Most Undervalued Aspect of your GMT???

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
Jkust said:
You'd love the hugely improved steering in the 9-7 if you like the TB's.

9-7 ?...:confused:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Ghost said:

The GMT360 known as the 9-7x that included an 'improved' steering ratio among the dozens of other unseen changes.

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
Jkust said:
The GMT360 known as the 9-7x that included an 'improved' steering ratio among the dozens of other unseen changes.

Ah, thanks. Just learned something new ! 73

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
dougman said:
My only hated design is the electronically controlled fan clutch. So prone to failure, and conservatively tuned.

So bad was this experiment that they went back to the more reliable old fashioned viscous clutch for 2008.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Ghost said:
Ah, thanks. Just learned something new ! 73

Also know as the Trollblazer as in Trollhatten, Sweden.

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
Jkust said:
Also know as the Trollblazer as in Trollhatten, Sweden.

Haha ! Really ? Thats interesting!

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Anybody else got any good thoughts on this thread? I know my original post talked about the steering feel, but I'm not sure whether or not I mentioned how well my steering wheel self-corrects at low speeds. The current full size GMT platforms all require effort to re-center when turning at low speeds, but my Envoy XL is so smooth as silk, I can let it correct itself all day.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
2.7:1 transfer case. Many dont realize we are lucky to get that.

I remember one winter about 4-5 years ago when an Excursion literally had it's wheels off the ground trying to make it out of a parking lot when we had about 18" of snow. His buddy had a Tahoe and I drove by offering assistance and he asked.." Do you have a strap" I said yes and he was over joyed that the fact a GM may pull out his behemoth Ford.

I had wet pavement but in 4LO I easily dragged him to the street,....in a diagonal fashion :biggrin:. I actually thought the strap was going to break or my receiver was going through his windshield but no harm done...just his pride I suppose. I really didn't need to apply much power and was amazed at the pulling power.

One other thing I greatly appreciate is the tight turning radius of the SWB models, only other vehicle I have driven that turns sharper is a Jeep Wrangler.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
gmcman said:
One other thing I greatly appreciate is the tight turning radius of the SWB models, only other vehicle I have driven that turns sharper is a Jeep Wrangler.
Not the new ones...we can turn sharper. One of things that helps me keep up on trails.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I got spoiled on the turning radius. My Camaro has a faster steering ratio but it doesn't turn as sharp. I keep forgetting this and end up looking like a retard who can't park when I drive the Camaro half the time :crazy:

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
One thing that i know a lot of gmt owners dont use is the trailer hitch. I think its awesome that it was a standard feature because the way its installed is a finished look whereas some vehicles that have an aftermarket hitch look out of place. I will have to give a 1+ on the steering. I have actually been thinking how much i like the steering on my 370 lately. Its nice and light but gives good feedback. But the handling itself is pretty poor. Especially since i have all original suspension components with over 150k mi on them. I feel like i wouldn't notice if someone took my shocks off

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
AV8ER said:
One thing that i know a lot of gmt owners dont use is the trailer hitch. I think its awesome that it was a standard feature because the way its installed is a finished look whereas some vehicles that have an aftermarket hitch look out of place. I will have to give a 1+ on the steering. I have actually been thinking how much i like the steering on my 370 lately. Its nice and light but gives good feedback. But the handling itself is pretty poor. Especially since i have all original suspension components with over 150k mi on them. I feel like i wouldn't notice if someone took my shocks off

Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com
$231 for a set of 4 Bilstein HD

RockAuto Parts Catalog
Down to suspension, Shock mount, Moog K6702 $29.79, get two of them.

AND FIX IT :biggrin:

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
AV8ER said:

Man, I have Bilstein HD's all around, Airlift 1000 in the rear springs, Hotchkiss rear sway bar with front poly bushings, and my Envoy XL handles like a CAR. Yes its true, I can take windy backroads at 70mph with no body roll and I stay firmly planted. I even do drifts around slick turns when the pavement is wet and it never feels like its going to topple, even going 30-40 mph. Its just a shame our trucks weren't engineered with seats that even attempt to hold you in place :tongue:.

These upgrades take it from being a poor handling SUV to a great handling extended length SUV. I have absolutely no understeer at all. In comparison, I try to drive my GMC Acadia at the same speeds on the same roads, and not only do I have to go slower around the bends, but I experience significant sidestep, accompanied with MAJOR understeer.

