NEED HELP PCM Questions

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Hey guys...looking at swapping PCM's today and had some questions before I screw everything up. These questions are as follows...

When I watched May03Lt's video it said that a donor PCM from eBay would require extra steps compared to PCMofNC's loaner. Is this true?

Will I need to perform the security relearn on the donor PCM that I have? Assuming so

Should I clean the throttle body after instal of each PCM?

Since I'm sending my PCM off to LimeSwap, I won't need a CASE relearn will I?

Thanks y'all!!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Is it programmed to your vin? If so you'll just need to do the security relearn I believe. If it's not it'll still work but the security relearn is necessary. I don't know if there are any other things to look out for. As for cleaning the throttle body, you shouldn't have to redo it with the tuned one. A couple hundred miles is nothing and it shouldn't get dirty.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Not sure if your new vs loaner will make a difference.

I did not do a security relearn when I swapped.

If your TB is clean...it wont matter.

Not if you reinstall your original when he returns it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Ok so this won't even crank when I try to start it. Is this an issue or is it common?
Happened with the sierra. It took like 4 tries.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You have to do it 3 times before it will start.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Maybe it was 3. :hahano:

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Like I mentioned before in anything goes, go ahead and tune out the fan clutch codes so that when your fan clutch shits it'll be a simple swap to the thermal clutch.

Pretty sure the thermal clutches are much cheaper than the electro viscous clutches, that's enough of a reason to me. Plus they're more reliable, less likely to go out.

Also, make sure you don't have SAIS. There's another you'd wanna take care of if you have it.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
So, you're a new guy huh? Secondary air injection system. Listed as AIR pump on the tune chart you posted.

Look under your intake tube, do you have this cannister like thing?

Screenshot_2016-02-23-23-15-07_zpsnjchcz9u.png

If so, you sir, have SAIS. That's the solenoid. Once it or the pump eventually goes bad, that's just another not-very-cheap part that would need replaced to get the check engine light to go away. Might as well make it impossible for it to even show up with those codes.

Once it's tuned out you can disable the system whenever and even take the pump and solenoid out. The factory block off plates are available online to block off the solenoids passageways in the block.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Secondary air injection system. If you have a hose connected to your intake you got it. Or a solenoid thing on the motor.

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Ignorance strikes again. Wasn't doing the 30 sec wait. Got it to start after the 4th or 5th correct try. Weird since I dont have a SES light but fuck it. It works.
Thanks boys!!
so you just got a pcm from junk yard, popped it in, did the security relearn and it works? im still new to all this pcm stuff but would like to send mine out for a tune.. just cant afford to have it down while its being done.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just be sure you get torque management completely removed (I think I saw 35%?). Definitely take out the fan codes. Another thing I did on my 5.3, if it can be done on the 4.2, is have the Torque Converter Clutch engage at 100% (or 90%) instead of the mushy gradual PWM. Saves the clutch and reduces heat.

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
is there a "master list" of sorts anywhere that lists every option (perhaps explaining what the options do) available when tuning so we can make an informed decision on what options we have? It seams like you can't even access the tune order form on PCM of NC until you give them all of your contact info and I don't want to give that info until I know what I want and have had time to research the options.

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Just be sure you get torque management completely removed (I think I saw 35%?). Definitely take out the fan codes. Another thing I did on my 5.3, if it can be done on the 4.2, is have the Torque Converter Clutch engage at 100% (or 90%) instead of the mushy gradual PWM. Saves the clutch and reduces heat.

Should I have him up the shift pressure to like 150% as well?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I dunno. You'd have to talk to him about it. All I know is that he can firm up the shifts and modify the PWM for the TCC.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
PCMofNC left 20% of torque management with my tune, but even at that, I could instantly feel a huge difference.

Shift firmness/pressure, I am not sure about as PCMofNC only offers it in levels (1, 2, and, 3) I am not sure how those level correlate to percentages. Level 2 is great though. Maybe send an email to PCMofNC and ask how their shift firmness levels correlates to percentages.

is there a "master list" of sorts anywhere that lists every option (perhaps explaining what the options do) available when tuning so we can make an informed decision on what options we have? It seams like you can't even access the tune order form on PCM of NC until you give them all of your contact info and I don't want to give that info until I know what I want and have had time to research the options.

PCMofNC's ordersheet accomplishes exactly what you are asking for. Go to their site, scroll over "Ordersheet+", and click on "Custom Tuning". Next screen that comes up starts the tuning order sheet which has your name, address, etc on it.

You do NOT need to fill out your personal information. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Next". That will take to you the the next page of the actual custom tune options. You can click "Next" on every page of the order sheet to see what all options they offer.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not at all, less firm than on my TB with shift kit/PWM eliminator. That one feels like a 5th gear. Yours felt like a quick PWM.

Reactions: littleblazer

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The voy is snappy but not bad, it is either off or on on the tcc. So yea, 5th gear. It's fun, feels more like a 4l80e, they are firmer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online