NV4500 blowing out fluid

Chilly

Original poster
Jan 16, 2016
Idaho
My NV4500 in my k3500 was rebuilt recently by ammco when I was a 1000 miles from home and had no other alternatives. She seems to shift and work just like it should, but for some reason there is internal pressure causing the fluid to be blown out around the shift stick and onto the ground. Out of concern about ammco possibly putting the wront oil in it, I drained the fluid and refilled it with 4qts of proper sychromesh (a mix of two different types of Redline, IIRC) right after I got home from that trip. Also, painted the gaskets under the boot with the dark, tar looking gasket sealer (Formagasket or something identical anyway). It did not work. On a 150 mile round trip yesterday oil was seeping out around the plate at the base of the stick shift, in addition to serious dripping on the the ground. What should I look at first? Is there a breather tube that might be stuck shut? Or something else? Any help would be appreciated. That fluid is expensive.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Even though this is out of a Dodge Truck... It is in the same Family of Gear Boxes as yours for the 1995 Truck and these Videos may hold some additional visual answers and spoken explanations by the VOP (Video Original Poster) during these Inspections, Tear Downs and Re-Builds...Especially where he discusses using, "Anaerobic Sealant":

Last edited:

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Is there any reason not to take it back to aamco for them to have a look at it? I thought their warrantee went coast to coast for the work they did. Let them finish the job they didn't do correctly.

Reactions: mrrsm

Chilly

Original poster
Jan 16, 2016
Idaho
Thank you gentlemen, for your replies. I'll check out the vids. Only problem with going back to AAmco is the distance to the nearest service center (400+ miles from current home). And I do have a problem with trust when it comes to someone else working on my vehicles. I just was caught in a bad situation and got stuck with them back then. Warranty should still be good. I'll give them a call and try to get their advice anyway.

Chilly

Original poster
Jan 16, 2016
Idaho
Apparently there is a breather valve or vent of sorts on the NV4500. Sits forward left of the shifter, with some kind of plastic cover inside the top cover of the transmission to prevent oil from being splashed out through the vent. Don't know yet if I can reach any of it without dropping the transmission.

But, one of the 4 shifter cover attachment bolts is stripped, which may be my problem. I think I will have to drill it and tap it to the next larger thread size. I distinctly remember telling Aamco it needed to be fixed.

They also did not give me an itemized list of what they did to the transmission or the clutch. (Like, did they replace the dual mass flywheel with a single mass wheel, or not? They told me they might have to do that. Yet, there is no balancer on the driveshaft. For sure, I feel like I was taken to the cleaners by that shop (over $6k), but they got me back on the road anyway. Going to call them tomorrow and ask about that, and request advice.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Keep the TIME-SERT Repair Kits in mind if it looks like you will need to oversize the Bolt Hole(s) in the Upper Cast Iron Casement. Here are some Examples of How This Quality Kit Actually Works...with the Repair(s) resulting in being able to continue to use the OEM Fasteners arrayed around the rest of the Perimeter of the Cast Iron Box within that repaired Bolt Hole:

Use a Large Neodymium Magnet to Trap Metal Drill Swarf (Dross) around the Work Area and likewise to prevent internal Transmission Contamination by filling in the STI Tap Flutes with Heavy Grease to capture the same damaging material. Replace the Contaminated Grease in the Flutes as often as necessary ...to keep the Job Immaculate.

Last edited:

Chilly

Original poster
Jan 16, 2016
Idaho
Thank you. I had never heard of these inserts. Makes sense to use them.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just be aware that they are pricey. A Heli-Coil may be better suited. Time-Serts are often used for head bolt holes, which is more critical to have pro torque and retention.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kraymates

Members Online