No Lighter Socket Power

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
This started just the other day, sudden, and I cant figure it out..

Wife crawled over center console to get into the back seat to feed baby, when she sat down, she kinda kicked the power port at the rear seat for my sons tablet (I heard it ding). Told her to watch her feet. Then a couple mins later the back port, and both front ports went dead.

I checked fuse 13 on the under hood fuse panel, good.
I plugged in my scanner to the OBD port, it powered up, good.
I took the power port thing, plugged it into another car, it powered up, good.
Checked that power was present at the fuse 13, there is.

What am I missing here?
I am not a good electrical diagnostician. Just an FYI.

Need these fixed, going on vacation here in a few weeks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had that. Wound up being the wiring was burnt. It was shorted to ground somewhere. Just one of the two plugs was working as well as the OBD port was out. I just cut off the dead wire and jumped from the working plug and cut off the OBD port and tapped into another 12V source for that. I remember it did that after using a plug-in heated cushion.

You're gonna have to pull the dash and check the wiring going to it/them (IIRC, the Envoys only have one plug). If your wire is dead or shorted, you'll probably have to run a new wire. Personally, I'd run a wire to a switched source.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Mine has 3 ports, 2 on the front dash, 1 on the rear center console. All 3 are dead. I need to get a test light and see if they have power, just no ground, or vice versa.

I am betting they have power still, as the OBD port has power, and no fuses are blown. Which would mean a bad ground.

I hate wiring!

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
IIRC there's also a set of fuses under the back seat. My center console stopped work months ago last weekend I traced it to the actual connector in the rear coming undone some how.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I will have to check it over the weekend. I have to take kids seats out of the truck.. Not a job I want to do either!

I did check to see if positive current was making it to the sockets, and it isnt.

Rechecked all fuses under the hood, and all are good, except one for the trailer connector, which I already knew about.

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That was it, fuse 46 in the rear fuse panel. Which promptly blew again.. unplugged the devices that were plugged in, replaced fuse again, all good. The rear power adapter for sons tablet was the culprit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online

No members online now.