New Phone Anticipation - Galaxy S3

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Bartonmd said:
And actually, I'm not a computer hardware guy, but am also a sparky by degree. It's my understanding that hard drives have the more full = more slow issue only because they spin at a set rate, and start recording at the outer part of the platter, which has the highest transfer rates. As you go inward, the drive is still spinning the same speed, but there are fewer bits per revolution. Not only that, but the heads have to move back and forth farther to read the information, as it's more spread out.Mike
Mike, that was true at one time, today using bit density, the sectors are relatively close in size, regardless of physical location on the platter. Spin speed is still a limiting factor, but catalog lookup for the data location and defraged sectors are the biggest factors in response.

Bartonmd said:
As far as I know, silicon recording media does not have this effect, as there are no mechanical parts involved in accessing data. There is a data rate that the memory chips can through-put, but for a given load, full or empty doesn't really matter to speed.

Mike
Still has the catalog and defrag problems. Speed is now a factor of clock speed.

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
kardain said:
Battery swaps are starting to go the way out as well. To achieve "thinness" the Android OEMs are slowly introducing non-removable batteries...
In case I was stuck on a plane without power ports *or* AVOD at the seat, I just got this 4000mAH external charging puppy before my previous Asian trip. Dead power ports are a big problem on Delta, and perhaps other carriers. Complaining after your trip might get you 5-10K FF miles in compensation, but doesn't help the boredom in case I run out of books and magazines. (I can't sleep on planes.)

View attachment 21698

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 69

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
My Droid X's battery just died about 2 hours ago, and I mean DIED completely. So Im left with $40 for a new battery or $200+ for a new phone. Great...

Im anti-Apple everything, yes they're stuff's pretty and all, but Im not a big fan of OS X (although I do run it on my HP laptop when I feel like it) and I dont like being price gouged at every turn. The MacBook Pro case is very cool, no arguments there, but it has inferior component options than what every other PC manufacture has. And costs $500+, sorry, lost me right there. Heck, my 17.3" HP cost me around $1200, I couldnt even option a MacBook Pro with as good of specs (slower i7 without VT-d and VT-x and a much worse Radeon HD) and it was already around $2500.

Now I will say Im sick of my Droid X, but Ive had it for 22 months now and want something new anyway. Was considering an iPhone, but the 4S isnt 4G and there are a bunch of other things Im picky about. And now I could wait for the 5, or get something now...

And Ive heard rumors that the iPhone 5 wont have 4G...definitely would be a stupid move on Apple's part, but I can see it going both ways.

But Bill, my current choice is a Razr Maxx because of the battery life, Ill check into the S3 again (havent looked at it except for the S2).

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ScarabEpic22 said:
My Droid X's battery just died about 2 hours ago, and I mean DIED completely. So Im left with $40 for a new battery or ...
...PM me your address if you want my spare and can live without the phone for as long as it takes priority mail to get to you. Or get one of those external battery packs I just posted about.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Lets get real You are all to old to understand the iphone :rotfl::rotfl:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:

:rotfl::rotfl: Didn't come out of my mouth!!

04xuv

Dec 3, 2011
am i the only one with a windows phone? the new os is awesome, and windows 8 should be even better.
personally, i'm anti-everything google. hated apple for a long time, but do recognize the quality they do provide. if you haven't tried a windows phone, give it a shot. it's a pretty slick os.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:

I'm young and dislike the iPhone. It's an overpriced overhyped piece of junk.

Bart says it best,
[video=youtube;CZGIn9bpALo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZGIn9bpALo[/video]

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
04xuv said:
am i the only one with a windows phone? the new os is awesome, and windows 8 should be even better.
personally, i'm anti-everything google. hated apple for a long time, but do recognize the quality they do provide. if you haven't tried a windows phone, give it a shot. it's a pretty slick os.

Yep, you and the person with Black Berry can be friends.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Yep, you and the person with Black Berry can be friends.

Dock that man a point for a low blow.... :smile:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
How many of you have jailbroken iPhones you have owned? jw
endless possibility you can even make it an android
View attachment 21701
did it just for you guys:biggrin:

Its like saying I had an SS but never floored it.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 33

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:
View attachment 7891

And I can make my android look like an iphone...

fWpgP.jpg

Although... The market icon in yours is a bit out of date...

