pickup

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
was wondering what a good route to take to get alittle more pickup/oomph on acceleration..... right now everything is stock engine wise.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Get your PCM tuned. There's a number of threads floating around with the feedback of other members who've done it. :thumbsup:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Blckshdw said:
Get your PCM tuned. There's a number of threads floating around with the feedback of other members who've done it. :thumbsup:

Cosigned. I didn't believe the hype until I drove one with a tune. Then I got one and never looked back. Shoulda done it the day after I bought the truck.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
06_GATOR_VOY said:
how much does a tune cost?

$150 for the 4.2, $250 for the 5.3 and 6.0

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
Blckshdw said:
Check out their page, for more info.

PCM of NC

so reading up on their service i see it mentions the security and a few other things i believe will have to be relearned? how hard is that to be done or get done? cost?
ive personally never taken out a pcm etc....

also anyone deal wtih jet performance module?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
06_GATOR_VOY said:
so reading up on their service i see it mentions the security and a few other things i believe will have to be relearned? how hard is that to be done or get done? cost?

The security relearn process is pretty easy. The procedure's been posted somewhere. The CASE relearn is a pain, since you usually have to go somewhere to get it done (if it's not your original PCM) and you can be charged a wide range of prices for a 10 minute job. Unless you know someone with HPTuners, I believe they can do a CASE relearn with that. As for removing/installing a PCM, check out the Articles section. You'll find your answer there. :thumbsup:

The performance module plug in things are crap, and won't work on our trucks. The PCMs are smart modules, and will recognize any changes introduced into the system and account for them, to get you back to operating within the stock parameters within a few drive cycles. So you'd be back to where you started from, and out however much you spent on that chip.

I forgot to mention, forum member Limequat also does tunes for us as well. :twocents:

Lime-Swap.com

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Tune---DO IT!!!!!!

You could swap in a 4.10 geared rearend pretty cheap and easy since you are 2wd.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
06_GATOR_VOY said:

You are referring to the security relearn and the crankshaft angle sensor error (CASE) relearn.

If you choose the core program option from PCMofNC then a CASE relearn will be required. The CASE relearn can be done by someone with a scan tool and a working knowledge of the procedure. I would take it to the dealership or a local shop you trust for this, but I would call around first to get the best price. It should not take longer than 10-20 minutes, but prices will vary.

The security relearn can be done by you at home. PCMofNC provides instructions on how to perform the secuirity relearn. I mailed in my PCM and did not have to worry about either.

The PCM is very simple to remove. Many articles about it, just search google.

For better acceleration, shifting, and overall performance, a PCM tune is definitely the way to go. I have had mine for almost two weeks now and I wish this would have been my first mod. If you wait until PCM has a sale, they take $20.00 off of the tune.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
I hate all of you 4.2 people, A used 4.2 pcm is like, 99 bucks. A used 5.3/6.0 pcm is more like 250 when a brand new one can be had for 225. I want an extra in case i ever want to tow...

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
DDonnie said:
I hate all of you 4.2 people, A used 4.2 pcm is like, 99 bucks. A used 5.3/6.0 pcm is more like 250 when a brand new one can be had for 225. I want an extra in case i ever want to tow...

I think I have 90% of torque management removed, but would never dream of swapping my pcm to tow. I just tow if I need to. If you know what you are doing and pay attention, it is fine occasionally.

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
Blckshdw said:
I forgot to mention, forum member Limequat also does tunes for us as well. :twocents:

Lime-Swap.com

so if i read his info correctly he charges 200 for the loaner program, sends you a tuned pcm, you send him yours to be tuned and once he receives the loaner pcm he will credit you 100 bucks making the tuned only 99 bucks.
with a loaner tuned since its not the original would it cause any problems?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
06_GATOR_VOY said:
so if i read his info correctly he charges 200 for the loaner program, sends you a tuned pcm, you send him yours to be tuned and once he receives the loaner pcm he will credit you 100 bucks making the tuned only 99 bucks.
with a loaner tuned since its not the original would it cause any problems?

PCM of NC offers the same service. Using a different PCM won't cause any (real) problems, this is the scenario that requires the relearns. If you can afford the vehicle downtime to send your PCM out to get tuned, then no relearns are needed.

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
Blckshdw said:
PCM of NC offers the same service. Using a different PCM won't cause any (real) problems, this is the scenario that requires the relearns. If you can afford the vehicle downtime to send your PCM out to get tuned, then no relearns are needed.

yeah i cant afford the downtime....

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
Tune---DO IT!!!!!!

