P0014 Code

D_Weave22

Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Hi everyone,

This is my first post I posted the same question on trailvoy but the only response I got was to come to this site.

Ive been dealing with the constant check engine light of P0014 on my 2002 Trailblazer for about 8 months now. I have done everything and this code keeps coming back to haunt me.

Here is what I have done:

- changed cam position sensor
- obviously changed oil with different better brands
- changed cam position solenoid ( twice once with aftermarket once with OEM)
- cleaned he screen
- checked voltage at the plug
- had my trusted mechanic look at it (he cant figure it out)

Being that I am due for inspection I need to get this code cleared for good so I will pass.

Has anyone had this issue, have you been able to solve it. I cannot count how many other threads I've read and no one seems to have an exact answer. PLEASE HELP

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Yeah I had this problem. How is your truck running?

D_Weave22

Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
The truck runs fine. I have noticed that when the engine light is off the truck has better acceleration. But other than that it runs fine even with the light one. Im assuming the better acceleration is due to the timing being correct instead of advanced.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Ok well I may not be of help after all, as your TB isnt doing the same as mine. But one thing I was told was to check the wire harness and plug to the CPAS and what your looking for is oil, you want to make sure the plug and wires are not saturated with oil as this may cause a continuity issue and possibly could cause your issue. This wasnt the case for mine but Im just throwin it out there for you. Hope this helps. FYI I got two bad OEM cam seliniods in a row, I chased my issue for a good 6 months the third OEM seliniod fixed my issue.

D_Weave22

Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Originally when the issued first occurred i took the plug out and noticed that there was oil on the contacts of the CPAS. I cleaned the oil out but had no luck thats when i bought an aftermarket CPAS. The problem went away for about two weeks then reoccurred. I let it go for months because i didnt care. But now with inspection coming up in two months i need to clear this code up. So i bought a oem CPAS and still having the same problem.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Are the wires to the plug oil saturated? Not just the outside of the jacket but inside as well. Has there been any new oil showing up in the plug? Like I said I had two bad bran new OEM Units in a row. So you never can be sure of those in my opinion.

D_Weave22

Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
There has been no new oil on the actual head of the plug or within the contacts of the CPAS. The wireharness for that plug is wrapped up in plastic but there is little to no oil on that. I put the new OEM CPAS in last week and just did a oil change yesterday. I also cleared the code. Hopefully that makes a difference. If not i might try one more CPAS.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
I seperated the plastic jacket to take a look at the color of the protective coating on the wires for the plug. I found mine to be discolored and that prompted me to go ahead and expose the wires to see if they were oil saturated. Glad I did because they were. You may not gave that issue but its worth a look.

D_Weave22

Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Thats a great point, i never thought of that. Thanks ill take a look at that tomorrow. What did you with the wires after you seen they were saturated?

MMechura

Dec 7, 2011
I have also had this issue and it continues. I have also replaced the CPAS with AC Delco, CPSensor with OEM, changed the oil to Mobil 1 and change it regularly. I have also replaced the pigtail (connector from the wiring harness to the CPAS). Otherwise my Envoy runs flawlessly. Without changing out the camshaft adjuster, I am at wits end. HELP!!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
MMechura said:
Without changing out the camshaft adjuster, I am at wits end. HELP!!
You may be at the upper limit of what a non-professional can do. A high end scan tool or a GM Tech II can command the cam phaser to any angle and see what's happening. Wiring deeper in the harness between the sensor or solenoid and the PCM may be the problem, or it may be a mechanical issue with the cam position actuator assembly, timing gear chain or gear train assembly. Time to consider using the repair savings fund.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
D_Weave22 said:
Thats a great point, i never thought of that. Thanks ill take a look at that tomorrow. What did you with the wires after you seen they were saturated?

I got a new plug with wire, went back as far as I could then soldered and heat shrinked the connections. Finally put all that back into the harness

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
MMechura said:
I have also had this issue and it continues. I have also replaced the CPAS with AC Delco, CPSensor with OEM, changed the oil to Mobil 1 and change it regularly. I have also replaced the pigtail (connector from the wiring harness to the CPAS). Otherwise my Envoy runs flawlessly. Without changing out the camshaft adjuster, I am at wits end. HELP!!

At one point I installed two bad CPAS both acdelco. It was finally the third one that wasn't bad. Just keep in mind just because it's new doesn't mean it works.

MMechura

Dec 7, 2011
TangoBravo said:
At one point I installed two bad CPAS both acdelco. It was finally the third one that wasn't bad. Just keep in mind just because it's new doesn't mean it works.
Thanks for the reply's, I think that's where I'm at too. I didn't mention but I have 230K miles on the original engine, I changed the timing chain at about 170K and really haven't had any issues except front end maintenance and normal wear and tear. I am extremely happy with this car. Changing the timing chain was a major PITA. I was getting a code, not sure what one it was now but it would not let me engage the cruise control. Once I changed out the chain all my codes and symptoms disappeared. With just the P0014, I don't have the cruise control locked out but I cant pass inspection either. Maybe I should bite the bullet and get to the stealership, I think they'll only charge $50 or $75 for the diagnostic.

D_Weave22

Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Since my initial post I have done a few things. First on further examination of my engine I noticed that my vent hose from my valve cover that connects to the air resonator had a significant crack. I fixed that issue which honestly could have no affect on anything but.... Since I attached that back, and changing my oil the light has been off.

Anyway getting to the point. There are a few reasons that the "professionals" at Chevy have mentioned. One of the main things is the wrong oil viscosity. Make sure if you are doing your oil change that you buy the proper oil (dont skimp). Secondly the timing chain can be loose. Third the sludge in the engine can be clogging the screens.

So officially for me I did a top down oil change with good oil, and made sure that the vent hose was properly connected. So far so good for me.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had this exact same problem with P0014. Did the same as you did and hit a dead end with the only thing left being the camshaft actuator. Changed it and that fixed it. Since it was a junkyard engine, I have no idea of the mileage but I estimate it is high since the inside of the engine had a lot of coked oil or oil changes were neglected.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online