0skbh.jpeg

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
One thing Android has really seemed to trump Iphone with. Our apps are not all kept on the home screens, we have an app drawer. Oh then you have that open source thing. Not to also mention the Devs, it is nice to have the ability to port any OS from any phone to any other android phone, as well as having newer versions of Android ported to older phones. I love the Android community with all of their development work.

It is also amazing what you can do with a launcher program.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
as well as having newer versions of Android ported to older phones. I love the Android community with all of their development work.

Exactly. I've had ice cream sammich (cm9) on my atrix since January-ish, and the official update won't be till this quarter (on paper).

Also, Themes without having to root/jailbreak, your choice of browser as a default, the punctuation on the keyboard not on the second screen... the #1 reason I got an android phone.... This last one bothered me on my iphone, and still does the one or two times a month I use it.

There are things Apple does right, but others where it is lagging.

But yeah, the patent trolling? Not cool.

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
OMG, I totally forgot I had one of the first lamest Pocket PC running Windows before Windows Mobile. Just after my wife and I had Palm OS Kyocera smartphones that were basically PDAs with phones. I'll have to put them all together in a historical picture soon. She wanted the Audiovox Thera because it had a color screen and all my Palm OS phones had were monochrome. Funny what you could spend $400 on in 2002 or 2003. Here's what it looked like:

View attachment 21705

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 66

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Porkins said:
I'm young and dislike the iPhone. It's an overpriced overhyped piece of junk.

Umm its the same price as the crapdroids!! :weird: Piece of junk? NOW them are fighting words :argue::poke::Boxin: lol

iphone_vs_android_ufc.jpg

android_vs_iphone-150x150.jpg

STLtrailbSS said:
View attachment 7891

Why is it every iphone user that jailbreaks there phone does not have a problem...man when I did it I had it crash on me every damn hour lol so I went back and never looked back.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
...PM me your address if you want my spare and can live without the phone for as long as it takes priority mail to get to you. Or get one of those external battery packs I just posted about.

I cant even turn it on because the battery is dead and you cant turn them on without a battery installed! Stupid...

Im leaving Sunday for Fargo, ND for 4 weeks of training, so unfortunately I cant wait longer than tomorrow afternoon. Think Im just going to get a Razr Maxx, I like the Galaxy S3, but just cant wait that long.

jsprewell

Dec 6, 2011
Bartonmd said:
And actually, I'm not a computer hardware guy, but am also a sparky by degree. It's my understanding that hard drives have the more full = more slow issue only because they spin at a set rate, and start recording at the outer part of the platter, which has the highest transfer rates. As you go inward, the drive is still spinning the same speed, but there are fewer bits per revolution. Not only that, but the heads have to move back and forth farther to read the information, as it's more spread out.

As far as I know, silicon recording media does not have this effect, as there are no mechanical parts involved in accessing data. There is a data rate that the memory chips can through-put, but for a given load, full or empty doesn't really matter to speed.

Mike

Spinning hard drives start recording on the inside of the platter. (you can see this with burned cds) Plus, they spin at different speeds depending on where on the platter the head is at. This is so the drive has the same read/write speed over the whole platter.

Relatively speaking, in modern drives, the distance the head has to travel is small and not too much of an issue. The issue now is how fast you can actually spin the drive without destroying it.

Solid State drives don't have this issue and already are faster.

The reason the device becomes slower as you put more stuff on it is the index table for the drive becomes bigger (says where all the files are located physically). This is what FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc is. Every time you access a file, it has to read where it is located.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Why is it every iphone user that jailbreaks there phone does not have a problem...man when I did it I had it crash on me every damn hour lol so I went back and never looked back.
Use rEdsnow its the most dependable. PM me if you have ?s if you try it again.

To roadies post
I loved my palm I was the coolest kid in high school with this one. :rotfl:
View attachment 21706
Treo 700wx

To the thread this debate is a draw and always will be you cant change fan boys
unless :undecided:
View attachment 21707

Attachments

• palm_treo_700wx.jpg
    palm_treo_700wx.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 61

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Umm its the same price as the crapdroids!! :weird: Piece of junk? NOW them are fighting words :argue::poke::Boxin: lol

I'll take a crapdroid anyday of the week. Atleast they don't have to have silly bands because the user don't know how to use it (apple blames the consumer for there poor design) .

