My SS conversion

bmartinezx3

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
I decided to do a conversion on my LT. I have been doing research for a while and saving up for everything and saturday i finally went through with it.

I posted a ad on craigslist saying i want TBSS parts and someone called me with a front bumper cover for $150.

Then i got on tbssowners and found a salvage yard in houston with 3 tbss's so i drove down that same day and picked up rear bumper, ss rockers, and ss cluster for $510.
Went online and ordered front bumper spacer on ebay, and ordered both brake duct inserts and fascia braces from rock auto about another $150ish for all that
View attachment 26384
View attachment 26385
View attachment 26386
View attachment 26387
everything is gonna be painted and installed for $350 along with painted dash so im really excited to get it done.

Now all i need is foglight assemblies, grille/crossbar, and the lower middle grilles that go by the fogs and in the inserts, if anyone knows where to get them i would really apprecitae the help.

I placed an offer on some used camaro fog lights on ebay which i've read should work. MORE TO COME!!!

Attachments

• tbssrbphoto 1-7.jpg
    tbssrbphoto 1-7.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 39
  • tbssblthoto 2-4.jpg
    tbssblthoto 2-4.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 37
  • tbsspartsphoto 3-2.jpg
    tbsspartsphoto 3-2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 37
  • tbssclusterphoto 4-2.jpg
    tbssclusterphoto 4-2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 378

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
dang.. youre keeping your costs down pretty good... good find on all those used parts... $150 for a front bumper... thats unheard of for that cheap.. unless its really jacked up lol... subscribed for pix of the completed project...

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Good deals! Looking forward to seeing it finished.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
that is junkyard heaven. 3 tbss's, and the even put a trashbag under the broken window to keep it clean inside, i'm shocked.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
jimmyjam said:
that is junkyard heaven. 3 tbss's, and the even put a trashbag under the broken window to keep it clean inside, i'm shocked.

Agreed....around here its hard as hell to find an ls or lt let alone an ss.

amweaver47

May 15, 2012
Cool project. Out of curiosity, what are your wheel plans?

djez015

Jan 28, 2013
Wish i could find those kind of parts

bmartinezx3

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
thanks for all the positive feedback guys. yea this is all definitely on a budget, the bumper had a REALLY SMALL crack by where the brake duct clips on but the guy i bought it from has a shop that repairs oem bumpers so he fixed it for me before i bought it.

Actually all 3 of them had decent interior i think they were asking $700 for a set of seats and he would throw in the door panels too sense he had 3 of them.

If i remember correctly i actually read one of jrSS's threads on tbssowners about the cheap brake ducts on rockauto, so thanks for the info man!

As for wheels, I've had SS wheels for a while now but they have that whale jizz cracks in the clear coat so i might strip and polish or just powder coat gloss black not sure yet.

UPDATE: my $25 ebay offer was rejected lol so i got on craigslist and found a guy with camaro fogs for $20 so i made an 1hr drive to pick them up, i already have 880 hid's which should fit into these fine just have to find out how to mount them :wootwoot:
View attachment 26402
also my stock SS shocks came in today that i bought off tbssowners for $45 shipped, ill put them on soon
View attachment 26403

I'll try to attach at least one picture each time i update. thanks again for the support!

Attachments

• tbssfogsphoto 2-5.jpg
    tbssfogsphoto 2-5.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 31
  • shocksphoto 3-3.jpg
    shocksphoto 3-3.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 27

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Keep it going bro :thumbsup::thumbsup: I might have to take a trip out there for the door panels. I've been thinking about converting my interior from gray to ebony. Hope they aren't asking for too much $$$

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
You've done a terrific job hunting parts and it looks to be a fun project and having done this sort of thing I get the challenge thing,the only downside I see(imho) is that you will have an SS with a six,kind of a reverse on the old "sleeper" thing...because it really will be sleeping...interesting :undecided:...Mike.

djez015

Jan 28, 2013
ha that same thought crossed my mind as to why i would prob just do a small conversion to mine I would hate to meet a srt8 jeep or worst a rice honda and give the tbss a bad name

amweaver47

May 15, 2012
I guess instead of being a TrailBlazer SS it could be a TrailBlazer ZZ.

It will look sick even if it's asleep more than it's a sleeper.

