing Russian roulette some guys haven't had an issue some have seen some peeling

All in all your getting black rims for roughly $30 thats $490 cheaper then I was quoted for some PC and you can get rid of it! Perfect for a winter rim or if you want to change things up for a couple of months. I can honestly care less if my rims are dipped I will never drop 1K on rims on a ss that would be put straight to the LS2 chrome does not drop my times lol. Hope this helped some of you guys out.

*Easiest way to remove plasti dip is pick an area around the lip and create ALOT of friction with your finger and it will eventually peel and then your can start "skinning" your rim.

[video=youtube;eDCI12JR4Xo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDCI12JR4Xo[/video]
IMAG0259-1.jpg

How many cans did you use?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher