LS vs LT

RDUNick

Original poster
Member
Mar 11, 2013
9
Hey folks,

I feel like I've found a pretty decent deal on an 06 TB EXT LS.

Can some of you that are more informed about these models tell me what I'm giving up if I don't go for the LT?

Thanks,

Nick
 

Boricua SS

Member
Nov 20, 2011
3,080
Ohio
from my understanding, its like a 1SS compared to a 3SS...

so with that being said... an LS is a base model, chrome grille crossbar through the headlights, cloth seats, no steering wheel controls, manual HVAC and rear controls, no heated seats, no memory seats, etc... just a base base model... and LT... pretty much opposite of what i listed... Heated leather seats, steering wheel controls with a DIC, memory seats, adjustable pedals (in some TB's), digital HVAC controls, outside mirror turn signals, heated mirrors... pretty much all the bells and whistles...

i think that about sums it up for you.... others will chime in if i've forgotten anything...
 

Robbabob

Member
Dec 10, 2012
1,096
not an expert either. the EXT is the extended version with 3rd row seating. then the LS portion is the lower model, non-extras. I assume there is an EXT LT version.
 

jrSS

Member
Dec 4, 2011
3,950
Lt's have about 5 more hp too.(kidding) Oh and don't forgot sun roofs.
What's a decent deal? Mileage? Maintenance is gonna be expensive on a higher mileage tb. Good luck and post pics of your new ride if you get it. :smile:
 

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
jrSS said:
Oh and don't forgot sun roofs.

<------- Has an LS with a sunroof :biggrin:
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
Boricua SS said:
from my understanding, its like a 1SS compared to a 3SS...

so with that being said... an LS is a base model, chrome grille crossbar through the headlights, cloth seats, no steering wheel controls, manual HVAC and rear controls, no heated seats, no memory seats, etc... just a base base model... and LT... pretty much opposite of what i listed... Heated leather seats, steering wheel controls with a DIC, memory seats, adjustable pedals (in some TB's), digital HVAC controls, outside mirror turn signals, heated mirrors... pretty much all the bells and whistles...

i think that about sums it up for you.... others will chime in if i've forgotten anything...

Also depends on the year, as some years had LTZ.

Every trim level had a min and max base option package. You could get an LS optioned out pretty darn close to a base LT for example (mine is that way), though some things you couldn't get until the next trim level (no fogs on LS, steering wheel controls, no heated seats for example). You can get heated mirrors on the LS however (mine does).

dcmtnbkr said:
<------- Has an LS with a sunroof :biggrin:

Factory installed or added on later? My LS has a sunroof, but it was actually not part of the original vehicle build spec. Someone had a dealer install an OEM sunroof in my truck at some point. I certainly don't mind, but the sunroof was not on the original build sheet and the sunroof fuses in the box don't actually power the sunroof (there is aftermarket wiring and fuses in my dash for it).
 

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
Sparky said:
Also depends on the year, as some years had LTZ.

Every trim level had a min and max base option package. You could get an LS optioned out pretty darn close to a base LT for example (mine is that way), though some things you couldn't get until the next trim level (no fogs on LS, steering wheel controls, no heated seats for example). You can get heated mirrors on the LS however (mine does).



Factory installed or added on later? My LS has a sunroof, but it was actually not part of the original vehicle build spec. Someone had a dealer install an OEM sunroof in my truck at some point. I certainly don't mind, but the sunroof was not on the original build sheet and the sunroof fuses in the box don't actually power the sunroof (there is aftermarket wiring and fuses in my dash for it).

Ha! This explains the missing compass/thermometer that compnine says i have! Someone must have added it after the fact. :lightbulb:

::EDIT::

Nope

CF5 ROOF,SUN,GLASS SLIDING,ELECTRIC ELEC SUNROOF(GLASS)(CF5)
 

C-ya

Member
Aug 24, 2012
1,098
Robbabob said:
I assume there is an EXT LT version.

Yep, that's what I have.

