Painting OEM wheels, lets see them!

richphotos

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
I am getting ready to paint and restore the wheels on the trailblazer (going to sand corrosion off around the wheel weights and spray that area silver. One thing I was thinking about doing was some black accents on the low spots. What do you think of this idea?
Has anyone done something similar to this?
Top is OEM bottom is what I photo shopped
wheel%20before%20and%20after_zpsrvksut5b.jpg

richphotos

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
I should if all goes as planned and amazon ships the items as prime like they are supposed to, I should get that done this weekend.
I am going to do the black first, let that cure for a couple weeks before I scuff and spray some silver over the silver part to freshen that up.

(I am going to be doing all of this with the wheels on. Found a trick to cut a plastic garbage bag a way to put it behind the wheel. works great.

Reactions: Stryker11

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
BTW, Chrisfix just uploaded a video on how to fix aluminum wheels. Uses a flapper wheel on a Dremel. Could be useful during your cleanup if heavily damaged.

This one is for light scratches:

Reactions: richphotos

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's why I now ask for stick-on weights. Hidden on the inside.

Reactions: richphotos

richphotos

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
I think I might removed these before I refinish and paint them and then take it to a tire shop and have them re-balance and put the stick on weights.

I completely forgot about those things. Thanks for putting that thought in my head!

richphotos

Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
Thanks. They turned out great.
I am going to be getting new tires for it before winter so I am going to hold off on re-painting the silver part until next year so I can get the wheel weights on the inside of the rim and grind down the corrosion from those.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Very nice

Big B Jantzen

Aug 9, 2016
Enid, OK
Nice, I just got the KO2's with stock rims on the Voy. I want to paint mine as well. Glad this thread is here. Thanks guys!!!!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online