You could swap in a 4.10 geared rearend pretty cheap and easy since you are 2wd.

not sure about swapping out the rear gears but i know i will need the rearend shorten when it comes time to lay this beast out.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
HARDTRAILZ said:
I think I have 90% of torque management removed, but would never dream of swapping my pcm to tow. I just tow if I need to. If you know what you are doing and pay attention, it is fine occasionally.

PCMofNC removed 80% torque management since I do not tow. If you do tow often, they only remove 30% torque management according to Kelly.

06_GATOR_VOY said:
yeah i cant afford the downtime....

PCMs that are sent in take priority. My PCM arrived at their shop Tuesday morning and was back in my truck by Wednesday afternoon. I used UPS 2nd day air to get it there and UPS next day air to get it back. In all it was about $60.00 in shipping to reduce the down time.

Charley12

Mar 23, 2013
My tuned PCM is on its way!! I wish I would have just paid the extra for a quicker turn around. PCM of NC has been great!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: They had mine tuned shipped out the day they received it!!

06_GATOR_VOY

Original poster
May 22, 2013
Charley12 said:
My tuned PCM is on its way!! I wish I would have just paid the extra for a quicker turn around. PCM of NC has been great!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: They had mine tuned shipped out the day they received it!!

did you have any downtime?

Charley12

Mar 23, 2013
Yes I did, but I did it before I left for vacation so it didn't hurt anything. If you do overnight ups you would be looking at 3 days tops! Its worth asking to borrow a car.

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
If I were to get the tune for a completely stock 360 and then afterwards put in maybe a CAI, big 3 upgrade, larger wheels, drop kit, new springs and struts and sway bars, would that require getting another tune and another $150?

If so, which change/s were what requires a new tune?

And third, some guy was saying that I6s have lots of misfires and that even with 87 octane tune it still happens so use at least 89 and get it tuned for that. Then someone said tune it for 87 so you can use it if you have to but try to use 89 or even better 91. Thoughts on that? Obviously don't want to spend more on fuel than necessary.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
xtitan1 said:
If I were to get the tune for a completely stock 360 and then afterwards put in maybe a CAI, big 3 upgrade, larger wheels, drop kit, new springs and struts and sway bars, would that require getting another tune and another $150?

I believe re-flashes are slightly cheaper than a full tune. Suspension and electrical changes don't require a retune, just things controlled by the PCM (CAI, larger TIRES not necessarily wheels, efans, delete certain trouble codes)

xtitan1 said:
And third, some guy was saying that I6s have lots of misfires and that even with 87 octane tune it still happens so use at least 89 and get it tuned for that. Then someone said tune it for 87 so you can use it if you have to but try to use 89 or even better 91. Thoughts on that? Obviously don't want to spend more on fuel than necessary.

:confused: :banghead: If you have bad (or wrong) spark plugs, or faulty coil packs, or get water into plug wells, then yes you'll get a lot of misfires. But a blanket statement like that is flat out wrong. If you get tuned for higher octane, then more potential can be gained from your tune, but there's nothing wrong with sticking with 87 octane. Your best bet, email the folks at PCM of NC and ask them questions, that's what I did. They are friendly, very responsive and have great customer service, and I haven't even bought a tune (yet). :cool:

xtitan1

Jun 5, 2013
Roger that sorry for repeating the bad info-- I didn't know. Maybe I will put this higher on the list and talk to the PCM of nc guys about it as you suggest.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
xtitan1 said:
Roger that sorry for repeating the bad info-- I didn't know. Maybe I will put this higher on the list and talk to the PCM of nc guys about it as you suggest.

Email Kelly at sales@pcmofnc.com. Like Carlton said they have great customer service.

They took the time to answer all 20 of my questions. Better to hear it straight from the horses mouth versus rumors. :thumbsup:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My retune was $50 when I swapped gears and changed tire size. They did those changes and more.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
The more i read about tunes the more i def want to get it done. My main goal at the moment mod wise is picking up a Bully Dog Watch Dog so i can do some data logging and monitoring before ordering a Tune. For the '08-09 the only real option seems to be the Dashhawk package which is where they send a Dashhawk with the tuned ECM for doing the CASE relearn. :undecided:

Opps nm...they have the option to send in and loaner program for it as well..

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Darkrider_LS said:
The more i read about tunes the more i def want to get it done. My main goal at the moment mod wise is picking up a Bully Dog Watch Dog so i can do some data logging and monitoring before ordering a Tune. For the '08-09 the only real option seems to be the Dashhawk package which is where they send a Dashhawk with the tuned ECM for doing the CASE relearn. :undecided:

Opps nm...they have the option to send in and loaner program for it as well..

Honestly, if I could start my modding over again, the tune would be the first thing on the list. Well worth the money.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online