My wife has asked me to look at the HU. It whines.

rywegh

Original poster
Jul 4, 2012
I have an aftermarket head unit in my TB. My wife is driving it right now and asked to see if I can fix the whine she hears when listening to AM radio. I have seen some of the posts about bose amps and bad grounds... but in those cases did they hear the whine on AM only or across the board. I have to pull the HU out to check that antenna is snug, what else? I never noticed as I only listen to am if riding with my dad.:biggrin:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I would have thought that a whine would be heard through both AM and FM. "Normally" the whine would indicate a ground issue...I'm at a loss.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
There are certain frequencies of whines that only interfere with the AM band. The noise is most likely being injected through the antenna; certainly not at the amplifier section or speaker wiring. Check the antenna at both sides. I don't know if you have the mast antenna or the one built into the glass.

But seriously, what's she find to listen to on AM anymore? Hog futures reports? Certainly not good music or reasoned political debate. :confused:

Added: Also make sure the whine is proportional to engine RPM, so you know it's an electrical interference issue. Could be engine grounding.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Mine wines ...u can hear the turning signals....the acceleration...window going up and down. Its crazy. All I do for a quick fix is put the rear entertainment system on rfor a few min and turn it back off. Then usually the whine goes away.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spellman1989

Members Online