View attachment 21708

Attachments

• case-apple-bumper.jpg
    case-apple-bumper.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 72

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
jsprewell said:
Spinning hard drives start recording on the inside of the platter. (you can see this with burned cds) Plus, they spin at different speeds depending on where on the platter the head is at. This is so the drive has the same read/write speed over the whole platter.

Relatively speaking, in modern drives, the distance the head has to travel is small and not too much of an issue. The issue now is how fast you can actually spin the drive without destroying it.

Solid State drives don't have this issue and already are faster.

The reason the device becomes slower as you put more stuff on it is the index table for the drive becomes bigger (says where all the files are located physically). This is what FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc is. Every time you access a file, it has to read where it is located.

CD/DVD start at the middle, and spin at different speeds depending on where the head is (CAV - Constant Angular Velocity). This is why they're noted as 48x MAX, because that's the fastest they spin. Hard drives start on the outside and spin 1 speed, and the outside is the fastest. This is why people and companies will often partition a large drive into a couple smaller drives, and just use the first partition. It's because it's the partition on the outside of the platter, has a faster data rate, and has a lower seek time. This is known as "short stroking". Seek time (which goes up as it gets fragmented) is also part of the reason that it gets slower as the HDD gets more full.

Hard disk drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Data transfer rate

As of 2010, a typical 7,200 rpm desktop hard drive has a sustained "disk-to-buffer" data transfer rate up to 1,030 Mbits/sec.[88] This rate depends on the track location, so it will be higher for data on the outer tracks (where there are more data sectors) and lower toward the inner tracks (where there are fewer data sectors);

How A Hard Drive Works
A typical hard disk drive design consists of a central axis or spindle upon which the platters spin at a constant rotational velocity.

I am also under the impression that the index is also on the platter, which means that it has to seek to the index for the location, then go get it, then find the next location. Silicon media only has clock cycles as the delay, there, not physically moving a head.

Mike

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Porkins said:
I'll take a crapdroid anyday of the week. Atleast they don't have to have silly bands because the user don't know how to use it (apple blames the consumer for there poor design) .

View attachment 7899

Those bands are something the user puts on kind of like a case...you know kind of like the ones you put on your phones except your case looks like a brick since its so big. Also that signal thing was years ago and has been fixed and never heard about it since, so cannot bring whats dead back to life :no: because if you want to play that game I can deff bring back ALLL those droids that died because of there poor quality...just sayin!

Ill keep my crapdroids in the toilet where they belong :wink:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Those bands are something the user puts on kind of like a case...you know kind of like the ones you put on your phones except your case looks like a brick since its so big. Also that signal thing was years ago and has been fixed and never heard about it since, so cannot bring whats dead back to life :no: because if you want to play that game I can deff bring back ALLL those droids that died because of there poor quality...just sayin!

Ill keep my crapdroids in the toilet where they belong :wink:

You come across like a whiny high school chick.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Android does get bad rep, when some no name companies release some POS device running android 1.2. Most of the time the device doesnt even have a conductive touch screen. You cannot blame Android, because some company makes something that runs their OS. Most of the phones fail because the companies are trying to find their niche in the market. It has always been this way with products, look back at the old flip phones. Companies had been trying everything they could to get a place in the market. Some failed miserably others succeeded. The phones are getting so much alike that it is creating a brand preference. Samsung guys will not like Moto for some reason, and HTC guys will not like LG for some reason. One thing we can agree on most Android guys do not like Apple, and vice versa.

Android in the OS, they have no meens of controlling who uses the product, its a Linux based, open source, free product (for the most part free).

I have seen alot of junk phones released, but at the same time the phones that do find their place stay. The week are weeded out in a process of natural selection. Then new released version of the successful phone bring better products.

You do know that the Arm A-series chips that alot of apple products use is a Samsung product.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
You should have the decency to respond(pick apart) his reasoning if you actually can find flaw in it.

HARDTRAILZ said:
You come across like a whiny high school chick.