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Ghost said:
Dont mean to hijack but can all that be installed with hand tools ? If no how much would it cost to pay a shop to do it ? I have the ext its like a caddy on a 3' lift

I did it all with hand tools. Rears are stupid easy. You'll need a spring compressor for the fronts (I rented one). Or you could probably take the fronts to a shop and pay them like 30 bucks or whatever to swap the springs over to the new shocks + mounts. A spring compressor isn't hard to use however, just takes a lot of cranking to be done by hand and can get your arms a bit tired by the time you're done :biggrin:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Ghost said:
Dont mean to hijack but can all that be installed with hand tools ? If no how much would it cost to pay a shop to do it ? I have the ext its like a caddy on a 3' lift

Rears are easy to do yourself. Installing the front shocks takes about 1 hour rate. I payed a local Muffler Man shop $120 to install my Bilstein HD's for me. Well worth it for not having to disassemble the springs. Just make sure to get the top shock mounts replaced as well.

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
Thanks sparky and denali for the info! The bilstein hd have been talked about for awhile but ive never ordered Them. Hope to soon as well as the new shock mounts that i am now aware of needing

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
Thanks sparky and denali for the info! The bilstein hd have been talked about for awhile but ive never ordered Them. Hope to soon as well as the new shock mounts that i am now aware of needing

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Mooseman said:
So bad was this experiment that they went back to the more reliable old fashioned viscous clutch for 2008.

Yup and it works great too. Keeps theair pretty cold even sitting at a light on a hot day. Keeps the needle planted right in the middle no matter how hot it is.

Ghost

Jun 1, 2012
Four of these:
3001737.jpg

And 2 of these:
getimage.php

Nice! This will stiffen up the ride ? I just may make the purchase today:biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Ghost said:
Four of these:
3001737.jpg

And 2 of these:
getimage.php

Nice! This will stiffen up the ride ? I just may make the purchase today:biggrin:

Prolly but definitely the wrong thread..

andrew4321

Jan 28, 2012
The very wide range of movement our HVAC vents have seem to be undervalued. The wide range of movement is especially useful when trying to dry coffee off of ones pants!

dougman

Mar 15, 2012
Well, I have to admit that I'm about to leave the club. My TrailBlazer will soon be up for sale. I bought a 2008 Acadia. I needed more space for the family, and as much as I've loved it, I can't stand the too tall, too narrow for it's length look of the EXT. Driving the Acadia is a TOTALLY different experience. Love the 6-speed - with lower gearing, it's easy to forget about the extra 500 pounds of extra weight being carried around by a less powerful, smaller engine, and I'm getting a solid 3 MPG better in city and highway. However, it's HARD to drive compared to the relaxed feeling of the trailblazer. Yeah, it doesn't roll as much. It drives more like a car. It has a much faster steering ratio, and not nearly as tight a turning radius. It takes a lot of focus to keep it on the road. So much for my relaxing long highway drives to Texas. At least I'll have something to keep me alert. On the other hand, despite purported reliability issues, I think it's a solid vehicle and I appreciate the drastic build quality improvements to the interior and aero improvements. It's much quieter in both city and highway driving aside from my currently noisy Goodyear Eagle RS-A howlers.

So now I really appreciate even more the cushy, but still in control ride of the TrailBlazer and the slightly disconnected, yet wonderful steering. No, it's not a sports car, but if you're not looking for that, it's sure is a wonderful vehicle to drive any distance in. And parking? I think only the Chevy Sprint my family had when I was in High School which could do a 7-point u-turn in a two-car garage could beat it's parking capabilities. Goodbye Homer, I feel like I'm selling a kid, or at least a kidney.

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
dougman said:
Well, I have to admit that I'm about to leave the club. My TrailBlazer will soon be up for sale. I bought a 2008 Acadia. I needed more space for the family, and as much as I've loved it, I can't stand the too tall, too narrow for it's length look of the EXT. Driving the Acadia is a TOTALLY different experience. Love the 6-speed - with lower gearing, it's easy to forget about the extra 500 pounds of extra weight being carried around by a less powerful, smaller engine, and I'm getting a solid 3 MPG better in city and highway. However, it's HARD to drive compared to the relaxed feeling of the trailblazer. Yeah, it doesn't roll as much. It drives more like a car. It has a much faster steering ratio, and not nearly as tight a turning radius. It takes a lot of focus to keep it on the road. So much for my relaxing long highway drives to Texas. At least I'll have something to keep me alert. On the other hand, despite purported reliability issues, I think it's a solid vehicle and I appreciate the drastic build quality improvements to the interior and aero improvements. It's much quieter in both city and highway driving aside from my currently noisy Goodyear Eagle RS-A howlers.