It's pretty optioned out. The only thing mine doesn't have that I care about (and plan on remedying) is an autodim mirror. My mirror is direction only. Of course it has Death Star on the mirror, but I disconnected the box so I could care less about that. Temp is not important as the outside temp is displayed on my HVAC control. I just really like the autodim on the wife's Impala.

I'm sure there are a couple of other options out there (built-in DVD maybe?), but my truck isn't missing many. Heated mirrors - those would be nice here in MI.
 

RDUNick

Original poster
Member
Mar 11, 2013
9
Here's the info I have on it so far.

2006 TB EXT LS
4WD
4.2 I6
Black exterior
Grey leather interior
Sunroof
DVD system in headrests (assuming aftermarket)
3rd row seating
151,000 miles

Starting price is $5000

The mileage is higher than what I would ideally want but I have been searching for the past couple of weeks and this seems to be the norm for this price range at least from what I have seen.

Thoughts and input are greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:
 

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
RDUNick said:
Here's the info I have on it so far.

2006 TB EXT LS
4WD
4.2 I6
Black exterior
Grey leather interior
Sunroof
DVD system in headrests (assuming aftermarket)
3rd row seating
151,000 miles

Starting price is $5000

The mileage is higher than what I would ideally want but I have been searching for the past couple of weeks and this seems to be the norm for this price range at least from what I have seen.

Thoughts and input are greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Milage seems a little high for the price. Do you need the ext and what city/state are you in?
 

Bub

Member
Nov 21, 2011
159
Boricua SS said:
from my understanding, its like a 1SS compared to a 3SS...

so with that being said... an LS is a base model, chrome grille crossbar through the headlights, cloth seats, no steering wheel controls, manual HVAC and rear controls, no heated seats, no memory seats, etc... just a base base model... and LT... pretty much opposite of what i listed... Heated leather seats, steering wheel controls with a DIC, memory seats, adjustable pedals (in some TB's), digital HVAC controls, outside mirror turn signals, heated mirrors... pretty much all the bells and whistles...

i think that about sums it up for you.... others will chime in if i've forgotten anything...

mine is an LT and i have none of those options. I have 4wd G80 and a 17" wheel package. cloth seats, no fogs single cd. who know
 

RDUNick

Original poster
Member
Mar 11, 2013
9
dcmtnbkr said:
Milage seems a little high for the price. Do you need the ext and what city/state are you in?

I don't need the ext/xl but it would be a very nice to have.

I live in Raleigh, NC but don't have a problem with taking a trip to pick up the right vehicle.



Also, ran the VIN info through CompNine and the one mentioned above appears to have been a fleet vehicle for Enterprise Rental that came out of the factory with cloth seats and no sunroof. As such I'm less inclined to go with that.
 

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
RDUNick said:
I don't need the ext/xl but it would be a very nice to have.

I live in Raleigh, NC but don't have a problem with taking a trip to pick up the right vehicle.



Also, ran the VIN info through CompNine and the one mentioned above appears to have been a fleet vehicle for Enterprise Rental that came out of the factory with cloth seats and no sunroof. As such I'm less inclined to go with that.

Cars for Sale: 2002 GMC Envoy 4x4 SLT in Clayton, NC 27520: Sport Utility Details - 341135255 - AutoTrader.com
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
To me, my LS was fully loaded. PW, PL, tilt wheel, CC, CD player, dual zone AC, rear controls, tinted glass, G80, 3.73, rear defroster, 17 inch wheels, chrome accents in and out. More options than most vehicles I would consider. I dont have a need for DIC or navigation that does not allow me to listen to cd at the same time. I added leather, the only LT option I really would have liked.

Basically. The LS is a nicely equipped truck, but if you get off on bells and whistles and extra crap...you may want an LT.
 