Your the one who told me to respond if I find flaw which I did so I picked apart!!

blazinlow89 said:
Android does get bad rep, when some no name companies release some POS device running android 1.2. Most of the time the device doesnt even have a conductive touch screen. You cannot blame Android, because some company makes something that runs their OS. Most of the phones fail because the companies are trying to find their niche in the market. It has always been this way with products, look back at the old flip phones. Companies had been trying everything they could to get a place in the market. Some failed miserably others succeeded. The phones are getting so much alike that it is creating a brand preference. Samsung guys will not like Moto for some reason, and HTC guys will not like LG for some reason. One thing we can agree on most Android guys do not like Apple, and vice versa.

Android in the OS, they have no meens of controlling who uses the product, its a Linux based, open source, free product (for the most part free).

I have seen alot of junk phones released, but at the same time the phones that do find their place stay. The week are weeded out in a process of natural selection. Then new released version of the successful phone bring better products.

You do know that the Arm A-series chips that alot of apple products use is a Samsung product.

I agree!! Lots of phones that come out fail or continue to go on. Lucky for me when I picked up a droid it was one of the failing ones lol I am considering picking up the s3 (maybe) and giving it a shot and seeing how good it is. It deff looks like a cool phone, my only issue is how well it will perform and for how long.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
blazinlow89 said:

This...

Gj0d6.jpg

... Is junk.... It ranks high up there in my "buyer's remorse" list.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Your the one who told me to respond if I find flaw which I did so I picked apart!!

You said Yeah Rah Iphone a bunch, but never saw you respond with any data or logic defying Barton's well thought out and supported arguments. Could you clarify the flaws in the arguments you found and "picked apart" because I re-read and can't seem to find them or your pointing them out?

I did see the childish changing of the android name, but that is a flaw in your arguments.

The_Roadie

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If it's going to stay a civil and rational debate, I'd like folks to compare things that are at least in the same arena.

1) Compare iOS (5 or 6) to Android (2.2, 2.3, 4.0, etc.)

2) Compare available apps separately from the OS

3) Compare hardware it's running on

4) Compare voice and data providers you're using

To lump these attributes all into one label like "android" or "iPhone" fogs up the debate and tends to get dragged down into mudslinging. Offroaders are never going to lose a game based on mudslinging. :wootwoot:

[Note to self: That will shut 'em up. :tongue:]

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
You said Yeah Rah Iphone a bunch, but never saw you respond with any data or logic defying Barton's well thought out and supported arguments. Could you clarify the flaws in the arguments you found and "picked apart" because I re-read and can't seem to find them or your pointing them out?

I did see the childish changing of the android name, but that is a flaw in your arguments.

Ok changing name was childish Ill give it to you! But then again I am young so what is childish to you is something different to me. Not saying I am not mature for my age because I am.

The topic is bias if I say no this is better about the iPhone he will hit back with no its not because of this and we go back and forth...both are good platforms and do there OWN thing! It goes down to what your looking for in a phone. Yes the droids do more and you can customize a ton on it, but sometimes more isn't better. To some it is

the roadie said:

Or so you think lol

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
Ok changing name was childish Ill give it to you! But then again I am young so what is childish to you is something different to me. Not saying I am not mature for my age because I am.

The topic is bias if I say no this is better about the iPhone he will hit back with no its not because of this and we go back and forth...both are good platforms and do there OWN thing! It goes down to what your looking for in a phone. Yes the droids do more and you can customize a ton on it, but sometimes more isn't better. To some it is

OK, so... Nearly exactly what I said... That's much better than the fanboi "crapdriod in the toilet where they belong. iPhone does everything better" from before...

Mike

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
the roadie said:
If it's going to stay a civil and rational debate, I'd like folks to compare things that are at least in the same arena.

To lump these attributes all into one label like "android" or "iPhone" fogs up the debate and tends to get dragged down into mudslinging. Offroaders are never going to lose a game based on mudslinging. :wootwoot:

Here is for number 3... Two phones close enough to specs to be a fair comparison.

http://geekaphone.com/compare/Apple-iPhone-4S-vs-Motorola-ATRIX-4G

Ignoring the pre written determination and staying to hardware only, you decide.

First the iPhone does have better download speeds on at&t, but data caps... Speed and latency all depend on carrier, network congestion, etc.

Second, the atrix has 16gb built in and an sdcard slot that supports up to 32gb, storage is a moot point.

Gyroscope? Honestly, I don't see the point... But ok.

