Need to remove the fan and shroud and need some clarification

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I need to replace my AC pulley bearing and I need to remove the fan and shroud to get enough room to do so.

My Haynes manual mentions when removing the fan and shroud as a unit that a special GM tool 46406 is required, but then makes no mention of its use in the actual procedure. What is this tool and is it really actually needed?

It also isn't very clear when it comes to the part about actually removing the shroud and fan. It says to tip the radiator and condenser forward to gain more room, but it doesn't say HOW the radiator is mounted that allows it to be tipped forward.

Can anyone clarify? Or maybe, is there an easier way to do this job without having to screw around with the fan and shroud?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
You are in luck my friend just did the procedure of removing my fan/shroud to gain access to the water pump.

The special tool will make your life easier, I promise.

Kent-Moore J-46406-A Fan Clutch Holding Wrench

We rented a universal one from autozone, and while it was oversized it did the trick. It had a large wrench that went flat against the side of the bolt heads to hold the water pump in place and to keep it from spinning against the belt. The smaller wrench I want to say is between 1 3/8" and 1 1/2", so a metric equivalent. We used a BFAW (big f**king adjustable wrench) and a piece of pipe to break that nut loose.

Now the upper core support has 4 bolts holding it to the chassis, 2 on each side. Take these bolts out, there are spacers/shims in each hole, 2 are under the support brace. Now there is a rubber piece holding the top of the radiator, it is attached to the hood release latch, remove the latch from this piece, 3 bolts total. Now attached the the bracket that holds the rubber brace are 2 pieces of metal going down to the top of the bumper, there is a single bolt holding this in place, it is on the back side dead center of the bumper about an inch above it. This should get the center support out.

Now for the shroud there are 2 bolts holding the top of the shroud to the radiator. There are a couple hoses clipped to the back of the shroud about midway down, just pop these out of place. You will also need to remove your upper radiator hose to get enough space. I will try to find an under hood pic to do some labeling for you.

Guano

Jan 4, 2012
When I changed my water pump I took a cut off wheel to about 3/4" off the top of the shroud... unbolted I was able to wiggle the fan & detached clutch out, with cardboard protecting the radiator (Definitely needed) I am oldschool & was Cussing FIN cad aholez the whole LONG afternoon I don't think I'd recommend this Friggin route but it is possible. Temp gauge did rise to under 200deg. From 190..... at the time I didn't find any of this info on the OS. Hope this helps somebody...

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012

Attachments

• support bracket.jpg
    support bracket.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 17
  • hood latch.jpg
    hood latch.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 11
  • rad drive side.jpg
    rad drive side.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Rad pass side.jpg
    Rad pass side.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 11

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I'm wondering if I can get to that AC pulley from below and avoid the hassle of removing everything. My luck is I'd take it all apart, get it all back together, and then my clutch would die a couple weeks later and I'd be pulling it all apart again :crazy:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I looked under there today as my AC is acting up, it looks like there is clearance but not much for working space. This really is not that bad to perform, just alot involved.

Mar 29, 2012
Old thread... but if you're still looking for help...

Just replaced water pump. The AC pulley is right next to it. Remove the fan and shroud. You'll have so much more room to work.

Like others said, the shroud gets hung up on the upper radiator hose neck. I didn't bother with the numerous bolts to tip the radiator, I just cut a notch in the shroud to allow it to pass the neck with ease. I used a pneumatic recipricating saw and cut it with ease.

pneumatic tools are heaven on earth.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Well I haven't done anything yet. I think I'm simply going to tear it out of there and install some efans next month :biggrin:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Now that's a plan! Trust me, you'll love the space :thumbsup: I swapped my alternator in 30 minutes flat!

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
When I did my water pump, I didn't need to loosen the radiator to get the shroud out, just sucked a little coolant out of the radiator into a clean bottle so I didn't make a mess when I pulled the hose. Just make sure its not too cold so the shroud plastic isn't brittle, and you can bend it enough to pop it over the neck. Really was easier than I expected it to be. I borrowed a set at autozone to remove the supersized nut on the fan, but it wasn't the right size, but I was able to use one enough to hold the nut still while using an adjustable wrench to turn. That was the hardest part. If you can find the right sizes to do that part, it would certainly help.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
The radiator neck did not help at all, but with some maneuvering it came out.

I rented the tool from autozone, it had 2 wrenches, one was 1 7/16", the bigger one was 2 1/4" if I remember right. The smaller wrench was a bit to big, but with a set of channel locks and a pipe we got it off. The larger wrench slide over the bolt heads holding the water pump pulley. The box said it was for a Bronco and a bunch of other fords. It was the one that came up in the computer.

:thumbsup: wish i had the extra cash for the e-fan setup.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Hope these help, I can give more descriptions if needed.

Also the lower rad mount bolt is directly dead center behind the bumper. It is large I think it was 14MM.[/QUOTE]

Its a 13 mm :smile:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
DFWWIZ said:
Hope these help, I can give more descriptions if needed.

Also the lower rad mount bolt is directly dead center behind the bumper. It is large I think it was 14MM.

Its a 13 mm :smile:[/QUOTE]

I was guesstimating, could not remember the exact size.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.