New GM 2.7 liter 4 cylinder for upcoming Silverado's

cornchip

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Never thought I'd see the day when a four would be found under the hood of a full size truck.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...cyl-can-operate-2-cyls-cuts-80-lbs-v6-288113/

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/c...ts-optional-turbocharged-four-cylinder-engine

dims

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Great, and we'll have some idgit put a fart can on it.

Reactions: Capote and Redbeard

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
funny thing though-in the mid '70's most small block GM v8's were only pushing 140-160 h.p. (at least Grandpa's 1974 malibu that is) while my 1991 nissan pu pushed 140 hp. with the little 2.4l engine (pushing like 1 hp per cube which wasn't common in the '70's but minimum the past 25 years), so admittedly I don't like the "sound" of a four banger in a pick up, it's more reasonable than first emotions show. Admittedly I still vote for a v8 as my ram has (I did have recent stick shock when I started researching changing the plugs to iridium like we use on this platform for it has 16 plugs - two per cylinder-with two different heat ranges go figure that one right? Cheapskate me definitely wants to purchase 16 iridium plugs while they are on sale) All of a sudden this four banger sounds more reasonable choice.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
For some 1/2 ton buyers (the ones who have an unblemished bedliner under a shiny tonneau), this could make sense.

For the rest of us, look for V8 trims to get even more outrageously expensive :sadcry:

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

paul2005tb

Nov 26, 2014
Massachusetts
The turbo charging of a 4 cylinder engine is a great idea if you want to record high hp and torque per cubic inch on a bench. But you are compromising the longevity and durability of the engine. And for what reason? .. to lose 80bs of weight ?. Just a bad idea. Also Id like to see the hp and torque cruves to see what rpm that turbo 4 cylinder is giving those high numbers at. Id rather own a bigger engine running at 2k rpm than a 4 cylinder running at 4k.

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Well, it depends. If the engine is designed for turbo from the ground up it is probably OK. Semi trucks are all turbo diesel, for example. Many are only 6 cylinders also.

Reactions: Redbeard

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I didn't read the linked articles (shame on me), but I came across another article about this in jalopnik (google feeds me things it thinks I'd like to read)

Anyway...the big news to me was an upcoming 3.0L diesel - six cylinders - INLINE
You just know they'll put a turbo on it before long - and then you've got something, IMO

The only bad thing is that it'll be a DEF engine like all new diesels...and if you don't pony up for it, eventually the motor is disabled till you fill the DEF tank.

So now GM is going to do the Ecoboost thing...lol. Guessing the aftermarket will go nuts for this 4-pot, the same as the did w/ the EB motor.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Found this video and it also explains all trim levels, engines and trannys. This includes the diesel 3.0L

Reactions: Eric04 and Redbeard

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Just doesn't make sense to use this is a full-size.... They should of just used this as a step-up from the current inline-4 option used in the Colorado's.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
CAFE standards. Always CAFE. Check out where 1/2-ton needs to get to by 2025...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpo...omy#Agreed_standards_by_model_year,_2011–2025

With 350-500K half-ton pickups being sold every year by GM, they need as big a cushion as they can get, to counter all of the V8-equipped ones they sell. Next to go would be the 5.3 - the 4.8 or something like it would become the V8 option for the 1/2 ton.

I think 3/4 ton are exempt from CAFE, else the 5.3 will become the base engine there, replacing the 6.0.

Now, if those standards get repealed / relaxed (there's talk of it happening; I won't go into the merits / costs, just that it's being discussed), then you might see this engine pulled at the MMC, and GM goes back to a 6-cylinder as the base. (and if that happens, residuals on any 4-banger 1/2-ton are going to fall like a rock off a cliff).

cornchip

Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Engine choices seem limited to trim levels big time with the new Silverado. I kinda like the Custom Trail Boss package, but with a base AFM 4.3 V6 and optional AFM 5.3 V8 you would not have the option to get the turbo 4 or new diesel 6. That means no 8 or 10 speed automatic. Far too limiting for somebody who buys for power train alone in a stripper package.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I finally watched the vid that Mooseman linked to - and I have to say, I failed to give GM a bit of credit they deserved.

I personally wouldn't get the 4-cylinder, but I can see it being a *somewhat* viable option now, given the specs / engineering (just watch the video, and save me from a page of typing...LOL)

The V6 and V8s are going to be geared toward volume / fleet, from what I see.

That diesel with the 10AT looks like the real sweet spot. You have to go LT and up to get it, but I think that'd be the one to go for. And it has idle-cutoff as well (all of them do), which should really help w/ fuel economy (and no AFM!) One can be a pretty efficient driver if they don't have take the 0 mpg hit while idling in traffic. And when you need the TQ / power, it's there (even more so when it gets a turbo).

I was very surprised to see the 6.2L as an option for the high dollar trims. I shudder to see the price tag on a fully-optioned High Country - maybe close to $70K ? For a 1/2-ton pickup? That has a bow tie in the grille?

I *still* don't like the truck in side profile, though. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
But just like any new tech, don't buy it for the first couple of years. Look at AFM when it debuted. LOTS of problems. I think it has proven itself now bit this new DFM looks sketchy. And with a Turbo, that's a lot of moving parts to play nice together.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Actually just took a 17 Tahoe on a trip and I can still hear the dod tick when it cycles

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Proof will be in the pudding. Another flop oil eating engine from the 07-14 Era or similar to the new ecotec motors which STILL USE OIL but not as much... Time will tell.

Sad I can't recommend my preferred brand to average people because of oil consumption and the plethora of issues they aquire from low oil. If it gets checked often it'll be fine but your average buddy or average consumer never opens their own hood. The ship has sailed upon purchase.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Except other brands can and do use oil too.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Or you could be BMW and make the transmission sealed...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online