Next project vehicle - thinking about this one...

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Been thinking about getting an F-body (2nd or 3rd gen) to fix up. I had a '75 Camaro years ago (ugly as sh!t, but it was a fun car to drive, and the only one I ever sold for more than I paid for it). Not looking for a restoration candidate - just something to maybe do an LS swap into, unless I find a good '70-'72 split bumper. Then I might do a full quality resto. But I doubt I'd find one of those.

So, anyway... I was perusing CL, as I look for M/T vehicles that I can 'dinghy tow' behind a motorhome / trailer (yes, IL allows 'triples'). And I came across this:

Wondering what your thoughts were on this car. Hard for me to determine a value, as it's set up for race (or, partially so). I'd probably keep it as a track car (but I'd probably still LS swap it). But I'm kinda thinking the *parts* are worth $6K, so... (btw, I'm more of a road course guy, rather than a 1/4 miler, so my emphasis (at the moment) is on handling over straight-line accel)

Never owned a Vette, so wondering what working on one is like, compared to the trucks I've been spending time with. I know they're lower to the ground, and the hood lifts forward, so you have fairly easy access to the engine bay. Other than that, I haven't a clue. Things look... tight?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had a '78 Z28 years as a young adult. 350 4 speed. Man it was a fun car. Still miss it :sadcry:

The Vette certainly looks like a cool project. An LS swap does sound interesting and doable. No BCM, minimal electronics and ability to tune as a standalone makes it easy in that respect. A massaged 6.0L can easily beat that stroker. There's gotta be someone out there that has already done such a swap that you could follow as a template.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I actually really like something about it. Just seems like it is headed in right direction and be fun!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Found a split bumper that might go for a reasonable amount...

As for that Corvette. It looks nice, and could be fun.. But looking at the wiring around the MSD box, I bet the whole car needs a rewire. I see electrical tape, cheap butt connectors, etc. I personally wouldnt buy it, but thats because the AC looks to have been pulled out. I dont buy anything that doesnt have AC.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Appreciate the responses, everyone.
@TollKeeper - I hate you... LMAO.

If the Vette would be setup for race / track, I can see why it doesn't have A/C (or heat). Wiring wouldn't be a deal-breaker, although it's personally not my idea of a good time... :hissyfit:

That said, I think I'm going to pass. This car would be down for a long time in the garage, and I need the garage for the other two vehicles, right now. So, from a practical standpoint, it's not the right time (might never be, given my space limitations). :sadcry:

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
@TollKeeper - I hate you... LMAO.
What I do??? I didnt do it! I just found a decent split bumper Camaro STICK SHIFT that has a bunch of work already done on it, including a serpentine belt mod, AC add on, new brake booster and master cylinder, with some Cragers?

I didnt do anything wrong! :smile:

Did I mention its from Colorado, so Rust is likely not an issue?

Edit: The more I look at it, the more I notice. Hood springs removed, and replaced for hood struts, with custom aluminum hings. Those have to be new inner fenders, or NOS. New brake proportioning valve, with home made brake lines. Does not have AC like I thought, but would not be hard to add with the Serp Belt mod. Completely reupholstered interior.

I mean honestly, the only thing I see it needs is a radio, and chrome window accents installed (missing on front/rear window). And then some minor front end re-work on the fenders, and maybe lower air valance.

P.S. - Yes you can bid on this car, you would have to get a account thru BidMaster or something, and then you are dealing with 2 sets of auction fees. Copart and bidmaster/whoever. Unless you have a dealers license?

Last edited:

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
P.S. - Yes you can bid on this car, you would have to get a account thru BidMaster or something, and then you are dealing with 2 sets of auction fees. Copart and bidmaster/whoever. Unless you have a dealers license?

Yeah... I went so far as to create an account... then found out I'd be spending $600 just to *bid* on the thing. Personally, I'd rather know what my fixed costs are, on something like that, as I'd wind up bidding the thing up to the moon. And then you mention *two* sets of auction fees? What are you, Dana Mecum (who collects from both seller *and* buyer) ?

I'm surprised you didn't mention that it appears to be a factory optioned (?) Z28. That thing is worth serious money, if it's for reals.

Of course, since you apparently (?) have the sunk costs of getting the bidding membership, etc... if you'd like to enter the bidding for the car, and then sell it to me afterward (I'd be fine with paying a 10% finders fee, plus your costs)... go right ahead! I'll be right up there with a trailer to haul her back to IL... and store her... somewhere :dielaugh:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Join the dark side. We have fun.
20200614_112030.jpg
If that car is gutted for racing it should weigh around 2700 lbs or so. An LS swap in that is easy but you have a lot of K member notching to do and switching offsets and fabrication. Its been done. But guy has a 6.0 making ~500hp. Its fun but he spent as much money on the swap as it would've to get similar power from what was there. No A/C (hard to do with the LS belt routing) it all comes out custom. Mines 3300 with me in it and according to ET and mph makes around 400hp. Its way more than enough for a fun car. A third gen is a much easier candidate for the swap imo. That 383 is also lighter than an iron block 6.0... guy was surprised to find that out when he did the swap.

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Of course, since you apparently (?) have the sunk costs of getting the bidding membership, etc... if you'd like to enter the bidding for the car, and then sell it to me afterward (I'd be fine with paying a 10% finders fee, plus your costs)... go right ahead! I'll be right up there with a trailer to haul her back to IL... and store her... somewhere :dielaugh:
I would actually be in the same boat as you. I dont have a dealers license, and would have to bid thru a 3rd party too, I can bid only on cars that dont require a license. Thanks for the offer, thou, but one Camaro (69 RS/SS) in the stable is enough for me.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online