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
HARDTRAILZ said:
To me, my LS was fully loaded. PW, PL, tilt wheel, CC, CD player, dual zone AC, rear controls, tinted glass, G80, 3.73, rear defroster, 17 inch wheels, chrome accents in and out. More options than most vehicles I would consider. I dont have a need for DIC or navigation that does not allow me to listen to cd at the same time. I added leather, the only LT option I really would have liked.

Basically. The LS is a nicely equipped truck, but if you get off on bells and whistles and extra crap...you may want an LT.

Did you have the leather done or did you buy seats from a salvage yard? How much did it run you?
 

Jkust

Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
We've had this discussion before. I've got a buddy with an LT ext without a single option except 4wd. Completely stripped down to the bones and only a 4.2.
I'm aways railing on this but this very reason is why I've got the Rainier and the 9-7...every single option they offered (except the 6.0 becuase of the aweful mpg)...plus you can listen to a cd and use the nav at the same time on the 9-7 but I mostly just listen to internet radio through the rear dvd system. I like options in every car I have and won't buy a vehicle without everything that was offered with few exceptions. It's all for free when you negotiate used.
 

RDUNick

Original poster
Member
Mar 11, 2013
9
Found an '02 LTZ with 135k miles on it for $4500.

3.73 gears with the G80.

Going to look at it later today.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
dcmtnbkr said:
Did you have the leather done or did you buy seats from a salvage yard? How much did it run you?

Bought GM leather covers for $100 on CL. Lady had them sitting for a couple years. She could not remember what she paid, but knew she got them at the dealer. Most people do not realize it was not factory.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Jkust said:
I'm aways railing on this but this very reason is why I've got the Rainier and the 9-7...every single option they offered (except the 6.0 becuase of the aweful mpg)

You are missing low range and 2wd.... Pretty important options to some.
 

RDUNick

Original poster
Member
Mar 11, 2013
9
Jkust said:
We've had this discussion before. I've got a buddy with an LT ext without a single option except 4wd. Completely stripped down to the bones and only a 4.2.
I'm aways railing on this but this very reason is why I've got the Rainier and the 9-7...every single option they offered (except the 6.0 becuase of the aweful mpg)...plus you can listen to a cd and use the nav at the same time on the 9-7 but I mostly just listen to internet radio through the rear dvd system. I like options in every car I have and won't buy a vehicle without everything that was offered with few exceptions. It's all for free when you negotiate used.

I can understand that view.

My other cars are an Audi S4 and an Enclave CXL. All the bells and whistle in both of those and love having them.

This one I'm getting will be my daily driver and something I will take a few (3 or 4) times a year to the beach with friends.
 

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
RDUNick said:
Found an '02 LTZ with 135k miles on it for $4500.

3.73 gears with the G80.

Going to look at it later today.

Looks like a better deal IMHO
 

Robbabob

Member
Dec 10, 2012
1,096
RDUNick said:
Found an '02 LTZ with 135k miles on it for $4500.

3.73 gears with the G80.

Going to look at it later today.

So you know.. the G80 is locking differential. A must have for the real 4x4 nut that goes where no person goes.... :smile:

edit: oops, already covered that...
 

RDUNick

Original poster
Member
Mar 11, 2013
9
Robbabob said:
So you know.. the G80 is locking differential. A must have for the real 4x4 nut that goes where no person goes.... :smile:

edit: oops, already covered that...

I appreciate you pointing it out just the same Rob.

I've been doing my research and that was one of the things I discovered so seeing that on the list of options was a check in the YES column.

Now if only this LTZ had the 5.3 and third row. Though I did find an '04, with 150k miles like that, but the guy wanted $11k for it. :eek:
 

Jkust

Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
HARDTRAILZ said:
You are missing low range and 2wd.... Pretty important options to some.


I can understand if you off road but we use the shit out of our trucks in spots where you're going to have a problem without some front wheel power even with the g80 and g86. Point is I bet a small percentage of people use them to the extent we do, and 3 AWD's later, it's never so much as made me second guess the choice. A pepsi challenge of non offroaders with AWD would need to happen to prove my years of experience with the effectiveness of the 4awd system.
 

