NEED HELP No 4WD

gmac310

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Alright guys, I have a problem. My 4wd hasn't been working since last year and with winter approaching it's time to get it sorted. My service 4wd is on and turning the switch does nothing, it indicates a4wd but I know for a fact it's in 2wd. If I pull the under hood fuse, the front actuator moves and the encoder motor tries to move. I say try because it hums and buzzes 3 times and then stops so I figured it was a bad motor. Got new one and still no luck, I even tried to run it off the t-case with the same result. The next step was new switch, still nothing. Tried another TCCM from scrap yard with no luck either. I'm now thinking it might be a broken wire but with the limited access under there I can't get to the plug to test with a meter short of pulling the t-case. Is there some other speed sensor or some internal t-case failure that would cause the motor not to turn?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When you try to engage anything, do the lights do anything? Hear any sounds? When you go from 2WD to A4WD, you should hear the front actuator whir. And then, when you go to 4Hi, should hear the whir of the transfer case motor. Maybe try replacing the switch?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
He did replace the switch already.

You said the encoder motor buzzes but that's it. If you take it off the transfer case and try changing modes, does it spin OK disconnected from the transfer case? Can you manually change the transfer case mode with the motor off the side and turning the shaft on the case?

gmac310

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Did either of you two READ my post? Like I said, I tried a new switch, tried running the motor off the case and neither one makes any difference.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chriswilson5585

Members Online