Offroad conversion begins

andy702252

Original poster
Member
Dec 22, 2011
76
Okay so I have determined that I am going to give my TB an offroad look. Here are the things to keep in mind I am about 80 miles away from home ( away at college). I dont want a crazy lift. Some BFG AT are my choice and one of those cool looking steel bumpers with the recessed fog lights. I know absolutely nothing about offroad vehicles. This will still be an everyday driver with a bit of an edge. If you could advise the price and producer of the particular parts I will need that will be great. Any suggestions on rims also?
 

Me007gold

Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,106
MarkMC 2.5" Lift $165
Wheel Spacers $209

Chevy/GMC Leveling Suspension Lift Kit :: THE LIFT MEISTER

Shocks

Front/Rear $240

Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com

Install(if you cant do it your self) Right around $300



MBD Bumpers START at $350, the skys the limit from there

OffRoad TB - View topic - 2010 MDB Bumper / Rad Skid / Oil Pan Skid GB


Then you still need Rims/Tires if you want the H3, any where from $200-$1000 on craigslist
 

fadyasha

Member
Dec 21, 2011
1,134
Me007gold said:
MarkMC 2.5" Lift $165
Wheel Spacers $209

Chevy/GMC Leveling Suspension Lift Kit :: THE LIFT MEISTER

Shocks

Front/Rear $240

Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com

Install(if you cant do it your self) Right around $300



MBD Bumpers START at $350, the skys the limit from there

OffRoad TB - View topic - 2010 MDB Bumper / Rad Skid / Oil Pan Skid GB


Then you still need Rims/Tires if you want the H3, any where from $200-$1000 on craigslist

That's the way to go for sure!


---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.301504,50.177357
 

markmc

Member
Nov 20, 2011
161
i got ya covered bro, hit me up if you need suggestions or advise.
or visit my new site.
:thumbsup:

Always here to help, as several guys will confirm..
Customer service that you wont get from the big name lift company's...imo..
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,956
North Las Vegas
Champagne taste on a Shasta soda budget! Gotta love it!
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Get out the money...

MarkMC and BartonMD will take care of you. Damn good products from damn good people.
 

navigator

Member
Dec 3, 2011
504
If you want a barely noticeable lift, the lift from Rough Country is the ticket.
I have it and you can barely notice it is lifted but it helps a lot at the beach to keep from bottoming out in the ruts.
It also levels it out as well.
That lift wasn't enough for me so I bought a top spacer from Mark and rear Z71 springs (I sometimes tow) to get a little more lift.
As everyone told me from the start, I wish I had waited and saved and got Mark's 3 inch lift.

Once I get my wheel spacers I can fit 265/75/16 tires.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Or dont waste money on the RC lift and support a member, MarkMC, since his 2.5 modular lift will allow you to pick the amount of lift you want so you can just level using one of the two spacers...having both ensures one option should level you even if you have weak rear springs...or you can run both spacers and get the full lift plus it comes with the rear spacer you can run if you want to either keep the rake or sit you level with both spacers installed.

If you get marks kit you can level now and if you decide you want/need more height, you can add in the rest of the kit later.
 

navigator

Member
Dec 3, 2011
504
HARDTRAILZ said:
....dont waste money on the RC lift and support a member, MarkMC,.......

that is what I wish I had done. Also, you only want to deal with the spring compressors one time :smile:
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
navigator said:
If you want a barely noticeable lift, the lift from Rough Country is the ticket.

I explain how MarkMC's could be his best bet, then...
navigator said:
that is what I wish I had done. Also, you only want to deal with the spring compressors one time :smile:

So now I question...Why would you tell the OP that the RC is the ticket if if you wish you had gone with MarkMC's? It seems you promote what you got, but wish you hadn't, and then double back. Crap like that can lead to confusion.
 

Bartonmd

Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
Who, what? Somebody say my name??

Actually, for what he's wanting, mine is a pretty good example... More off-road worthy, but not so big or so tall that it really starts to kill gas mileage... It'll still do 18.5-19 on the highway, where it did 19.5-20, stock...

I just have the MarkMC top strut spacer (part of the 2.5" kit), my bumper and skid plates, and 87 springs in the front, and the Airlift 1000 airbags and some 1" spacers in the rear... Tires are on stock wheels, without spacers, running BFG A/T tires in the LT245/70-17E size... In order to keep my rockers in good shape, I made some "wife-resistant running boards" out of 2"x6"x3/16" rectangle tube, welded to the frame on 2"x2"x1/4" legs (they can and do support the weight of the vehicle)... I was going to make myself some round tube sliders, but the wife wanted "running boards" so I made some...