HARDTRAILZ

Moderator
Nov 18, 2011
49,665
Jkust said:
I can understand if you off road but we use the shit out of our trucks in spots where you're going to have a problem without some front wheel power even with the g80 and g86. Point is I bet a small percentage of people use them to the extent we do, and 3 AWD's later, it's never so much as made me second guess the choice. A pepsi challenge of non offroaders with AWD would need to happen to prove my years of experience with the effectiveness of the 4awd system.

Even without offroading...I would not consider a vehicle with awd when I could get the same platform with selectable 2wd and low range. Those are options I can't give up, but BS creature comforts you brag on...I can. Hell I can add all the creature comforts pretty cheap, but 4x4 lo is one tough thing to add to this platform. Been a couple of us discussing ways for a good while now and it still is eluding us.

I understand you do not need 4lo, but "I'm aways railing on this" gets me when you list the merits of your choices, but forget to mention the lack of 2wd and 4x4lo that a potential buyer may want to know about. I would love a 9-7 but without low range...I won't own one. Nice trucks, but not for me.
 

Jkust

Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
HARDTRAILZ said:
Even without offroading...I would not consider a vehicle with awd when I could get the same platform with selectable 2wd and low range. Those are options I can't give up, but BS creature comforts you brag on...I can. Hell I can add all the creature comforts pretty cheap, but 4x4 lo is one tough thing to add to this platform. Been a couple of us discussing ways for a good while now and it still is eluding us.

I understand you do not need 4lo, but "I'm aways railing on this" gets me when you list the merits of your choices, but forget to mention the lack of 2wd and 4x4lo that a potential buyer may want to know about. I would love a 9-7 but without low range...I won't own one. Nice trucks, but not for me.

Good points...just difference of opinion. I'll take the form over function and live with the shortcoming of AWD when they finally show themselves. Now take this discussion to the boat towing forums and guys with 2wd trucks will argue all day long how unnecessary 4wd is. Just try to sell a truck based suv or truck with 2wd here in MN...
I think it's odd that the Tahoe SLT comes with selectable 4wd but the Denali package and the Excalade only come with AWD. That one baffles me.
 

silverunicorn

Member
Dec 4, 2011
327
Little late to the party, but I have an LS with 6 disc factory Bose radio, factory sunroof, and cloth interior. I added the compass and temp mirror, heated signal side mirrors and SS shifter knob. If those last 3 matter to you, they are very easy to add to an LS model.

The sunrof, not so much.


Chris
 

navigator

Member
Dec 3, 2011
504
the 06 has about 15 more hp than the 02.
seems like the 02's had some electrical gremlins in the 4wd, faulty encoder motor or something, others will likely chime in.

Make sure you ask if the fluids have been changed on schedule, especially if the xfercase fluid has been changed every 50k.
Make sure to try out the 4wd.

15k miles wouldn't really matter to me but $500 would :smile:
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
02s had faulty TCCMs, but that's an easy fix and many 02s have had that done already by now. Just get a newer TCCM from another Trailblazer or Envoy and plug it in (NO Bravada, Rainier, or 9-7x TCCM as that won't work). The only risk is A4WD not working right if it was originally out of a vehicle with a different gear ratio is what I was told, but A4WD really shouldn't be used anyway.
 

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
RDUNick said:
Found an '02 LTZ with 135k miles on it for $4500.

3.73 gears with the G80.

Going to look at it later today.

Did you look at it?
 

BoldAdventure

Member
Jun 28, 2012
1,634
Jkust said:
I think it's odd that the Tahoe SLT comes with selectable 4wd but the Denali package and the Excalade only come with AWD. That one baffles me.

That's marketing. Years of convincing people that AWD will somehow make them safer in certain conditions and situations than 2WD. Just like all the people who believe a bigger car is automatically safer than a smaller one. The AWD is on those models because it's amid an an audience like you.
 

