Need help with steering rack!

ecristobal10

Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
I have a 2003 trailblazer LT model (non EXT) I needed my rack and pinion changed so I bought a used one from eBay. Said it came off a 2007 trailblazer LS. Everything went fine except that power steering line wouldn't fit. The sending and return line are in different position in the new rack. Is this normal? Am I supposed to get a 03 rack and pinion? Here's some pics (the rusty ones is the old part.) you can see that the rusty one has the bigger holes on the right side and the new one has them on the left side :undecided:

ecristobal10

Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
here are the pics: SORRY REALLY BIG
20140601_203420.jpg

20140601_203433.jpg

20140601_203404.jpg

20140601_203446.jpg

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Part numbers should be the same for all except EXT and SS.

ecristobal10

Original poster
Mar 25, 2014
right, and the part at ebay says it came from a 2007 tb ls. so it should be the same... so what is it different, weird

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's because GM changed the design of the seal that goes into the pressure hose fitting. 02 and part of 03 used the same seal as what is in the low pressure return fitting and then changed it. You have two options. 1. Get a new seal that goes into that hole from GM or 2. Get a new pressure hose with the new design fitting on it (on RockAuto, they call it alternate design).

Reactions: BlazingTrails

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Well Mooseman, that explains it... The bastard early models had some good and bad with them...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you look at your original r&p, you will see that there is a seal in both ports. The 07 r&p has a seal only in the low pressure return port. You have to put in a seal in the pressure port the same as your original. There might be an o-ring in the 07's port that you might need to take out that was left in there from the donating truck's pressure pipe fitting.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you look at your original r&p, you will see that there is a seal in both ports. The 07 r&p has a seal only in the low pressure return port. You have to put in a seal in the pressure port the same as your original. There might be an o-ring in the 07's port that you might need to take out that was left in there from the donating truck's pressure pipe fitting.

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
In order to run the new updated seal one must purchase the correct hard line (has a different design that incorporates an actual o-ring instead of the little aluminum/rubber seal that looks like a miniature derby hat). The old seals stick in the bore of the rack. They must be popped out to install the new line.

Also, the metal hold-down tab will require a bit of modification to work with one old line and the new replacement line. It is VERY helpful to secure both lines into the tab and use a nylon wire tie to hold them in place (secure both lines into the slotted hold down tab and hold them together), then install both as a unit. Make sure the seals are lubed well with PS fluid (not some other oil that could have a reaction). Once the general idea is in mind, the actual install goes easy. Just pop them in and use a 1/4" drive ratchet with an extension to set the hold-down bolt into place.

alupparelli

May 1, 2012
Hi all,
It is a pleasure to share with you valuable information about our Trailblazers.
Need for inner wear and oil leak, replace the P&R of my Trailblazer LTZ Year 2002 4WD no-EXT.
RockAuto sells remanufactured by one ACDELCO (36R0410 - #19320508) - with 14mm diameter for inner tie rod, equal to mine.
My question: What other considerations need to know to buy the P&R appropriate to serve to my Trailblazer?
Thx
Adrian L.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online