Atrix does have a faster processor, more ram... Also micro-hdmi out, but thats just a frill.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
This has turned into a who has cooler valve stem cover ricer fight. Pointless

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Bartonmd said:
OK, so... Nearly exactly what I said... That's much better than the fanboi "crapdriod in the toilet where they belong. iPhone does everything better" from before...

Mike

Well his there all a "piece of junk" comment wasnt any better...but thats done and moving on now.

If I get the money ill prob go pick up a s3 and play around with it and see how it runs. Still going for the iphone 5 but for now till then ill play around with a s3 if I get it

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I see your Crapdriod and raise you a I-Douche :raspberry:. Yes I do own a I-Touch. Have owned it for more than a year, and I have used it a total of 2 times.

My simple arguements for Droid over I-Phone is:

The open source allows you to find an app that you like. If the first one doesnt do what you want, more than likely there is another 20-30 apps (or more), and one of them might do what you need it to. I-Phone, not so much.

A removeable SD card makes it alot easier to transfer files with a freind, which I-Phone does not want, like, or allow.

For someone that doesnt want to take the risk of breaking their phone while trying to just replace a battery...

I love my Mini-HDMI out. I can put a couple movies on my 64G card, or just stream using my HBO and MAX go apps, while sitting at a Hotel. Althou the Iphone has a cable that will allow you to connect RCA's to whatever TV you have. But that isnt HD. And my Droid phone allows me to charge it, while streaming. No I-Phone does that.

I dont have to use BloatWare (I-Tunes) just to manage what is on my phone. Just use my windows manager, like a -normal- person would use Windows.

Rooting does not void my warrenty! Jailbreaking does, if the store knows about it.

Now I do have a complaint about Droid. If you download and install an app that Google does not want you to own, they can physically remove it from your phone, without your permission, or delete, and format your phone, at their will.

And finnally...

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
In-Before-the-Lock.gif

drkhead

Jun 26, 2012
the roadie said:

Am I really the only one here who has a decent iphone? Mine's jailbroken which is the way it NEEDS to be, as is all my iOS devices (itouch & ipad2) and would NEVER own a crapple product unless it was jailbroken. That way, I get the best design out there (IMHO), one of the fastest, AND I can install all those apps that you guys have on your Android.

Hell, I even installed Honeycomb onto my iPad2 because iOS is absolutely worthless as a tablet OS (unfortunately, port is very poor graphical quality, and I'm still back on iOS).

But I guess I'll continue to be the only person here with a vertically-scrolling iphone. I still don't understand why Apple doesn't allow this and FINALLY caught onto categories, which was being done in the JB community since their 1st gen!

The fact is, this needs to be open-source. People like freedom.

Until then, I'll be jailbreaking every apple product, just because I can and because I like the way their products look the best, period. Once you break it, it becomes whatever you make of it.

Your hardware arguments are definitely valid. I prefer less moving parts & less openings in my phones though. I always seem to break them otherwise.

(as for my home computers, I'm always PC-based btw)

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
drkhead said:
, AND I can install all those apps that you guys have on your Android.
!

Your challenge: install Tasker on your ios device.

drkhead

Jun 26, 2012
kardain said:
Your challenge: install Tasker on your ios device.

oooh I like this challenge. First, to figure out what the hell that app does!

To clarify though: many apps that are of importance on Android are not necessarily ported to the iOS, but recreated by some freelancer who feels it necessary.

So I may have overstepped my reach when I said "ANY app that you guys have"!

After looking up what Tasker does, it looks like some of its' abilities are already done (well some through jailbroken apps at least).

The point I would make, is software should be virtually limitless. If I want to move a button around on a screen, I should have the ability to do so, or the ability to write the program to make it do so. Apple has failed in that respect. That being said, I would still rather jailbreak an iphone than have any of their competitors' models. Because once you have an open-source, the product is whatever you make it. In my opinion, Apple's progress is immensely limited by their closed-source platform.

They have become the company they hated. [video=youtube;OYecfV3ubP8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8[/video]

I just try to make their product into what they SHOULD be :wink:

cameeks

Jun 23, 2012
Hey Roadie. I got mine on the 27th and I love it. Still have to figure out what everything does. I upgraded from a galaxy 1 that had the 2.2

I'm staying out of the debate because I have my own going on at work :biggrin:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Windows iPhone
aee5c291-43c3-d7e3.jpg

Android iPhone
aee5c291-43dc-4706.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee