P0455

Ericw259

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I have a 2004 trailblazer with 126,000 miles and this code popped up about 2 days ago and i need help determining what it the problem.
Thanks
Eric

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
That's a EVAP emission system large leak code. Typically a bad purge or vent solenoid valve. "P0455", "purge valve" and "vent valve" are fruitful search phrases here and on the site we all used to hang out at - trailvoy. Have you done work like this on your vehicles before? Not terribly difficult, but without a high end scan tool or a detailed mechanic's diagnosis, you might install parts that aren't strictly required. But the parts are relatively cheap - maybe less than a precise diagnosis would cost. No easy DIY diagnostics other than suspecting both solenoids.

More reading in the manuals available here: Need service manuals? Get them Here!

Last edited by a moderator:

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
I had the same code last week along with a P0449 EVAP vent solinoid circuit malfunction. Purchased a new OEM AC DELCO gas cap $25 and the vent solinoid $49, MIL has stayed off for a week now.

Dealer wanted $59 for the vent solinoid, I asked them to do better since advance and auto zone could get me the same part next day for $45. Just goes to show there is wiggle room at the dealers.

Ericw259

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Do you think this is an issue i should get to asap or will it mess up other things if i do not fix it

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It's an emissions thing, not a driveability or mileage thing. If you defer the fix, Al Gore will cry, that's all. And you won't pass an inspection if you have those in your area. And if you get used to ignoring your check engine light, a more serious code could come along and you might not know it. Why would you put it off? Budget or you don't have a favorite mechanic?

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
Roadie hit the nail on the head, swapping those 2 parts literally took me less than 10 mins.

Disconnect the the battery for 30 mins and see if it comes back with the same code, could have just been a fluke. Not likely and if your still on the trucks original gas cap, that's probably the culprit itself.

xj2202009

Mar 27, 2012
finally got the smoke test done. gotta drop the tank. Im thinking is the seal around the fuel pump, is there a sticky on how to do this?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online