So now I really appreciate even more the cushy, but still in control ride of the TrailBlazer and the slightly disconnected, yet wonderful steering. No, it's not a sports car, but if you're not looking for that, it's sure is a wonderful vehicle to drive any distance in. And parking? I think only the Chevy Sprint my family had when I was in High School which could do a 7-point u-turn in a two-car garage could beat it's parking capabilities. Goodbye Homer, I feel like I'm selling a kid, or at least a kidney.

Wait until you want to drive the Acadia on some fun back roads and watch how much understeer that thing gives you. I agree in that they require more touch and adjustment to drive. Our GMT's are so easy to keep pointed straight down the road and just cruise right along.

andrew4321 said:
The very wide range of movement our HVAC vents have seem to be undervalued. The wide range of movement is especially useful when trying to dry coffee off of ones pants!

Now that is an aspect I never would have considered... seems like you figured that one out in an unfortunate manner :tongue:.

filthyfingers

Lifetime VIP Donor
Apr 7, 2012
For comparison purposes, I'd like to know the turning radius of the earlier models. Anybody know the specification?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
filthyfingers said:
For comparison purposes, I'd like to know the turning radius of the earlier models. Anybody know the specification?
What earlier model?

filthyfingers

Lifetime VIP Donor
Apr 7, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
What earlier model?
Mine is a 2002 voy SLE. Earlier in the thread a post said the turning radius changed on "later models". I've never owned a vehicle that can make a tighter U turn. Can't live without it!

Reactions: SnowBlazer

TimRXUV777

May 6, 2014
TollKeeper said:
This is so simple for me.. The XUV part of it. I can put my personal stuff back there, that I need under lock an key, without clogging up the passenger area. Then when I need it, I can retract the roof, carry home a tree, take the ATV to the shop/trail, take the snowmobile to the shop/trail, just whatever I need. Then when I am traveling on the cheap, I can lay down in the back, without some damn 3rd row passenger seat being in my way. I beleive the XUV to be the most under apreciated car made of all time.

There is only one thing that I wish GM had done for the a option for all cars. HUD. This is by far my most favorite feature on my Aztek, and my Grand Prix.
I totally agree with this post. My XUV is really under appreciated. If I have the top open I have strangers come up to me and comment on how cool that opening roof is.
As observant members know, I have even posted a topic in this forum on somehow modifying a HUD to make it usable in a vehicle like the XUV. That is one thing I do miss from Grand Prix - the HUD. It is interesting that GM is trying to correct its earlier mistake and now seems to be including a HUD system on a lot more of its new cars, including most Cadillac CTSes.
Also, I do really like the ride my XUV has, It has the air ride suspension. I think the longer wheel base of the 305's help with ride quality. it is very smooth and just communicates enough of the road surface to be useful. For work, I drive a lot of rental cars and have never felt remorseful to return any of them. I was thinking the other day that if my XUV was a rental I would really regret having to turn it back in. It is one of the few vehicles that I have driven in the last ten years or so that I am glad i can keep.

Gutless

May 27, 2014
My v8 rainier at least-

Sizewise, it fits everywhere a mid sized sedan will. I park next to a 08 Taurus and 06 grand prix and im shorter and just as wide as it. Parks in my small garage no prob. Parks places few 1500 pickups built after 2000 will fit.
Spacious inside
Cheap GM parts
Towing capacity equal to an 1500 pickup
Air suspension on the back so if im towing it doesnt sag
Built in air compressor

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
filthyfingers said:
Mine is a 2002 voy SLE. Earlier in the thread a post said the turning radius changed on "later models". I've never owned a vehicle that can make a tighter U turn. Can't live without it!
The age or year does not matter. The model does since they have different wheelbases between the 305/360/370.

I love the turning radius. Really shines in the tight trails where the jeeps i wheel with need 3 point turns. My 1st gen s-blazer was the tightest turning I ever owned though. Those things were awesome for spinning around.

Reactions: djthumper

filthyfingers

Lifetime VIP Donor
Apr 7, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
The age or year does not matter. The model does since they have different wheelbases between the 305/360/370.

I love the turning radius. Really shines in the tight trails where the jeeps i wheel with need 3 point turns. My 1st gen s-blazer was the tightest turning I ever owned though. Those things were awesome for spinning around.
Best turning radius EVER! Just got a ticket for illegal (otherwise very tight) U-turn - $160. No regrets - well maybe a few...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86