Edit: Plus if you install nitrous it will do a wheelie in 3rd gear on sand. Learned that from Fast and Furious today.

bmartinezx3

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
northcreek said:
You've done a terrific job hunting parts and it looks to be a fun project and having done this sort of thing I get the challenge thing,the only downside I see(imho) is that you will have an SS with a six,kind of a reverse on the old "sleeper" thing...because it really will be sleeping...interesting :undecided:...Mike.

I understand why some might not like conversions but as a 19 y/r full time college student and working for a little more than minimum wage doesn't allow me the privilege of owning a real SS.
Also due to bad experiences i dont race. So instead of getting in over my head with a $20k loan, i'll build my i6. After this i'll have about $6000 total invested in it. Not bad, considering my truck will look better than most on the road. :twocents:

Plus there is always my corvette in case i really have an itching for speed. IMO
View attachment 26412

Attachments

• vettephoto-6.jpg
    vettephoto-6.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 28

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Nice work so far :thumbsup: I didn't see badges on your list and IMO that's a good thing, please don't misbadge a non-SS

BTW: Nice Vett :thumbsup:

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
i saw that same post on the other site and wished i lived near houston.what did they charge for a the cluster or did you have that allready?

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Don't forget when you send everything to paint, to either sand your mirror covers or get some smooth ones and paint those too.

As for badging, I really like the look of the RS badges some people have come up with

bmartinezx3

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
SBUBandit said:
Don't forget when you send everything to paint, to either sand your mirror covers or get some smooth ones and paint those too.

As for badging, I really like the look of the RS badges some people have come up with

I had my covers painted along with inner door handles when i had my bumpers touched up last year(same guy) but i might tell him to retouch them.

Not gonna lie, i already have SS badges on my truck but they are coming off when the bumpers go on and hopefully i'll be replacing them with GMC Texas edition emblems. I saw them on TexazReece's truck and they look nice but that will be later.
BTW SHOUTOUT to TexazReece!! He hooked me up with an SS exhaust for the project, not exaclty sure if they it will work with mine but it is greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Here's some pics:
View attachment 26427

UPDATE:
I went to visit my painter today to drop off some money and a took a few pics. yes i know his shop is kinda ghetto but incredibly good prices and good work. Rear bumper is primer'd and yes.... it's shaved :cool:
View attachment 26428
Front is painted but i saw some imperfections that he still has to address.
View attachment 26429
i forgot to mention but when i went to the salvage yard they threw this ss dash plug in for free. soon, along with the rest of the dash, it will be painted to match the outside.
View attachment 26430

oh and i paid a package price for the parts at the salvage yard but the original prices were $300 for bumper(everything included) and $150 for the cluster with 42k miles on it. he was asking $80 for each rocker but all i had was $510 exactly so he accepted that. the RPM gauge is acting weird as you can see in the picture but i think it's cause i need to recalibrate it? idk but thats not a big deal to me right now
KEEP POSTED MORE TO COME

Attachments

• ssmufflerphoto 5-1.jpg
    ssmufflerphoto 5-1.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 24
  • rearshavedphoto 3-5.jpg
    rearshavedphoto 3-5.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 25
  • frontpaintedphoto 4-4.jpg
    frontpaintedphoto 4-4.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 26
  • tbssplugphoto 1-8.jpg
    tbssplugphoto 1-8.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 304

mrphoenix80

Jan 1, 2013
bmartinezx3 said:
the RPM gauge is acting weird as you can see in the picture but i think it's cause i need to recalibrate it?

Is it up there all the time? These clusters are known for bad motors. Replacements are cheap on ebay. Then with a bit of soldering, you will be good to go.

amweaver47

May 15, 2012
When you say the dashboard will be painted, do you mean it will be painted red to match the exterior of the truck?

bmartinezx3

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
mrphoenix80 said:
Is it up there all the time? These clusters are known for bad motors. Replacements are cheap on ebay. Then with a bit of soldering, you will be good to go.
when i first bought it was working fine and then the next day it was basically upside down. it still moves and reacts when i drive but the needle is pointing down all the time. i might pull the fuse(#24 i think) to make them reset and hopefully that will fix it

amweaver47 said:
When you say the dashboard will be painted, do you mean it will be painted red to match the exterior of the truck?