Mike

320377_260207130676789_170187876345382_857538_6688613_n.jpg
 

navigator

Member
Dec 3, 2011
504
HARDTRAILZ said:
I explain how MarkMC's could be his best bet, then...


So now I question...Why would you tell the OP that the RC is the ticket if if you wish you had gone with MarkMC's? It seems you promote what you got, but wish you hadn't, and then double back. Crap like that can lead to confusion.

yeah, my posts might not have been clear. I was saying if he wanted something lifted(with some additional clearnce) that didn't look lifted then use RC.

If he wanted something that looks lifted go with one of Mark's options.
I'm not satisfied with the height of the RC so I keep adding on.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
navigator said:
yeah, my posts might not have been clear. I was saying if he wanted something lifted(with some additional clearnce) that didn't look lifted then use RC.

If he wanted something that looks lifted go with one of Mark's options.
I'm not satisfied with the height of the RC so I keep adding on.

Still not understanding why he would use RC when Marks will do the same thing but offer more options? He can run just the top plate like Barton or just the inside strut spacer for a shade more or both. With Marks he can go with less than RC or the same as RC or more than RC.
 

jbones

Member
Dec 5, 2011
658
Bartonmd said:
Tires are on stock wheels, without spacers, running BFG A/T tires in the LT245/70-17E size...[/IMG]

Nice TB.
You’re not having any UBJ clearance issue with the 245/70/17 are you? I imagine you’re at 30.6. Strange how the TB's differ in that the standard OD max is said to be 30.5 w/out mods and spaces, and yet others have no issues with 30.6-7 w/out mods and spacers. I see you mentioned no spacers; did you do any grinding on the UBJ?
 

Bartonmd

Member
Nov 20, 2011
545
jbones said:
Nice TB.
You’re not having any UBJ clearance issue with the 245/70/17 are you? I imagine you’re at 30.6. Strange how the TB's differ in that the standard OD max is said to be 30.5 w/out mods and spaces, and yet others have no issues with 30.6-7 w/out mods and spacers. I see you mentioned no spacers; did you do any grinding on the UBJ?

No grinding, no issues... It has more to do with the particular tire profile than anything, I think...

OffRoad TB - View topic - 245/70-17 BFG All Terrain W/O Spacers...

DSC01268.JPG


DSC01269.JPG
 

JPZ

Member
Dec 4, 2011
34
This may help. I went with Marks lift and like a few others did not use the whole 2.5 in lift. I bought the whole lift but cut the 2in rear blocks down to 1in and installed them. I had the front lift installed in the springs up front but left out the half in spacer that goes up top the strut assembly. I figured if I wanted them in I could lower it and slide them in anytime. I dont really go wheeling but I needed to be able to go hunting and cutting wood with my trailer so really wanted some extra clearance. I was lowered and wanted to go back up so it seemed like a good time to put a little lift on. Here is a pic with one size bigger tires and give him a call he was more than willing to get me just what I wanted if I didn't want the whole lift.
View attachment 17917
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0423.jpg
    IMAG0423.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 9

fadyasha

Member
Dec 21, 2011
1,134
JPZ said:
This may help. I went with Marks lift and like a few others did not use the whole 2.5 in lift. I bought the whole lift but cut the 2in rear blocks down to 1in and installed them. I had the front lift installed in the springs up front but left out the half in spacer that goes up top the strut assembly. I figured if I wanted them in I could lower it and slide them in anytime. I dont really go wheeling but I needed to be able to go hunting and cutting wood with my trailer so really wanted some extra clearance. I was lowered and wanted to go back up so it seemed like a good time to put a little lift on. Here is a pic with one size bigger tires and give him a call he was more than willing to get me just what I wanted if I didn't want the whole lift.
View attachment 2791

That's just about the same size lift I got but I'm slightly higher in the rear. We got the same taste lol! I didn't wanna go too high either and by this saved myself from Bigger tires ,adapters, etc...

ed1c3629.jpg
 

JPZ

Member
Dec 4, 2011
34
It does not look like much but when I park beside a stock TB you can sure tell the difference. Like everyone says it all depends on you mission with the vehicle.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,438
Posts
639,262
Members
18,655
Latest member
Jaywebb25

Members Online