Painting Wiper Arms

coleman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
One of my wipers is faded to where the anodized black is totally gone in a very large area. I'd like to take both the front wiper arms off and just paint them to restore them, but I seem to recall awhile back where someone had said that you can't simply just unbolt them from the motors. Can anyone weigh in on that?

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
Take the little rubber caps off the nuts on the base of the arms, take the nut off from under them, and then wiggle them off.

Super simple.

coleman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
groundshock said:
Take the little rubber caps off the nuts on the base of the arms, take the nut off from under them, and then wiggle them off.

Super simple.

That's what I figured, thanks. I had done that with another vehicle of mine a long time ago, but just wanted to check to make sure.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just reminded me I need to paint mine too.

coleman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Just reminded me I need to paint mine too.

What's your method of painting them? In the past, I've hung them from a tree branch with a small piece of twine and used spray paint. That way I can hit all sides and get an even coat over the whole thing.

cjceg1985

Dec 8, 2011
I've painted a few arms and i found priming with self etching duplicolor makes the paint stick better. Used to get flakes and rust after winter with regular primer.
Try it.... you'll like it....:yes: especially when your not repainting them every year.
Also if their stuck on the post hit parts store for battery post puller works good in most cases and under $10 not the 30-40 for the actual wiper arm removal tool:rotfl:

Hotness

Dec 7, 2011
I just stuck a ratchet handle under wiper and pried up while wiggling. Don't use a screwdriver tho because it'll scratch and mar the plastic cowl

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
coleman said:
What's your method of painting them? In the past, I've hung them from a tree branch with a small piece of twine and used spray paint. That way I can hit all sides and get an even coat over the whole thing.

I hang them from the rafters in the garage with a bent up wire coat hanger. hang them from the mount hole.

cjceg1985 said:
I've painted a few arms and i found priming with self etching duplicolor makes the paint stick better. Used to get flakes and rust after winter with regular primer.
Try it.... you'll like it....:yes: especially when your not repainting them every year.
Also if their stuck on the post hit parts store for battery post puller works good in most cases and under $10 not the 30-40 for the actual wiper arm removal tool:rotfl:

Agreed. I'll never go back to regular primer. Dupli-color Self Etching Primer. The key with that is not to force dry it, let it air dry normally and give the solvents time to work for adhesion.

Also, you don't need any puller. Grab and wiggle them semi-aggressively and they'll eventually work loose.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I did mine a few years ago. It is time to do them again I think. :thumbsup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
What about the hinge? Do you flip them up to paint, then when dry put them back down, or paint them with them in the down position? I just wonder about clearances is all. I don't want them to not flex smoothly and then fail to maintain proper blade contact with the windshield.

Mine need painted badly but I wasn't sure about the hinges.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I did mine when I added washer nozzles to the arms. If you want them, try and save the plastic nut caps by levering them off with a screwdriver from under them...they're a dealer only replacement at $6.XX each.

The hammer method that others have mentioned works well. Just take the nut off and smack the post a couple of times and they should lift off.

Again, as others have mentioned, etch primer is the way to go. I then just used a matte black...about 3 light coats worked really well. Just don't forget to use some wet and dry to smooth down any flaky edges.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Matt said:
try and save the plastic nut caps by levering them off with a screwdriver from under them...they're a dealer only replacement at $6.XX each.

The hammer method that others have mentioned works well. Just take the nut off and smack the post a couple of times and they should lift off.

Youre absolutely right Matt. I tore my caps all to hell when I took my wiper arms off to paint. I ended up just using a paint marker to hit the nut assembly but my critical eye wouldn't stand for that. $15 and some change to get 2 new ones shipped. :sadcry:

Ps... Anyone else really love it here? :biggrin:

groundshock

Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:
What about the hinge? Do you flip them up to paint, then when dry put them back down, or paint them with them in the down position? I just wonder about clearances is all. I don't want them to not flex smoothly and then fail to maintain proper blade contact with the windshield.

Mine need painted badly but I wasn't sure about the hinges.

Unless you soak them in a thousand layers of paint, you'll be fine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.