Yes i am getting the dash panel where the cluster and radio/ac knobs go painted to match the outside and also painting the passenger airbag cover and shifter trim. My plan is to later get someone to pinstripe my truck's name on the air bag cover. Her name is Ruby btw :wink:

amweaver47

May 15, 2012
I can't think of a fitting name for mine. I call it lots of names when I work on it but none that I would consider fitting.

Anyway, It should look pretty sweet all said and done. I really like the shaved rear bumper. Great job on keeping the thread updated too.

djez015

Jan 28, 2013
so are new mounting brackets 100% needed for the bumpers

bmartinezx3

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Thanks i came up with the name randomly and it stuck.

djez015 said:
so are new mounting brackets 100% needed for the bumpers

No. from what i've read some stock TBSS's came without them, from factory. But without them your bumper and foglights will shake really bad with each bump on the road. they are only like $25 a peice new plus shipping or you can make your own out of a peice of thin sheetmetal, like some of the guys on tbssowners

bmartinezx3

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
Update:
Got home from work just now and pleasantly surprised to find my Brake ducts from rockauto have arrived. still waiting on the brackets and then ill be ready for install.
View attachment 26453

Attachments

• insertrockaphoto 1-11.jpg
    insertrockaphoto 1-11.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 24

elchicano

Apr 14, 2012
I have recently been thinking of doing the SS conversion on my LT. I had the opportunity a couple months ago to buy a used SS front bumper for $200, now I'm regretting not buying it.

bmartinezx3

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
CdnGMan said:
I don't even want to do the "conversion" per se... I'm just looking for the grill / crossbar so I have more options regarding the headlights, etc... and those things are damn near extinct up here... :mad:

You can use a grille off a earlier TB cause they also had the crossbars on the headlights. I still haven't found a SS grille either so ill be using my Lt grille for a bit until i find one.

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
bmartinezx3 said:
You can use a grille off a earlier TB cause they also had the crossbars on the headlights. I still haven't found a SS grille either so ill be using my Lt grille for a bit until i find one.

Then he would have to change out bumpers, or live with a gap/hole between the grille and bumper.

bmartinezx3

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
CdnGMan said:
Correct... with Canyonaro being an '06 LT, it has the same grill lines as the SS - the gap isn't acceptable... :no:

Yup, just a suggestion as a cheap temporary mod until an SS grille presents it self. cause we know how hard to find they are.

bmartinezx3

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
UPDATE:
Yesterday the bumper spacer came in and today the bumper braces came in. I dropped Ruby off at the paint shop just now, he said it should be ready by monday or tuesday.

still havent found a SS grille though :no:

bmartinezx3

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
UPDATE: PICTURES!!

I Really wanted to hold off on pictures until i picked it up and had the chance to wash it but here are a few pictures i took today. just some teasers for now until i pick it up tomorrow:wink:

View attachment 26509

im taking the billet grille off and putting the regular mesh one on most likely and just deal with the gap for a while
View attachment 26510
View attachment 26511

Attachments

• tbssrearpaintedphoto 2-12.jpg
    tbssrearpaintedphoto 2-12.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 18
  • tbssfrontpaintedphoto 3-9.jpg
    tbssfrontpaintedphoto 3-9.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 14
  • painteddashphoto 5-2.jpg
    painteddashphoto 5-2.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 19

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
bmartinezx3 said:
im taking the billet grille off and putting the regular mesh one on most limey and just deal with the gap for a while

That doesn't look bad at all dude!! :thumbsup:

Why don't you look at simply continuing the billet down to fill that gap?? That would look pretty badass I'm thinking... :yes:

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Now just lower that hog and u'd have an awesome stance on your good looking clone..

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
jrSS said:
Now just lower that hog and u'd have an awesome stance on your good looking clone..

Just do this ....I wanna do this sometime in the future. Just not right now. I would need a whole other intake for this setup

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361834251018.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361834251018.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 18

bmartinezx3

Original poster
Apr 6, 2012
jrSS said:
Just do this ....I wanna do this sometime in the future. Just not right now. I would need a whole other intake for this setup

where would i find a grille like that? i'm buying new headlights anyways so this would definitely an option

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
jrSS said:

i have a fwi and want to do exactly that except no crossbar just a wide open grill

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Adungyyy

Staff Online