Denali n DOO

Member
May 22, 2012
5,596
Jkust said:
Good points...just difference of opinion. I'll take the form over function and live with the shortcoming of AWD when they finally show themselves. Now take this discussion to the boat towing forums and guys with 2wd trucks will argue all day long how unnecessary 4wd is. Just try to sell a truck based suv or truck with 2wd here in MN...
I think it's odd that the Tahoe SLT comes with selectable 4wd but the Denali package and the Excalade only come with AWD. That one baffles me.

Yukon comes with 5.3L or 6.0 L on a 2500, selectable 4wd. Yukon Denali's and Escalades come with a 6.2 L AWD.
 

Jkust

Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
mikekey said:
That's marketing. Years of convincing people that AWD will somehow make them safer in certain conditions and situations than 2WD. Just like all the people who believe a bigger car is automatically safer than a smaller one. The AWD is on those models because it's amid an an audience like you.

That's funny because I called my wife this morning and told her to switch the Yukon to auto 4wd from 2wd since we have freezing rain and bad driving conditions today. If ever there was a reason for auto anything...it is her. She can't remember to even charge her phone at night most nights. Plus just take a look at the pretty bad crash tests of our platform. Good sized, heavy trucks that don't do well in the tests. Now you've got me wanting to youtube the Yukon NHSTA crash results.
 

RDUNick

Original poster
Member
Mar 11, 2013
9
dcmtnbkr said:
Did you look at it?

I did and it didn't impress me.

There was an stain (oil or something really dark) on the carpet, the steering wheel leather was really worn out and a few other things that just didn't give me the warm and fuzzy feeling.
 

DDonnie

Member
Mar 26, 2012
2,631
RDUNick said:
I did and it didn't impress me.

There was an stain (oil or something really dark) on the carpet, the steering wheel leather was really worn out and a few other things that just didn't give me the warm and fuzzy feeling.

How did it drive?
 

mnypitTBEXT

Member
Jan 29, 2012
133
RDUNick said:
I did and it didn't impress me.

There was an stain (oil or something really dark) on the carpet, the steering wheel leather was really worn out and a few other things that just didn't give me the warm and fuzzy feeling.

Not for nothing, but my TB had a worn steering wheel and extremely stained carpet when we got it at 52k. The dealer was supposed to clean the carpet but did a halfassed job and the wife picked it up and signed off, so we were stuck.

I replaced the wheel with an SS wheel and pulled out the interior and pressure cleaned the carpet and it looks like new now. Took about a week of working on it every night after work but it was worth it in the end.

I think the carpet in these things is prone to staining for some reason, and it is a PITA to get all the stains out without drastic measures.

Incidently, I have an 05 TB EXT LT and mine has the 5.3, 373 locker, leather, rear a/c, third row seating, entertainment/DVD system, Bose multi disc in dash stereo, digital a/c, driver info center, but NO sunroof or heated seats. It is 2wd, which is fine in Florida, and it tows my over 5k lb boat with 7 passengers and all our gear for a weekend without issue. I have pulled it in and out of the worst ramps around. I put in a lot at a ramp where a guy in a 4x4 Silverado slid down the ramp and sunk. The guy panicked and had to be pulled out before he drowned.
 

Jkust

Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
mnypitTBEXT said:
It is 2wd, which is fine in Florida, and it tows my over 5k lb boat with 7 passengers and all our gear for a weekend without issue. I have pulled it in and out of the worst ramps around. I put in a lot at a ramp where a guy in a 4x4 Silverado slid down the ramp and sunk. The guy panicked and had to be pulled out before he drowned.

Have seen the same thing for trucks without a locker but with 4wd meaning. I've actually seen it happen with full sized trucks trying to get tiny 14 foot tin boats out of heavily used ramps. They don't know how to heal-toe it either. You can potentially never need the 4wd but it's an insurance policy for the outlier times when it's needed. The reason a non 4wd truck here is almost sacreligious. Plus many of our boat ramps suck badly and are miles away from civilization.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,400
Posts
638,838
Members
18,614
Latest member
dakis

Members Online